British army to use Glocks

ED-SKaR

I've never fired a Glock but one thing's for sure I couldn't hit squat at 10m with the L9A1 but with a P226 at 25m I was able to get all my rounds onto the target board which surprised the hell out of me!

Sent from my Xperia Mini using Tapatalk 2

Its simply an attempt at making the British army look fashionable by colour matching the primaries and secondaries. :P

That would only work if the Glocks came with black frames, tan slides and OD controls. :cookiemonster:

My primary concerns are reliability and safety of drills with regards to holsters.  I do worry about the reports coming from the US with a lot of civilians saying the Gen 3 17s were much more dependable, I'm hoping that it's either a case of misrepresentation on the internet or the weapons produced for military end users are made to a higher standard with more robust QC processes.

We're also issuing out (exclusively from what I've seen) Blackhawk holsters, and the SERPA combined with the G17 is a recipe for disaster.  If they keep on requiring everyone to deploy with a rifle & sidearm as well as issuing SERPAs, then someone's going put one in their leg/foot because they failed to straighten their finger on the initial draw.  The L85 is already bad enough for people *fruitcage* up drills, definitely going to be a lot of NDs for a while after these start to trickle in.  I can also tell I'm going to have to spend a lot of time talking to people and calming them down when they exclaim "it doesn't have a safety?!?!?".

Overall though, it's a proven, modern design of pistol at a good price with plenty of support behind it.  Plus, now our rifles and our pistols are better than the American's (j/k, nobody wants to start that argument, I've probably only got about 50 years left to live).

That would only work if the Glocks came with black frames, tan slides and OD controls. :cookiemonster:

My primary concerns are reliability and safety of drills with regards to holsters.  I do worry about the reports coming from the US with a lot of civilians saying the Gen 3 17s were much more dependable, I'm hoping that it's either a case of misrepresentation on the internet or the weapons produced for military end users are made to a higher standard with more robust QC processes.

We're also issuing out (exclusively from what I've seen) Blackhawk holsters, and the SERPA combined with the G17 is a recipe for disaster.  If they keep on requiring everyone to deploy with a rifle & sidearm as well as issuing SERPAs, then someone's going put one in their leg/foot because they failed to straighten their finger on the initial draw.  The L85 is already bad enough for people *fruitcage* up drills, definitely going to be a lot of NDs for a while after these start to trickle in.  I can also tell I'm going to have to spend a lot of time talking to people and calming them down when they exclaim "it doesn't have a safety?!?!?".

Overall though, it's a proven, modern design of pistol at a good price with plenty of support behind it.  Plus, now our rifles and our pistols are better than the American's (j/k, nobody wants to start that argument, I've probably only got about 50 years left to live).

It's finalized. CKinnerly is both RAF Armourer AND Fashion Consultant.

At least our medics will get plenty of training on leg bullet wounds for a while always useful to know they're good when the time comes :P

The holsters arent Serpa's, spotted this video on YouTube yesterday

http://youtu.be/AAQ7smc3DGA

Which has also been reported on Soldier Systems, the new holsters use an enjection port lock instead of a trigger lock, which may mean they can build a holster which will accept various brands of pistol light where as the Serpa will only allow a BHI one (not that I think these can, just that one could be produced).

They're SERPA/other BH right now, that's all I was saying.

But it's a good thing they're upgrading, even if these are awfully similar.  The design looks pretty bloated and chunky, even more-so the QD system (having tried the BH one, really not a fan compared to the much slicker RTI).  But the main thing is that people's fingers shouldn't end up on the trigger with that angle on the release mechanism.

I'm pretty sure the Glock is well tried and tested by now.

As a field gun?

Don't really recall the Austrians being in that many conflicts and many of the other mainstream users are police and limited special forces. Chucking one out into some desert combat might lead to different results.

'FireKnife'

As a field gun?

Don't really recall the Austrians being in that many conflicts and many of the other mainstream users are police and limited special forces. Chucking one out into some desert combat might lead to different results.

'FireKnife'

More than just the Aussies use a Glock. Besides the BHP has always been poorly thought if. At least by the fellas I know. A replacement pistol is well overdue.

More than just the Aussies use a Glock. Besides the BHP has always been poorly thought if. At least by the fellas I know. A replacement pistol is well overdue.

Very true, but things like the M9 and the P226 have seen more action than the Glock in the field.

But then saying that as you get a Glock for about 50-66% of the above two it makes sense to go quantity for the Brit sidearm if they plan to roll it out to as many as they can.

'FireKnife'

Simply put, the P226 would of been a much better choice. Unfortunately there's this little thing called budget cuts that mean the best value sidearm needs to be used :P

I'm sure the Germans might have a few P1s and P5s left lying around, maybe we could have those for cheap? :P

'FireKnife'

Simply put, the P226 would of been a much better choice. Unfortunately there's this little thing called budget cuts that mean the best value sidearm needs to be used :P

It's a shame Sig aren't able to go lower with prices. They lost out on the huge M9 deal - They beat the M9 in testing, but just couldn't lower the price enough. They've made the same mistake with this, it seems.

It's a shame Sig aren't able to go lower with prices. They lost out on the huge M9 deal - They beat the M9 in testing, but just couldn't lower the price enough. They've made the same mistake with this, it seems.

Not quite. The cost of one SIG P226 to one Beretta 92F had the SIG winning, but Beretta offered to sell the accessories with the 92F for a better overall price and build a Beretta USA factory too (took them a lot longer than they said they would though). At the end of the day a great man once said 'remember that your kit is always provided by the lowest bidder'.

The Glock however is a more modern design, at the end of the day the Beretta is a glorified P38 and the SIG is just a hotch potch of parts that worked from other guns. When Glock made the 17 it was one of the first polymer handguns to enter full service (the VP-70 being the only other one and that was limited at best) and a striker system that hadn't really been done before with entirely new safety concepts. Now it is the design which many other generic holster fillers look to copying. The fact it is made cheap and the old ones used to explode when fired on occasion means they have come a long way.

Plus add in that they are easy to train people in (mag in, rack slide, aim and pull, safeties are all automatic) can be cleaned and stripped easily and have a very good hand to bore ration for controlled shooting they make a good choice in the eyes of the MOD, cheap, robust and easy to train with. No funny stuff, no issues with left and right handed operation (should be stroking a slide, not using the smaller catch the Glock uses and the mag catch can be made in left handed configuration) and something that everyone else seems to be moving over to.

'FireKnife'

• 4 weeks later...

Dear MOD if you're reading.  I'll take some of those Hi-Powers off you if you want.  Make a bit of money back from the Glocks?  £50 a piece.  Excellent deal I'm sure you'll agree.

Already sold to Tripoli!

Archived