Saiga 12K Build

PianoBlack

My comment was trying to say "dont put western optics into eastern guns" as some infidel put eo-tech on a PPSH.

Also while i do use EO-tech myself and kinda like it too i must remind ppl that its rather "huge" in size and looks very stupid on certain guns. Leaving a Saiga down to its irons also gives it more of a ranch-gun look a shotgun should have unless particulary meant to look "tacticool"

Not Saigas I know but, I'll just leave this here.... http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZXrogxDQ7rs/S819MBdhd0I/AAAAAAAAAC4/Dfjj7z8Zudo/s1600/13233-3-f.jpg EOtechs are ridiculously popular with units like Vympel now, I'd imagine that when choosing gear, whether or not something is "eastern" is not very high on their list of priorities. On a more related note, this build looks pretty damn awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing it built.

*Update*

I won two Saiga 12 5-round magazines on eBay which I will use for measurements and to see if it is feasible to mock up an AK74 magazine to resemble a Saiga 12 8-round magazine. Additionally, I've finished modifying the gas block so it properly resembles the S12K gas block. JB Weld Steel-Stik was the material used and it worked quite well. It was easy to file down once it had hardened as it's a steel-filled epoxy putty. I will have to paint it when the weather gets better. 1/2" 100 PSI POLY Pipe actually works as a good shim between the outer barrel and the copper pipe, which will make mocking up the outer barrel a lot easier. I still need to file off some of the rear of the gas tube so that the hand guard fits properly.

Pictures will be posted as soon as there's a substantial change.

Cheers,

Piano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*Status Update - 3/9/2013*

NewParts.jpg

Modified 5-round magazine to act as a shell for a modified midcap. Also pictured is the modified gas block.

The outer barrel arrived back from TNKGuns. The next step is to build up the outer barrel and affix the flash hider. I decided to go on a different version that had a 14mm version from CNCWarrior which I will be using instead. Expect further updates next weekend.

Cheers,
Batou
  • 1 month later...

Help meh! Where can i find the handguard !?

I was originaly going to buy it from a local gun-store but they dropped Saigas off their list allmost all together and wont be ordering from anywhere where they might get the handguard so im stuck. The one PianoBlack got.

Needs to ship "worldwide" / Finland. Also in demand: the gas-block(can i even buy that, fit that or is it very expensive?), top cover and maybe front sight-assembly.

I did however get a base for my project! Aaaand its not very good at but losers cant be choosers. ICS AK104. Has a solid non-folding stock and is full metal so it should suffice. I am worried how im going to manage all the small details on it tho. The front seems to aluminium so welding is a no no unlike Kalash/DB fronts that are steel nowdays and ICS wont fit anything past ICS of course :(

Hand Guard:
Have you tried eBay? That's where I got mine and you might be able to find a seller willing to ship you the part.

Gas Block:
It's very expensive and probably won't fit your AEG's barrel as the Saiga's barrel is bigger in diameter. I just modified my original gas block.

Top Cover:
Just modify your AEG's top cover. If you're careful, you can use the part you cut off to replicate the ejection port cover.

Front Sight:
I believe that rusmilitary.com has the clamp-on front sight assembly available.

I have not forgotten about this project, just been waiting for good weather for painting as it's been rainy, cold, or both here.

Cheers,

Piano

Its a bit embarrasing but ive NEVER bought ANYTHING off ebay so i dont really know how to even use it... Been meaning to make user there "one of these days" buuuuut it never happened. 

Can you link me one, one with buyout option and willing to ship anywhere? If i made a user, i could take it from there...

• 2 weeks later...

HELP ME! 

This turned out to be very big problem but not a single gun-store, used gun parts board or the allmighty google can find me a Saiga handguard. Only one i found was on Ebay and asking if the seller could send it outside US ended up in me being called a terrorist... 

Theres TWO versions of this handguard:

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/shotgun/sh07/saiga_12k-1.jpg

Wooden and the one in the picture. Eighter will do fine. Also if anyone knows where to get that sight, please link! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

Due to the type of games I've been playing and the need to fund my main guns (PKM & SR3), I'm going to be canceling the Saiga 12K project and soon will be putting some of the externals up for sale. I will leave all the images here to guide the next person.

The following steps are left in the conversion if anybody wants to pick up where I left off:

1. Affix a threaded portion to the outer barrel to mount the handguard.

2. Cut the top cover to better replicate the Saiga 12's actual ejection port.

3. Modify a midcap and the real magazine shell to work.

Cheers and thanks for all the support,

Piano

Archived