2013 HK Toy Fair

Fightingchook

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chook, you managed to exceed bandwidth on those photos. Mind dumping them on Photobucket, Imgur or any other image host?

Also, .308 Masada, UAR DMR, and you're saying there's some new WW2 guns coming?! Now I have absolutely no idea what to get first!

Public enemy has some great pics and videos ;)
Screen-Shot-2013-01-07-at-8.11.07-PM.png

Oh, guys, you missed another important photo:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-07-at-9.37.38-PM.png

That's a NotGlock. Following all the requirements of a NotGlock design while still looking Glocky enough. At least Glockier than KWA's ATP.

That's a NotGlock. Following all the requirements of a NotGlock design while still looking Glocky enough. At least Glockier than KWA's ATP.

Still looks about as interesting as a dead badgers hind bits. Why don't Glock just stop getting so uppity in the US and let other companies use the shape, even without the trades the shape of the Glock alone is basic enough and is what people want to use. Still it could be worse, I am sure many would choose this over the Cybergun traded dump. :P

Oh and can't view any of the pics on the first page and barely any on other pages, resize or get a better image hosting site. ;)

'FireKnife'

Still looks about as interesting as a dead badgers hind bits. Why don't Glock just stop getting so uppity in the US and let other companies use the shape, even without the trades the shape of the Glock alone is basic enough and is what people want to use. Still it could be worse, I am sure many would choose this over the Cybergun traded dump. :P

Hide your kids, hide your wife, Glock USA is suing everybody out there. And their lawyers are grade-A jerkwads. They sued the guy who imported Zoraki blank-firers that happen to look like Glocks and threatened to destroy him. There should be a link to that on my Tumblr, you know the address (also, funny story, pics of odd Mauser Broomhandle mod were reposted more times than those titty photos).

I want:

PDR

UAR (not sure on the DMR or just a regular UAR ...)

Kriss Vector

Everything ending in R it turns out.

There should be a link to that on my Tumblr, you know the address (also, funny story, pics of odd Mauser Broomhandle mod were reposted more times than those titty photos).

Shush we are not allowed to promote Tumblr here .... xD *looks at signature ...*

glock has a really retarded reason for their hatred of glock replicas. i is because the CEO of glock america will feel guilty if a kid were to lose his life to a cop if here were to get shot for holding one...

incidentally, it did happen in Texas last year and that replica looked as much like a glock as that APS one. P99 ish grip, HK slide scallops and a rounded trigger guard. Umarex was selling it and it was subsequently banned after the incident.

Am I the only one who can't view the picture or make the links mork?

Well if you ask Mork (or to a lesser extent Gork) then he might help you :P.

But no many of the pics on the main page don't work, think the user has exceeded bandwidth.

'FireKnife'

glock has a really retarded reason for their hatred of glock replicas. i is because the CEO of glock america will feel guilty if a kid were to lose his life to a cop if here were to get shot for holding one...

incidentally, it did happen in Texas last year and that replica looked as much like a glock as that APS one. P99 ish grip, HK slide scallops and a rounded trigger guard. Umarex was selling it and it was subsequently banned after the incident.

Banning those type of children might have better results.

Am I the only one who can't view the picture or make the links mork?

No. They don't mork, 'cause they're bork'd.

Shush we are not allowed to promote Tumblr here .... xD *looks at signature ...*

Ah, FireKnife knows my Tumblr because of his... other interests. ;)

Hey guys!

Here’s my post on the HK Toy Fair 2013!  I went there this afternoon (and I was supposed to go early today, but had stuff to do) and I walked past all the booths.  The main booths that are of interests are APS, KWA / Magpul PTS, and WE.  Allizard was at the KWA booth entertaining tons of people coming over to take a peek at the Magpul (it’s KWA + Magpul, but given the booth was set up with Magpul’s aesthetics I’ll refer to the booth as the “Magpul” booth from now on) and James at WE was also getting a lot of attention too.  I had the great opportunity to speak to both at the Toy Fair today, and I would first and foremost want to thank them for their time and their help in showcasing the upcoming products for this year, along with other stuff.

I didn’t know anyone at the APS booth however, as they’re not particularly ‘active’ on airsoft forums (at least for Arnies), but I would also like to thank them nonetheless for their time today.

