2013 HK Toy Fair

Fightingchook

But you see one of the inherent flaws of a realistic tear down is that you are building a system to fit a pre-requisite appearance and design.This is based on LM4 vs KJW. those gas gearbox abominations are dumb... and unless you want to drop some serious cash a WA based GBBR just isn't skirmishable.Having minor differences at the cost of reliability is a major plus to me, after all I don't field strip my weapon unless I'm cleaning it or have a catastrophic malfunction in the field, I don't need to train in how to clean my weapon, and 90% of the catastrophic malfunctions that would require a tear down can't be replicated with a BB. So as long as it goes bang and behaves like my real one the end result is the same, innards aren't as much of a big deal.

I see what you're saying. To me, the importance of the inners, is that by replicating the internals (to a point), there's no real reason the externals can't be bang on the money.....for training and simulation, accurate weight, size and therefore handling becomes a reality....people talk about Training Weapons, if it ain't a well made gbbr, then it's a toy (you know what I mean).

So this is why I despair at G&G, with they're funky bb gearbox???? WTF....and even, to a lesser point that Polar Star system with it's VFC AEG received set and air-rig! Sure these things may function really well, but it's change for changes sake, and (IMHO) gives nothing back to airsoft or the players. Just another way to get poor.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

talking with Hikaru when he visited my shop in NY, he confirmed that the gearbox is derived from Marui's recoil engine  they just modified it to work better at a higher FPS level like they did with the standard gearbox. its completely possible that they paid the needed royalties to Marui to do so.

talking with Hikaru when he visited my shop in NY, he confirmed that the gearbox is derived from Marui's recoil engine  they just modified it to work better at a higher FPS level like they did with the standard gearbox. its completely possible that they paid the needed royalties to Marui to do so.

Just for the record, BOTH TM recoil shock and KWA KFS (Kinetic Feedback System) have their own patented design.  KWA 3GX gearbox on the Magpul RM4 have similar concept compared with TM 2nd gen but the design of the recoil system is COMPLETELY different.  

hey, i just saw a picture of an SVD with the top cover off from the show. it looked like the springer version as you can clearly see the cylinder, piston and main spring coming out of the bolt. but it was described as a GBB. the person posting the rifle had no idea what it was so he just said it was "another GBB SVD", i had just noticed that it was clearly a springer. i dont know what booth it was at, but did APS revive their hybrid GBB/Springer SVD?

hey, i just saw a picture of an SVD with the top cover off from the show. it looked like the springer version as you can clearly see the cylinder, piston and main spring coming out of the bolt. but it was described as a GBB. the person posting the rifle had no idea what it was so he just said it was "another GBB SVD", i had just noticed that it was clearly a springer. i dont know what booth it was at, but did APS revive their hybrid GBB/Springer SVD?

Sorry, I didn't bother with the other stuff in APS's booth as I didn't really have anything looking forward to from their booth personally.  Given that no one else brought it up before I went back that Thursday, I didn't ask :(

That said, I think if it's released under the APS brand it probably is an AEG.  IMO it seems like they leave their springer sniper rifles and other niche items like the sound nades and mortar under their Hakkatsu brand.

EDIT: Oops, should've read your post more thoroughly before I posted.

Any news on kwa pistol updates?

Only what I wrote in my first thread post.

I don't get it. Surely one of the biggest selling points for gbbr is the realistic strip down. If not, why would you bother, accuracy, reliability, and out and out function, go for a TM Recoil? Or better still a CTW / PTW? Unless I'm missing some hinden facet of gbbr's??? The biggest thing keeping me away from abominations like the G&G gas "gearbox", is that these guns seem to be gas for the sake of it, these guys are leaping on the bandwagon with a gbbr offering, but they're missing the point. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fun.

That's the missing component. ;)

eye watering costs - can be, but only if you want it to, KWA/KSC platform can be tuned to regularly reliable for less than US$100

unreliability - nahh, old school thinking

only works when the sun shines - why? is it solar powered?  :P

ebb/recoil aeg over gbbr - there's a place for both in my collection

Along with eye watering costs, unreliability, only working when when the sun shines etc. etc. Give me ebb or recoil aeg any day of the week!

I remember how a few years back everyone thought Lipo's would make them die in a fiery mess of battery acid, and now everybody's got them...

I remember how a few years back everyone thought Lipo's would make them die in a fiery mess of battery acid, and now everybody's got them...

Hey, I like living in 2007 thank you very much :P.

But no it is always the way someone will still cling to something not working as they expect. I personally would like a GBB but to field one up here would be suicide, due in part to the fact that it is hi-caps and hope.

However I still want to see more options on pistols.

'FireKnife'

The difference there is Lipos were an emergent technology and they hadn't quite gotten them right a few years ago and the price came down quite considerably, gas guns are a 20-30 year old technology that has reached a plateau now, but the price has gone from the days of a £100 Styer TMP to a £300 B&T MP9 by adding the guts of a (once upon a time)£60 glock...

Sorry, I didn't bother with the other stuff in APS's booth as I didn't really have anything looking forward to from their booth personally.  Given that no one else brought it up before I went back that Thursday, I didn't ask :(

That said, I think if it's released under the APS brand it probably is an AEG.  IMO it seems like they leave their springer sniper rifles and other niche items like the sound nades and mortar under their Hakkatsu brand.

EDIT: Oops, should've read your post more thoroughly before I posted.

Only what I wrote in my first thread post.

i know i was too late to really ask, i was just hoping someone had seen and asked about it. i had only just seen the picture the other night, nobody posted the picture here.

people seam to have forgotten that APS was going to do that and it would still be a better GBB SVD than the ones available now. id still like to buy one.

The AEG vs GBB discussion is old.

Yes GBBRs don't work well (or at all) in winter.

Yes, they jam more often

But (at least for my WAs) the jam on a GBB is easily cleared, while for pretty much any AEG (except for ICS and Systemas) it's gearbox time

Not so sure about the accuracy part. I don't hit any less with my GBBRs than with my AEGs.

Besides, I still have the impression people call their hits more readily with GBBs, because the loud bangs tell them they're getting shot at. Oh, silencers actually work with GBBs, because the sound exits the muzzle and not the motor grip.

They actually stop shooting when empty, unlike all AEGs except the truly eyewateringly expensive Systema. I'll have three Vipers for the price of one, thank you.

Oh, and yes, they are lots more fun to play than any AEG, TM next Gens included

Now there is a situation with TMs in Germany. They don't exist. Not the next Gens anyway. Don't ask me why, all excuses I've head so far were little more than exactly that. The only TM-NG you can buy is the Scar-H for 800 Euros (that's about 1000 to 1100 in Greens). Which is a joke.

The M4 never happened, the 416 likely won't (guess which country Umarex is from).

Same goes for KWA GBBRs. No where to be found. Though I'm having a hard time finding them in any of the large HK-based shops also.

I can positively say that I prefer GBBs to AEGs. Electric guns are a necessary evil to get through the winter. That's it. Temperature above 10 centigrade, I'm back to makin some noise :D

It kind of a question of priorities and tastes really.

Archived