Tokyo Marui HK416D

I had planned on taking her out on the 2nd, but that turned out to be the day that the extended family ended up coming over for New Year celebrations, and I couldn't get out of it for a game :(

I am heading to a local field on Sunday and will report back.

IB Medic

I don't think that it's an issue of Marui not being able to drop the EBB thing, it's a matter of it being a great system that is extremely popular here in Japan and is helping Marui remain on top of the market local. I know a number of people that have found it hard to go back to a regular AEG after using an EBB, but I understand that everyone has their own opinion. This is mine, and respect your.

The grip is very comfortable for my hands, and I have always replaced my M4 with magpul MOE grips because I don't like the "bump" at the second finger, but the 416 isn't an issue for me.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You must be a Snickers, because you satisfy me.   Marui appears to have gone through great pains to copy some of the main features of the HK416. When using the weapon these features become obvious.

Well its arrived , and is with out hesitation the best feeling AEG I've ever held ! Yes a bold statement but I really stand by it . The feel is just amazing , the weight , and just solidness to it to

Well finally got to scurmish mine today and considering its practically new out of the box and had had probably fewer than 200 BBs thought it before today , it IS the best AEG I have ever used ! The r

Posted Images

The EBB issue is very polarizing.  People either love it or hate it.  And the divide is pretty illustrative of the widening gap between the skirmishers and the cosplayers in airsoft.

The Tokyo crowd was always more cosplay than skirmish.  Sure, there's occassional guy with shorty M4 that is clearly more about killing than looking good, but the majority of player deck themselves out in obsessively detailed cosplays of US (ironic) spec ops.  To that crowd, EBBs are totally legit as they represent a much more reliable alternative to GBBRs.

In HK, they also have their cosplayer types, but those "tier 1 operators" get a lot of hate from the average player that leans more towards skirmishing than looking good.  Combined with the over inflated price of the yen, you see very few EBBs here.  I can't remember the last time I've seen one actually.

EBB & Gas Blow Back is about staying as true to the whole aspect of milsim which is what airsoft is all about in my mind. The reason why I left airsoft in the first is the amount of people who just slap on a box mag on their aeg running ridiculously high rof. Sure they get a lot of kills, but it doesn't take much skill to spray and pray. so to each and their own. This is my first return to AEGs from gbb in like 4 yrs, as right now it's the best compromise between reliability and realism. I can't wait to get it up and running just waiting on getting my battery. 

Here's my contribution:

img4705p.jpg

• Like 1

The EBB issue is very polarizing.  People either love it or hate it.  And the divide is pretty illustrative of the widening gap between the skirmishers and the cosplayers in airsoft.

The Tokyo crowd was always more cosplay than skirmish.  Sure, there's occassional guy with shorty M4 that is clearly more about killing than looking good, but the majority of player deck themselves out in obsessively detailed cosplays of US (ironic) spec ops.  To that crowd, EBBs are totally legit as they represent a much more reliable alternative to GBBRs.

In HK, they also have their cosplayer types, but those "tier 1 operators" get a lot of hate from the average player that leans more towards skirmishing than looking good.  Combined with the over inflated price of the yen, you see very few EBBs here.  I can't remember the last time I've seen one actually.

I agree to disagree, with your first statement.

I think people hate it, because their either 1) have not handled one or 2) dont understand it at all. People I know that have used it extensively, claim they most likely will not use another AEG/GBB system for the time being. The EBB system beats every other AEG system out there in the market in my opinion.

I have seen quite a few EBBs around, having owned 3 myself though the prices are steep.

IBMedic, have you owned or used the EBB?

If you are in HK then I think your points make sense, as it is probably much cheaper to get local AEGs then it is to buy Marui EBB at current exchange rates.

Having owned 6 EBB (Socom x2, Sopmod x2, Scar, G36, Recce, HK416) I am a convert. As posted above, I hate the game that emulates speedball, and would rather quit the game than use a hi-cap and play spray-and-pray. The EBB M4 allows me to use real count and maintain a small sense of realism. Each to their own, and I respect that we all play for our own reasons.