Oh and a warning first:
33054829_zpsc96bfb89.jpg

Please, please PLEASE read the huge wall of text that I painstakingly wrote for all of you guys as I try my best to recollect what I can remember from today.  Before I continue to rub it in all your faces that I managed to have such an incredible experience today (and then some of you will rub it in our faces for the upcoming SHOT SHOW) I would like to disclaim that I was not prepared to receive so much info at the Toy Fair, and I wrote all my notes down on the back of a brochure only.  So I may have missed some stuff that I asked about today.  Fear not, I’ll be going back to the Toy Fair on their last day (Thursday) because I’m planning to take fellow forum member Fiddlesticks to the Toy Fair as he’ll be in HK; so I’ll be prepared to take notes down when I go back to the Toy Fair this coming week.  Also; I realised I’m super chubby thanks to my steady diet of ice cream and chocolate when I saw the pics and video I took today, so yeah…you’ll see my ugly mug further down this post :P  Lastly; my phone camera has software issues where it’ll gimme a bunch of pink lines when it’s aimed at something that’s too brightly lit.  So the coming pics and video will look slightly off; but the guns themselves will look fine in the pictures.  This is annoying however; so if anyone has any suggestion to fix it, please let me know!

Now, onto the good stuff! :D

Upon entering the entrance on the most convenient side of the convention hall, I was already greeted by both Magpul’s booth and APS’s booth.  Kudos to them for getting probably the best booth stalls in the convention hall, which is evident when tons of people were in their booths looking at the airsoft guns and I’m sure more than half haven’t even experienced airsoft before (being vendors or whatever from other toy industries).  Both stores were particularly eye grabbing and as FC noted APS managed to get their name on the adverts for the Toy Fair brochures.  Below I’ll be going through each booth respectively based on when I visited them.

APS Booth

20130108_173300_zps02bdfa02.jpg

20130108_173309_zps52f37194.jpg

Now the APS booth had displays of all their current AEGs (I think) but the main reason for me to go there was for the UAR; both the long one and the short one (which is in retail now).  I questioned the APS staff (didn’t ask for his name though, sorry) and he said that with their new gearbox, it’s all TM compatible.  That said, I’m sceptical as there might be some parts which are off-spec compared to Marui’s, so I’ll try to reconfirm again on Thursday.

Here’s the the UAR that is available right now:

20130108_154359_zpsaef46372.jpg

20130108_154453_zps1409a7a8.jpg

20130108_154437_zpse0975ec3.jpg

20130108_154322_zpsefdb4847.jpg

And here’s a pic of the front end, which surprisingly there isn’t a pic of currently on the airsoft stores:

20130108_154338_zps0ec8a67c.jpg

The UAR’s bolt stop is on the back of the stock and you push down on a square button to release the bolt (once you lock the bolt at the back that is).  My brief look through the bolt cover shows that the design of the hop chamber is indeed the sliding arm AK style.  The UAR is surprisingly comfortable for me, and I’m of an average Asian build.  The mag release is the black button that my trigger finger is covering in one of the pics above, and there’s also a flush, black square button at the back (where the slope of the receiver connects to the magwell) that is also a mag release.  The button is black for both the DE and BK models; and the bolt release is the same colour as the receiver (so it’s DE for the DE gun).

Here’s the UAR Long decked out all DMR-like:

20130108_154247_zps4836acea.jpg

20130108_154224_zps7ca724ac.jpg

No estimated price apparently, and it’s going to be released within this year.  So, for those of you who are *fruitcage* huge (like Darklite :P) you might want to hold off on getting the short UAR and wait for the long one if you think the currently available UAR is too short on ergonomics for you.

Well; that was it for the APS booth.  I saw some of their new M4 style guns like the Guardian series and I didn’t care for it personally, so once I molested the UAR enough I left for the Magpul booth.

KWA / Magpul PTS Booth

As are all of Magpul’s aesthetics in their shop/display designs; the booth did not disappoint.  A quick glance and you can tell this is Magpul if you’re familiar with airsoft.  Here are some pics of the booth; and I’ll go through the more ‘exciting’ guns in the booth below:

20130108_172808_zpsed4c02fe.jpg

20130108_172757_zps941a09f0.jpg

20130108_172748_zps60b28ca4.jpg

20130108_172742_zps68c6a61a.jpg

20130108_172733_zps15134bdb.jpg

20130108_172723_zps81bf721e.jpg

I met Allizard standing right at the booth entrance as he was talking to other people, and once we got acquainted he showed me around the new releases and KWA/PTS collaborations that are coming out this year (IIRC all of them are coming out this year).

