Remington XP-100

renegadecow

Shoving all other projects off the table, this one came into urgency as my scoped 1911 sniping pistol copped out. In need of a new monster magnum, and with the Arnies Custom Project Competition doing exceedingly well, I thought I'd make something extra special for my contribution. Meet the XP-100:

9964953_1_zpscffdf894.jpg

Now, I've actually done and started work on it already beginning with the barrel. I'm using a JG BAR-10 (VSR-10 clone) as the base and they come with a godawful thick barrel. I've done and chopped it up and mated it with a section of shotgun barrel which was left over from making my Serbu Super Shorty. It's still plenty fat though so this won't depict the skinny barrel that came stock with the gun but an after market heavy barrel which were usually used for larger calibers like .308

IMG_3704_zps9293f8f6.jpg

IMG_3706_zps0358eb3b.jpg

IMG_3707_zps05b00b87.jpg

IMG_3709_zpsc9840790.jpg

IMG_3710_zps7583480b.jpg

I still need to clean out the excess epoxy and smooth out the taper in the barrel plus affix a fake crowned muzzle. As it is it's 17.5" long and am still undecided if I'll be chopping it down to the originals 14.5" or after market barrels commonly in 15" and 17". I also don't think I'll be touching the bolt handle and copy the dog leg design, but if I come across some way to modify the existing g-spec handle I may as well go for it.

The real XP-100 came with a plastic stock which resembled bakelite though I've read it's made of some other polymer. I can't quite copy the material but I do love the look of it which I'll try to emulate using a compound mixture of sawdust and wood glue. I've done some small tests and it's quite durable and looks great (in between baklite and plasticated wood) but I won't be making the entire stock out of it. Instead I'll be making the bulk of the stock from plywood and have the sawdust mixture as a cladding about 2-3mm thick.

To make it somewhat more skirmishable (yes, I do intend to skirmish with it) I'll be making an internal magazine holding around 20 rounds as there's really no way to breach load a VSR-10 like the real XP-100 does. The plastic trigger guard will have a concealed catch at the front and releasing it allows the whole trigger guard to swivel down exposing the magazine. I'll probably not make more than one magazine with them being made from scratch, but I'm making it removable should I decide otherwise in the future.

As for internal upgrades, I've just chopped down the air brake so I still need to check the muzzle velocity on it but expect it to go at 450fps. I already have a steel sear on the way and plan on putting in an A+ hop rubber. Still undecided on the inner barrel or if I even need to replace it.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not gonna fit as it is drawn on paper. But if you fatten up the space between the trigger guard and barrel and make an appropriate adapter for it it should go in nicely. However, unless you get the shell in real close to the chamber there's gonna be dead space for maybe 3-4bbs that won't load unless you tip the gun upside down.

Initially I had wanted to make it a gas, shell ejecting replica using TOP .223 shells; so much fun there. But a spring rifle has better consistency shot per shot, virtually unaffected by temperature and would make for greater potential accuracy compared to any of the gas revolvers I'm currently fielding so I went with that instead. I thought at first that the bolt pull might be too hard having no stock to lean into, but I find it to be easier to cock strangely enough as your arms are extended out and similar to the action of using a slingshot so it's not so much the arms doing the work like they do on a rifle when the arms are bent but more on the shoulders.

Inb4 Fireknife saying cocking it won't be too hard if you choke the chicken often enough and get Popeye arms.

edit:

Also I've decided to go with a 15" barrel as it's the most common length for .308 chamberings. Already sawed the barrel down and epoxied the muzzle. This leaves me with a P90 length (247mm) inner barrel to work with. Now, about inner barrels, I'm looking at the Vanaras tightbores and heard good things about them. Question is, do I go with regular alloy (presumably brass) or their stainless steel variety? The stainless steel is kinda pricey, but if the material lends to better precision due to minimizing barrel vibrations then I'm all for it. So anyone have experience with them?

Balls. Didn't see that one coming. I knew they made the XP-100R (looks like a Savage Striker) and didn't know they did the classic one too, but at least it seems they only ever made them in black.

@Jimmi

That's a good point about the shorter barrel having a higher frequency. But now that I've tried looking for reviews for the stainless barrel (and didn't find any)I'm more curious than ever and thinking I may as well try it for myself and document it here.