Anyway, hope to use it Sunday and will post a report :)

• Like 1

IBMedic, have you owned or used the EBB?

If you are in HK then I think your points make sense, as it is probably much cheaper to get local AEGs then it is to buy Marui EBB at current exchange rates.

Having owned 6 EBB (Socom x2, Sopmod x2, Scar, G36, Recce, HK416) I am a convert. As posted above, I hate the game that emulates speedball, and would rather quit the game than use a hi-cap and play spray-and-pray. The EBB M4 allows me to use real count and maintain a small sense of realism. Each to their own, and I respect that we all play for our own reasons.

Anyway, hope to use it Sunday and will post a report :)

For EBBs I've owned:

TM AK74MN

TM AK74U

Ares G36C

APS AK74

I've also used the TM SOPMOD M4 extensively.

They do have a place in the market, but it's a pretty small niche, which is why Ares, VFC, and G&G have moved away from it.  You don't see it on many new guns in 2012.

As GBBRs become more readily available, cheaper and more reliable, the EBBs position erodes.

Against non blowback AEGs, the EBB models represent numerous mechanical problems.

I don't think Marui will keep going with the EBB thing forever.  When I was Tokyo talking to the tech in Ehigoya, he mentioned that the most common mod he does is removing the EBB feature from TM's latest models.

Medic , give it a rest mate people reading this thread want to hear about the TM416 not arguments about different platforms , if you want to start a discussion on the subject start another thread . Ginga , can't wait for the in-field review matey , I own 5 TM EBB's and am itching for another !

I agree to disagree, with your first statement.

I think people hate it, because their either 1) have not handled one or 2) dont understand it at all. People I know that have used it extensively, claim they most likely will not use another AEG/GBB system for the time being. The EBB system beats every other AEG system out there in the market in my opinion.

I have seen quite a few EBBs around, having owned 3 myself though the prices are steep.

Where exactly in Afghanistan do you get EBBs!? :)

I'm clearly on the "never use another non EBB AEG" bandwagon though right now I want to learn about the AK so due to lack of funds I got a Cyma AIMS (romanian AK).

No EBB like Marui but what I lack even more is the need to charge the weapon after an empty mag :(

What intrigues me most abotu the Marui System is that we have a lot of players around Romania that are clearly cos-players, spend thousands of dollars on RS systemas or VFCs or other top dollar AEGs, but never gave thought to owning a Marui EBB :(

Edited by elanaiba

Jebus IBmedic. Way to high-jack this.  We get it, you don't like EBB's and have a judgement on anyone that uses one. Go hang out in the VFC 416 thread since you hate the Marui so much.

EBB's are a great alternative to GBBR's (especially if you live in a place where GBB's aren't practical most of the year), or people who are bored of standard AEG's. Theres a gun for every type of player, why single one out and *suitcase* on it? 

Personally I haven't met a person who has test shot an EBB and didn't like it. The price was always the deterrent, but you get what you pay for.

I'm gonna break your stereotyping right here. I'm not into crazy cosplay, I don't wear anymore kit than the average person. But I love my EBB. Give me a mid-cap and a 7.4 lipo and I'm in heaven. Limited rounds and recoil add to the challenge of trying to be combat effective with a 6mm bb. 

Ginganinja: really looking forward to your skirmish review! I'm wondering if there is really any difference in stock performance compared to past M4 EBB models.

• Like 1

Ginganinja: really looking forward to your skirmish review! I'm wondering if there is really any difference in stock performance compared to past M4 EBB models.

Exactly my thoughts , my Scar was so much more smoother than my socom/Sopmod so I'm hoping the 416 will be better again .

Jebus IBmedic. Way to high-jack this.  We get it, you don't like EBB's and have a judgement on anyone that uses one. Go hang out in the VFC 416 thread since you hate the Marui so much.