I was first shown the Mega Arms GBBR. 

20130108_160255_zpsf6e1ed30.jpg

20130108_160318_zpse67a3ebd.jpg

First thing you’ll notice is how sexy it is; and when your eyes start to readjust you’ll see that it has the STR stock (though I forgot if it comes with the gun; guess I’ll need to ask on Thursday!).  Oh and the STR stock will be released in the first half of this year.  The Mega Arms has the thin small MOE grip as well, and with me being a retard forgot to take a close-up pic of the trades.  I hope the pic above is high enough in resolution for you guys!  I’ll retake the pics next time.  The receiver and everything is chemically coated (I’m not familiar with chemical coatings; so I hesitate to say it was anodized).  The gun was rock solid in my hands, and Allizard said that the Mega Arms M4 has improvements built into it that addresses all of the problems with the LM4, and one of the main things he pointed out was that you can power stroke the Mega Arms as opposed to the LM4.  Now I’ve never handled the LM4 before nor read up reviews of it as I am not in the market for one; so I can’t comment on this further.

Then, I was shown the new Masada GBBR.  This time, it’s not a rehash of the extremely disappointing Beta Project take on the GBBR Masada, but rather this is the KWA’s take on the GBBR system:

20130108_160353_zps53466d50.jpg

You’ve all seen how the Masada looks like and it takes little to no imagination as to how it will be as a GBBR; so I skipped taking a picture of the whole gun.  The picture above is just the bolt and bolt carrier of the Masada to show that it’s the GBBR version.  Allizard noted that the lasered trades on the Masada you see above is just a prototype; the final GBBR version will be the same as the Magpul PTS ACR that has the engraved trades.  The KWA Masada will take KWA 5.56 magazines (which therefore if the KSC STANAGS are the same as the KWA ones then the KSC ones should fit too) and the trigger group is the same as the KWA M4.  I asked about the possibility of having a GBBR Masada AKM being developed in the future and Allizard said that KWA are considering it as they already have the Kalash system done, and the AK74 mags for the system.

I then asked about having the new hop up retrofitted onto the old KSC pistols as I know a lot of you guys are itching to up the performance on your USPs and whatnot; and Allizard said that all the pistols will soon transition to having the new hop up; which I take it to mean that sometime in the future the new batches of the old pistols will have the new hop up system in them.  I asked about whether one can expect to be able to buy kits from KWA USA to change their current old hop system to the new one sometime in the future, and Allizard IIRC said there is a possibility.

I tried asking about the Makarov GBBP’s release date as I’m itching to get one for myself, but Allizard cannot give me any comment on that.  Sorry Fireknife; I know you’re eagerly waiting for that as well, but no new info for now :P

Next, I was shown the upcoming KWA ERG M4, which is a collaboration by KWA and Magpul.  Again, being completely blown away with the ERG (I’ll go into that later) I forgot about taking a picture of it :(  That said, I took a video comparing the LM4’s recoil (a GBBR) and the ERG.  If you cannot tell from the vid below; the ERG’s recoil is the same as the GBBR’s recoil.  Now, I’ve never handled the TM EBB guns before but I’ve heard from friends that they just feel like a shoulder massager when fired; but I can tell you that the ERG’s recoil impulse is a sharp kick (forgot whether it’s to the front or back, I’ll check again on Thursday) and from what my friends have told me about the TM EBB, the ERG definitely beats the TM hands down on the recoil.  The gun was also chemically treated in colour as opposed to painted and again, it felt rock solid; just like the Mega Arms M4 GBBR.  The ERG should be available in HK in the middle of the year IIRC.  I remember one of the staff telling me the ETA but I don't fully remember whether it's the middle of the year and it seems like I didn't write it down.  I'll reconfirm on Thursday :D

Oh yeah, here’s the vid :P:

Again, the camera’s FUBAR’d..someone please let me know how I can fix the camera issue XD

The price will be around HKD 4,000 locally, so you guys can expect similar pricing around the world by converting HKD 4k to USD.  The mags which I DID take pics of, are similar to the TM ones being that you can take the internals out and switch the mag to hold either 30 or 60 rounds.  The mags have an extended follower like the PTW, and therefore will feed to the very last round of the mag:

20130108_161351_zpsffa1597b.jpg

20130108_161405_zps08ead27d.jpg

I just realized I forgot to ask about the muzzle energy and the rate of fire on the ERG sample (I think it was on a 11.1v lipo….; I’ll ask again on Thursday!).

