I did this little review for another site a while back but thought why not bring it over here as well?

So I was browsing for a lubricant to use on my kit when a serving friend of mine suggested I check out Froglube. At first I was sceptical of its application to airsoft as it is a product intended for real weapons, constructed out of different materials but I was keen to give it a go and all the feedback I'd seen was good. I took the plunge and ordered a kit which came with a small tube of grease and a bottle of liquid Froglube as well as a microfibre cloth.

2012-11-05162209.jpg

Initial impressions
The first thing you'll notice is the price, Froglube isn't a cheap product, the 4oz paste and 1oz liquid I purchased set me back £30 including delivery. Whether its worth it or not I'll cover later but there is definitely a significant expenditure. But this stuff has been engineered by an ex SEAL, someone who knows their way around numerous weapon systems and what is needed from a cleaner, lubricant and preservative (CLP) so this stuff should work.

Opening up the Froglube I was struck by the smell, the product has a very strong (and in my opinion very pleasant) smell of menthol. Yes, your RIFs will end up smelling minty fresh on the skirmish field! What more could you ask for? Well how about it being a lovely green colour? Just kidding, we all know the important thing is the performance...

How well does it work?
Well my first test subject for Froglube was a TM/Guarder P226R. The slide kept getting stuck part way and I figured this was a lube issue. Stripping the pistol down I noted that it was coated in an unidentifiable black grime and I reasoned this couldn't be helping the pistol function smoothly. Applying the paste to the grot allowed me to remove it with a microfibre cloth and leave the pistol nice and clean, ready for lubing. I applied a small amount of paste to the runners and the matching grooves and racked the slide a few times to spread the paste along the length of the slide. I put a couple of magazines through the pistol and the action was incredibly smooth and a delight to shoot (as well as smelling minty!). I couldn't of asked for more.

As I use and abuse my kit more and more I'll add more information about its performance, especially if it ends up being submerged which I'm sure it'll function fine with as Froglube was designed to be waterproof.

Is it worth it?
I honestly don't know, its the only CLP I've used so far and it works great. Sure, its expensive but you only need to apply miniscule amounts for it to work beautifully. I don't see myself skirmishing without the liquid bottle in my toolkit anytime soon though. I spend so much on my kit as it is I don't see an issue splashing out on maintaining it.

Edited by Tw1tch

CLPs are incredibly bad for low grade plastics and rubber, be very careful with where you place it.

Fair enough, I'd heard that Froglube was actually pretty safe to use on pretty much anything airsoft wise. Only really applied it to the slides of my pistols at the moment.

I've got to agree with you. I've stopped using anything else and having spoken to the guys at xpert tactical at length I am reassured that it is perfectly safe for airsoft use on any material due to the component ingredients. In fact, every new pistol i get now has athorough cleaning and relube using froglube.

It's pretty handy for gearboxes on the gear spindles, piston o-ring, runners and on the bushings/bearings too.

It seems you guys have already answered this question a few times, but I just want a "Yes" or "No" answer -

Is Froglube safe to use on the moving metal parts of a GBBR?  As in use silicon oil on the nozzle and Froglube everywhere else.

Thanks for humoring me!

Yes, for metal it will be fine unless you're working with some metal treated with an undetermined cocktail of chemicals (IE very unlikely) as its designed to work on real weapon systems, all over the weapon.

You could also if you choose eat it, it is perfectly harmless. I wouldn't recommend it due to it tasting like chalk and the paste having a similar texture, also don't use it for bedroom escapades. xD

• Like 4

Have been using froglube for over a year now on all my aeg gearboxes and also on my gbb guns ,

This stuff seems to stay slippery forever and seems not to attract as much grit and grime as my older greases and silicone sprays did . . I also use it on silencer threads and any metal prone to rusting .

Once you get used to your guns smelling like a dentists surgery there are no downsides to this stuff apart from the price if it ...

Have been using froglube for over a year now on all my aeg gearboxes and also on my gbb guns ,

This stuff seems to stay slippery forever and seems not to attract as much grit and grime as my older greases and silicone sprays did . . I also use it on silencer threads and any metal prone to rusting .

Once you get used to your guns smelling like a dentists surgery there are no downsides to this stuff apart from the price if it ...

I enjoy the smell, but am slightly worried it gives my position away haha.

Using froglube in subzero temperatures (celcius) will get your gun jammed. We had some test sample packages and lubed our gbbs. Normally you can use TM stock pistols in -3c to -5c (in some extent) but not with this. Lube just freezes and gets slide stuck.

Catastrophical in AEG gearbox :D

Interesting, thanks for the intel. Froglube conducted a test on real firearms in cold conditions and it seemed to work.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151385031768497&set=a.259833698496.139238.253190558496&type=1&theater

I think more study needs to be done into this (even if one was a real firearm and we're using replicas) would be interesting to see more results.

Just an FYI.  When applying the froglube, it is recommended to heat the part (metal only of course) before application.  This allows the metal pores to slightly expand to accept the lube better.  So while it is hot, brush on the lube, let it cool and then use the micro fiber rag to rub the excess off.

This is how I did my GBBR carrier, FCG, barrel, basically anything steel or metal.  Don't get carried away with the heating as a normal hair blow dryer works just fine for our pot metal slides, etc.

Interesting, thanks for the intel. Froglube conducted a test on real firearms in cold conditions and it seemed to work.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151385031768497&set=a.259833698496.139238.253190558496&type=1&theater

I think more study needs to be done into this (even if one was a real firearm and we're using replicas) would be interesting to see more results.

Well, a real-steel firearm heats up when you fire it. This heats up the lube, keeps it pliable. A GBB works by expanding liquid turning into gas, which is an endothermic reaction and thus cools the gun down. So it means the lube is going to stick.

Well, a real-steel firearm heats up when you fire it. This heats up the lube, keeps it pliable. A GBB works by expanding liquid turning into gas, which is an endothermic reaction and thus cools the gun down. So it means the lube is going to stick.

I don't know why the hell I didn't think of this. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I'm using Froblube on my real steel .308 to try and smooth out the bolt action. seems to be working, although as others have said it works better when the parts are warm.

dsc02284vr.jpg

There's a video on youtube showing a guy using a hair dryer on some of his pistol collection prior to cleaning.

Been using Froglube for a while now. Was told it improves the life of rubber O-rings and hop ups, so I have used it on most of my gats.

Smoothed my VSR's actions up nicely, in addition to my GBB's and AEG gearboxes.

As for cold temp performance, no problems for my AEGS's in -3C in January, - I don't use my GBB's when it is so cold!

Once it has been applied it does stay slippery for a very long time. 

When it finally runs out, I will be replacing it. 

Only Drawback:

You will get the mick taken out of you for spending a fortune on minty-Lube, that the SEALs use...

Edited by WestyIII

You will get the mick taken out of you for spending a fortune on minty-Lube, that the SEALs use...

Indeed, its even funnier as I run a SEAL inspired loadout, I have one friend insistent on calling me a SEAL walt lol. The stuff works though, and beautifully so I couldn't really care less, plus they're keen enough to nab some. xD

I was hoping this stuff wasn't airsoft safe. But at least they're not too expensive on Ebay ($25 for both paste and liquid).

That's a pretty good price. :3