EBB's are a great alternative to GBBR's (especially if you live in a place where GBB's aren't practical most of the year), or people who are bored of standard AEG's. Theres a gun for every type of player, why single one out and *suitcase* on it? 

Personally I haven't met a person who has test shot an EBB and didn't like it. The price was always the deterrent, but you get what you pay for.

I'm gonna break your stereotyping right here. I'm not into crazy cosplay, I don't wear anymore kit than the average person. But I love my EBB. Give me a mid-cap and a 7.4 lipo and I'm in heaven. Limited rounds and recoil add to the challenge of trying to be combat effective with a 6mm bb. 

+1 mate. 7.4 lipo and a mid cap and you can't go wrong, Tried a socom and ended up with a socom, a SCAR L and an H! Just saving up for a 416 now. Can't wait for the " in anger " review.

As GBBRs become more readily available, cheaper and more reliable, the EBBs position erodes.

Medic, you're entitled your own opinion but this is spreading false facts. Since when have GBBRs have been more reliable than a marui EBB lol. If you're comparing GBBR to ares EBB then fine since i have no experience with one. But if you're trying to discredit marui EBBs, then that's where the  line needs to be drawn. 

When i had a GBBR, it was fun for a handful of shots but then it suffered cool downs, gas mag leaks, slow rates of fire, the list goes on. You can perform all the maintenance issues you want, but the reliability is nowhere comparable to a marui EBB. I've had my TM SOPMOD since 2008 and put thousands upon thousands of rounds (a tiny fraction of the round count from a GBBR cannot attain without modifying periodically). The only failures I had on the sopmod was the batteries running out. Therefore, I dont see how GBBR can overtake EBBs in reliability. You can make a case with pricing and availability...reliability is just a big lol when comparing the two. 

Don't feed the troll, please!

Rant over.

I picked up mine from the PF depot this morning and I'm literally cradling it as I type this  :rolleyes:

All I can say is, it's exquisite and thank you Echigoya for posting it out so quick (1 week door to door) and packaging up so well.

Sorry for feeding the troll. Second post made my fingers snap and type uncontrollably

Exactly my thoughts , my Scar was so much more smoother than my socom/Sopmod so I'm hoping the 416 will be better again .

I got my Recce second hand from a friend who had a full Magic Box upgrade to the gearbox. I was barely satisfied compared to a stock Sopmod. Got my Scar and that thing just flies! Tried the same small stick battery for my Recce and my stock Scar just blew it out of the water with the ROF. Who knows, maybe my Recce just needs some love. I'm hoping for a audible difference compared to our circa 2008 made sopmod/recce/socoms!

Bladerunner may I ask how much did it cost you including import, shipping, etc?

OK, 1 TM HK416 plus 5 spare HK style 82rd mags plus postage came to USD 816.50, credit card showed this to equate to £520.57.

VAT, Duty plus PF fee came in at £89.36 (Echigoya under declared goods value) so total landed cost price was £609.93.

Now I'm guessing that when this comes to the UK, it'll retail for £550 going on past TM recoil products, 5 midcaps will cost another £110, total £670 inc delivery.

So, you're not really saving megabucks, just the satisfaction of owning it a lot earlier.

• Like 1
Sorry for feeding the troll. Second post made my fingers snap and type uncontrollably

I got my Recce second hand from a friend who had a full Magic Box upgrade to the gearbox. I was barely satisfied compared to a stock Sopmod. Got my Scar and that thing just flies! Tried the same small stick battery for my Recce and my stock Scar just blew it out of the water with the ROF. Who knows, maybe my Recce just needs some love. I'm hoping for a audible difference compared to our circa 2008 made sopmod/recce/socoms!

The M4 ebb platform was definitely good, but I think the scar platform is the king of all. I tend to believe this 416 performs the same as other m4s.

On the other hand after toying with the parts, i think most upgrades are not really necessary. The only internals that needed upgrade are gears and pistons. The rest should only be considered as spare parts.