The standard AEG mags will feed in the ERG except that it can’t simulate bolt lock (oh, and the fake bolt piece doesn’t move as well).  The hop up chamber is similar to the TM EBB design, being that it has a drum dial like the TM EBB chambers or the pro-win AEG ones.  The bolt lock mag, though when I compared with the standard AEG P-Mag looks very similar in dimension, cannot feed in the standard AEGs.  We tried it on the PDR (more on that later) and it fired off 1 shot before the PDR ran out of battery.  We tried it again later and we couldn’t get the mag to sit properly in the PDR.  If you try fitting the new bolt locking P-Mags in a standard M4 AEG the PTS staff told me it should shear off the extended follower when the nozzle tries to chamber it into the barrel.

Next I looked at the Iron Ridge 7.62 NATO rifle:

20130108_160534_zps2df792aa.jpg

20130108_160541_zps7401b9ae.jpg

The one they have on display was unfortunately a prototype only and I was told that it should be released by the middle of the year.  The gun again is rock solid (seriously they are very VERY impressive externally and to give you guys a gauge of my opinion I find the G&P externals; bar the LMT MRP, be lacking in general.  The quality is akin to the old Avalon stuff).  Again, forgot to ask what the muzzle velocity out of the box will be, so I’ll ask on Thursday.  Oh and the PTS staff say that some of the peripherals will not be on the gun, like the mono-pod, VFG, and RSA.  The BattleComp may not be in the final production one either, along with the MBUS sights.

Lastly, I had a look at the PDR, which a bunch of you guys are eagerly looking forwards to sleeping with it at night :P  Anyway, cutting to the chase I didn’t take pics of it because there’s no point; and the PDR will be released late January or early February.  The PTS staff told me that because of the massive demand for the PDR, and that they have limited production capabilities the first batch will be hard to get and I think not everyone can get one if you’re on the pre-order list; at least in HK…there’s more PDRs shipped overseas so it might not hold true for you guys.  One thing I also took note of was the lipo they used for the gun:

20130108_161710_zpsf4be8d17.jpg

This lipo was quoted to me by the PTS staff to be able to shoot somewhere around 1k bbs before the lipo is out of juice (you get what I mean; they’re not saying that it’s 1k when you drain the lipo completely because the lipo will be damaged).  Here’s a pic of the lipo compared to the size of an AEG P-Mag and a KSC Glock extended mag:

20130108_161726_zps8bf95659.jpg

That should give you guys some perspective on the size of the lipo used.  I asked about the grip extension for the PDR as well which should allow you to hold a larger lipo.  I tried asking to see if we can fit stock tube lipos into the extended grip as I think this is what everyone wants, but the PTS staff cannot tell me anything in regards to that.  That said, one of the staff said the extension cannot be too long anyway or else there’s a risk that you bang the extension whilst skirmishing and the grip splits at the extension joint.

WE Booth

I was surprised to be walking past the WE booth when I saw James discussing the WE line of products to a potential buyer.  Again, I quickly got acquainted with him and started to ask him stuff that I think most of you guys are interested in (along with myself).

I was in a hurry when I was at the WE booth, so I didn’t take pics.  Perhaps I’ll take some on Thursday XD

Anyway, first of all, the SCAR-H GBBR is back on the drawing board!  YES THAT’S RIGHT, YOU GUYS WILL HAVE YOUR SCAR-H IN GBBR FORM! :D  However, on the downside the P90 GBB will not be released due to licensing issues.  James said the Asia edition of the SCAR will have no trades (so, a blank gun) and the US ones will have some sort of markings on it.  I didn’t ask what kind of markings though; but perhaps it’s the same as the current SCAR-Ls with the mk17 mod 0 markings laser etched to the receiver.

The SCAR-H Katana system is also coming out soon, within this year actually.  James cannot give me a more precise date for that product.

Some of you guys were concerned with the WE M4 Katana system where the upper is only held by a pin from the lower to the cylinder assembly of the gun, and that such design will lead to a wobbly upper.  James assured me that they have tested the design extensively and they have no issues with the cylinder being the rear mounting point for the upper.  The sample he had also didn’t have any wobble in it.  James told me that WE are planning to do a Katana M249 kit for their ‘M4’ Katana system too.

