Tokyo Marui GBB Magazines vs. The Rest of the World

Algy

I have a TM clone Glock 17 (HK) on the way, and am unsure whether to purchase WE/HK or TM magazines (I believe the two are compatible).

This got me to thinking about GBB magazines in general. I have a couple of KJW pistols (MEU, M9) with 3 KJW magazines for each. Out of a total of six magazines three of them have required fixing for leaks, out of the box. Now they are all leak free, hold gas well, and have enough capacity to empty all their rounds and lock back the slide.

I have never had any experience with TM magazines, but I’ve been led to believe that they are made to higher standards. Is the higher price of TM magazines fully justified?  Can anyone with experience of both comment on which they believe to be the better option?

Try asking Fireknife or posting in the Just Handguns section, as they'll be able to help you better.

Having owned only 3 TM pistols (P226 E2, Hi-Capa 4.3, MK23 SOCOM) and 1 WE pistol (Luger), my experience is that the TM mags are better than clone mags (MK23 clone mags triple-fed and had cheap crappy fill-valves).

I would pay the extras every time..............however, all 3 of my TM hi-capa 50 round mags leaked gas. Every other TM mag I've had has been a solid performer.

I started out with my KJW P226 and 5 KJW mags for it.  I've since sold 4 KJW mags and bought 2 TM mags instead.  Between my remaining multi-sealed KJW mag and my beat-to-hell TM mag, the TM maintains more consistent power, recoil, and will lock the slide back even after rapid fire, whereas the KJW mag starts failing after 5 or 6 quick shots.

In short, TM mags are worth the price tag.  All the fuss about them is justified IMO.

If you're going to get Marui mags for your HK3P G17, check to see what kind of loading nozzle you have. TMs have a curved nozzle that interfaces with the gasket on the magazine, whereas WE (and I'm guessing HK3P) has a flat nozzle and corresponding flat gaskets on their magazines. You'll have to get a new loading nozzle or magazine gaskets to have a better seal.

Source: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/207406-stark-arms-s18cg18cg17-gbb-magazine/?hl=%2Bglock+%2Bloading+%2Bnozzle&do=findComment&comment=2587556

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still 'umming and ahhing' as to whether clone or TM magazines are the better purchase. I'm leaning towards the TMs, but the miser in me is saying just buy the cheap ones and fix them up. 

If you're going to get Marui mags for your HK3P G17, check to see what kind of loading nozzle you have. TMs have a curved nozzle that interfaces with the gasket on the magazine, whereas WE (and I'm guessing HK3P) has a flat nozzle and corresponding flat gaskets on their magazines. You'll have to get a new loading nozzle or magazine gaskets to have a better seal.

Source: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/207406-stark-arms-s18cg18cg17-gbb-magazine/?hl=%2Bglock+%2Bloading+%2Bnozzle&do=findComment&comment=2587556

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I assumed that the WE/HK G17 was a direct clone of the TM. I suppose purchasing the TMs would incur the need to replace gaskets/loading nozzle.

The way I see it is that in general the Tokyo Marui stuff is better made, including their magazines. If they develop a leak it is normally just a case of tightening a single screw, as opposed to resealing them. That said...cost is a factor. When it's only a couple of euro, I'll go TM. Otherwise, when there are serious price discrepancies, I use clone ones and just do a bit of work on them (replacing fill valves for madbull ones etc) and although they are not as good as the TM...they still do the job

In reality it really comes down to what gun it is for.

Hicapa just get which ever is cheaper as i have no noticed no issues with KJW/TM/WE/Fang Paw mags bar the TM extended mag.

If you are having no issues with your current brand of Glock mag then stick with it. You know there is be no compatibility issues and in most cases saves you some money. If if have issues then switch as it's pointless buying if your are having problems with the current ones

Try asking Fireknife or posting in the Just Handguns section, as they'll be able to help you better

You rang?

Anyway in the case of magazines (well lets limit this to the mentioned TM, WE/HK and KJ ones) it is more about how you look after them than the maker.