On Venaras barrels, I bought an mc51 length stainless one a few years ago and could never get it to work in my car15 or p90. It seemed to just ignore the hop up, most likely a hop window issue but I never got around to fixing it. The triangular packaging was a good idea though!

Your mileage may vary of course.

Mmm, doesn't sound very promising, however you're the first person I know to even try them out. Will try and look more into it. For updates, cleaned up the barrel and filed the fake rifling on the crown.

IMG_3717_zps022f3596.jpg

IMG_3716_zpsc399ccd1.jpg

IMG_3718_zps0432d8e3.jpg

*stock G-spec barrel poking out. Will cut it down to 247mm and compare it with whatever barrel I'll get.

Inb4 Fireknife saying cocking it won't be too hard if you choke the chicken often enough and get Popeye arms.

Damn you, anticipating my sexual antics :P.

But then I have a new pistol to play with, one I have been after for a while so too busy to talk about rubbing your barrel and grabbing your cocking lever and such.

'FireKnife'

Digging for what little information there is about the SP version, they did just that (forward facing mag). The decorative end cap pulls off revealing a tubular single stack magazine holding 22bbs. Trying to keep mine 1:1 leaves the bottom of the barrel too thin to hold a stock vsr mag so mine will be a rearward facing double stack lying down with a bend going into the chamber, kinda like an "L" on its back.

Today's update is brought to you by the letter "M" as in MAGPUL EVERYTHING!

IMG_3725_zps366aeb70.jpg

Pretty sure there was something like this in SHOT show.

Ordered the standard 6.03 Vanaras and A+ hop rubber. I figured if I did any testing, I ought to have a decent barrel at hand first before experimenting with something new. Already made a rough design for the mag which is essentially custom built only I'll need to graft in the top part of the VSR mag for the bb catch. Also drew up the new trigger which I will be making out of metal (zinc) salvaged from a KWC revolver Tyler T-grip. I could make it out of PVC, but I imagine if I made it as thin as the real XP-100 it might have a squishy feel to it.

The bolt-action AR-15 looks remarkably credible. Could you link me to the TOP .223 shells? Do they do them in any other calibre?

[EDIT]My Googlefu improved significantly once I removed .223 from the search. How I've never heard of a shell-ejecting EBB from a Japanese manufacturer I don't know, but wow, that looks awesome (and awesomely impractical). In case anyone hasn't seen their SR16 in action,

. If that thing is RS-sized and featured recoil (I assume 'EBB' doesn't mean 'recoil shock') that would supplant WA-pattern GBBrs as the most realistic airsoft assault rifle...[/EDIT]

Well, I have had experience with the Vanaras tightbores. I don't deny that it may be a case of hit and miss as with any ACM product but the 4 barrels I have had have been a revelation. For cheap tightbores they're amazing - the one in my FAMAS is hands down the best inner barrel I have experienced so far. They seem especially good at providing results for short barreled weapons, which is ideal for you with a 247mm. Its seems like a mute point now, since you have already ordered, but I'm glad you plumped for the 6.03 basic model - as those are the ones I have here. Good luck with yours, I hope its as nice as mine.

The project is looking sweet btw RC. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the stock :)

Thanks! For the stock I'll be replicating the classic plastic (zytel) one only not in plastic. The closest the sawdust+glue mixture looks like when finished would be this:

CZ_VZ58_Carbine_Wood_Stock_F.jpg

Only the particles in mine will be smaller and as I have two different species of wood in my sawdust bag, will result with a more marbleized color due to different densities affecting wood stain absorption.

Also use a Vanaras 6.03 247mm P90/G36c spec barrel in my SMG,  no complaints.

came in a hard clear plastic triangle package,  can't remember if it's steel or chromed material,  mines very shiny, nicely finished, nice crown on the muzzle and didn't require any touch up filing around the hop window (unlike some brass ones do)

Was a debate ages ago about them,  from memory,  the aftermarket/retail ones where better than the OEM made ones,  one was made from better material,  debate pointed to OEM barrels being sold as the higher quality ones.  I think thats where the hit&miss came from.

Archived