Oh I also asked about a GBB UMP as I see a lot of you guys are wetting yourselves at the thought of a GBB UMP, but sadly James told me that due to licensing issues they cannot do a GBB UMP.

Now, many of you are waiting for the MP5 GBB.  James said that it’ll be out in HK in 6-8 weeks, so expect 2 more weeks before it gets to your local airsoft store I suppose.  The MP5 series will have all the variations from J-stock to SD I believe.  Didn’t ask whether all the MP5 models will be released at once but I think the logical answer would be no; but just remember your favorite MP5 config will be possible in the future, in GBB form.

James said that WE are focusing their efforts on their GBB pistol line.  He said that WE will be doing a GBB version of all the popular pistols (well, all the pistols if possible, unless there’s licensing issues or if the real steel is ugly XD).  This means that for those waiting for the FNP45 it’ll be a reality sometime in the future!  I specifically asked about the FNP too and I requested James to make sure they do the combat/tactical model with the red dot sight capable FNP :P   WE are also going to revamp their old style pistols like the 2011 and 1911 series; so look forward to improvements with the WE 1911 legacy style pistols in the future.  James said that they’ll redo the M9 first, and I gave feedback to him to tell the WE techs to make sure the decocker is functional, unlike the old M9.

James also let me know that WE is working with a reputable US company in bringing specialized, niche versions of several pistols, namely the M&P, XDm and the Glock…..go figure :P

Oh and interestingly James was talking about how they are improving on the gas system on their pistols with every new design to weed out the flaws in the gas system.  He told me that the WE M&P uses a v2.0 gas system and the XDm actually has a v1.5 gas system.  Whatever the differences are between the two the main point is that WE is continually looking towards improving their current pistol lineup and you can expect the future GBBP’s WE is bringing out to be more and more reliable.

Lastly, James said that WE will be opening a wholesale HQ in the EU and US soon (forgot if it’s within this year).  This means that in the future, getting access to WE guns overseas in the respective continents will be much more easier than before and you’ll be able to order replacement parts easier too.

A&K PTW

Holy I almost forgot about this.  Basically I saw the long awaited A&K PTW…but there’s no pics of the internals other than this:

20130108_162912_zps944e0630.jpg

20130108_162917_zps6b5f0368.jpg

20130108_162927_zps6f0f7228.jpg

The guys stationed at the booth took a video of me taking pictures….and I think they were doing this to everyone.  Perhaps they’re trying to figure out if any other companies were spying on them or perhaps they are Chinese government people (or on their payroll) to weed out the airsoft guys in China (as it is illegal to manufacture and I think own airsoft guns in China).  Regardless; I couldn’t care less as I’m basically doing them a favor advertising their guns, but their video taking is just mind-boggling at the very least because if they were trying to weed out industrial spies the pics I took (and CAN take) are practically useless as they just cloned the PTW…I mean, if I wanted internal pics I can grab the Systema PTW ones online and they should be the same anyway (with the Systema one being the original too…).

Annnd that about sums up my trip to the Toy Fair today.  Now; since I’m going back on Thursday; for those who have managed to read my whole post and still have questions that they want me to ask at the Toy Fair, please let me know below and please sum it up concisely in sentence form.  I have a feeling that there might be a lot more questions that I missed out on asking today, so if you guys can give me your questions concisely that’ll facilitate me in asking them on Thursday.  I would like to go through the previous posts from this as well to pick out your questions, but I’m really busy tomorrow and I don’t have the time to try and summarize everything before this post.  If possible, can those who have asked questions that I’ve not yet answered please reiterate it again in a post below?  Thanks in advance and I hope to be able to get you guys more answers on Thursday! :)

If that GBBr ACR is as solid and reliable as the LM4, that's gonna be a must-buy.  Especially seeing as I've got the mags already, which is one of the biggest expenses with GBB rifles.  Had no idea that was in the works at all, very nice surprise (as are the details of the Mega Arms rifle) so thanks for delving in to find all this stuff out itinerious, excellent reporting.

Is there any info on that Shriek by APS? Im sure a field mate will be very interested in it

Got any links/pics, etc. I can refer to?  I'll note this down :P

EDIT:  Forgot to mention the ERG's bolt plate does not move unlike the Marui.  I rather have the ERG's design though; the bolt plate moving doesn't do much for me when the main selling point is the recoil and bolt lock :D

Archived