If a magazine is given the proper care and attention it will serve you much better. The reason for buying a TM mag over say a KJ or a WE is that it is often made to a better quality level than the others, meaning that issues are less likely to develop but really if you make sure your mags are lubed, the seals haven't dried out or frozen and you leave a little tot of gas in them while they are in storage to hold the seals all will be well. The only big advantage I would say for TM mags is that they are often screwed than pinned which for those with a smaller toolkit or less desire to make things all fiddly is a good thing.

'FireKnife'

Stick with the brand the pistol is,  unless the stock mags are really poo,  then look into others.

TM Glock user.

Tried WE Gen4 mags, they fit and function,  bit not quite like stock TM.

Have a second hand Army G17 mag,  it has a TM inlet/fill valve and will be getting TM feed lips,  would have been better to just buy a new TM,  variation in router rubber,  mag dosen't quite fit as well.

HFC glock mags,  tried them, fit and function,  but also not quite as good a fit as stock TM.

I have 3 TM pistols, and 8 TM mags and 1 Army mag.   Clones of clones may well fit and function,  but for me they are just enough off to put me off using them.

I would stick to same brand mags as pistols,  it's just easier.

Was thinking of getting some WE mags,  but after seeing and trying them.....  the owners new WE G18c is on it's third loading nozzle, the 50rd mag snapped the follower,  he has bought TM 50rd mags instead.  The WE's fit and function,  but now of the mindset only to use TM mags in TM pistols.

In 4years i just had one TM mag fail,  it's been left empty and stored cold,  the base seal has contracted.  Warmed the mag through, jab of gas, slow leak,  bit more warming, another jab of gas, leak slowly stops,  mag is tight again. My fault for miss storage.

They all suffer from the same problems and all brands need a bit of looking after or they will all leak,  i would say from others i have seen.....TM are still made from cheap material but appear to be better material than used by others, stock valves are very good,  feed lips and followers are robust,  and of course most of the aftermarket spare parts are based around a TM mag so spares if needed can be got.

Thanks for all the opinions, I suppose the question was far too broad and subjective to be definitively answered, as it seems that the quality of various pistols differs so much. But you've given me something to think about.

As Dagonet suggested, what I think I'll end up doing is sticking with the WE/HK magazines, I haven't heard anything bad about those particular magazines, and if problems develop I'm confident in being able to fix them. I'm thinking of getting a TM pistol at some point in the future, probably the M9A1, so I'll be able to make direct comparisons for myself then.

The old TM M9 mags, while compatible, are the old pinned style base.

I don't know whether they bothered updating the mag design when they released the new one or not though, maybe someone with a new one will chime in and let you know.

To be honest, the M9A1 was completely redesigned; new hop up unit, functioning decocker, redesigned loading nozzle/BBU...pretty much everything except the magazine, which was disappointing.

What you're looking for in a mag is a smooth inner surface, with as large a reservoir as possible that is air-tight. You should have as few obstructions as possible on the inside in order to improve performance in the cold. Generally speaking clone magazines are fine, though I would always recommend replacing fill valves and carrying out some basic maintenance (i.e. stripping them apart and making sure they seal, inspecting the inside of the magazine etc)...but even then I have found that the TM magazines to be more consistent, more reliable, predictable, and have superior performance. Cool down does not set in as fast, and typically you get more shots per fill.

The only exception I have is the old design P226 magazines; I found KJW's one piece design far superior to TM's two-piece, though with the E2 that is now null and void.

My opinion; if you have the money, buy one TM and test against the mag that came with it. Experiment and find what works best for you. For me that has been TM, but that is not necessarily the case for everyone else :)

I have HFC, SRC and KJW mags which are used with hfc192 - can I use them with new TM M9A1?

Yes, though you may notice tolerance differences but as they are all clones of the same TM system it should work (95% sure).

To be honest, the M9A1 was completely redesigned; new hop up unit, functioning decocker, redesigned loading nozzle/BBU...pretty much everything except the magazine, which was disappointing.

Felt to me the same as firing the original M9, just with a better weight to it along with adding things that the M9 should have like the hop and decocker. Didn't see much change on the nozzle and BBU, though didn't get to properly pick it apart. Still damn long time it took TM to sort it, now if only they would just make all those extras on the regular M9 :P.

'FireKnife'

Archived