Remington XP-100

renegadecow

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually ditched the mask today, too hot. Turns out just a simple bandana works well enough <_<

On to progress: bedded the stock so the action now sits at the perfect depth, still haven't drilled out the screw holes though. And started to shape the outside. Mostly just routed the sides out to the right depth. Front section was kept fat so the stock won't tilt when I attack it with a router.

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

Was messing around and had a feel for the assembled gun and really liked how it's so centrally balanced.

I'm curious as to how this operates ergonomically (not doubtful, just curious)

If you are right handed, would you grip the front of the gun with your left hand, remove your right hand from the pistol grip and cock the bolt with your right hand?

...or would it be easier to leave your right hand on the pistol grip, cant the gun to the left and use your left hand to cock the bolt?

In that case, have some more pretty pretty laminate shots. Because I'm getting real close to the point where it will all be covered in brown goop and won't be nice to look at until stained and lacquered. Shaped the front section and drilled out the screw holes.

IMG_3901.jpg

edit:

Also, I don't suppose there's any benefit to pillar bedding this thing or any VSR for that matter right? I saw the PDI pillar bedding and can't seem to find any reviews on it.

You are truly blessed. Where the heck do you get the tools to make this stuff?

on a side note i think the xp-100r looks better in general than the xp-100 

Tools? LOL! I'm using sandpaper and a bucket to stand in to collect my sweat.

But seriously, the plywood planks were cut with a jigsaw. When glued into halves, used a router to cut the insides. Glued as a whole, used the router again to uniformly shape the outline and made most of the rough external shape with a grinder attached with a sanding disc. The rest of the shaping until now is done with hand tools: cutter, chisels, sandpaper.

Not much enough to take photos and post them. Basically just patched up small gaps using the brown muck (not really sure what to call it). Will need to slowly keep going over the contour of the grip as while hacking away at it quickly is easy, but tired hands can't feel the subtle imperfections like bumps and such which is a pain as I need to get it as symmetrical as possible. I can only rely on the laminate layers of the plywood as a rough gauge as the layers themselves aren't uniform all throughout. I'll be posting progress pictures again when I've completely covered the stock with the brown stuff.

AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!! This brown goop is harder to work with that I'd thought. When you use it as a wood filler it's pretty easy: just push it down into whatever hole or crack you want to repair and it fills in the void, done. Try and push it on a flat wide area and it goes everywhere but the place you're pressing on. What's worse is I've just realized it's nearly impossible to gauge how thick a layer is being applied at a time. After making several failed attempts in molding the grill section on the side (above the grip) I eventually found a technique that works. Basically you spread the stuff on a section you want to work on (and this really has to be done in sections) and cover it with cling wrap. Get a flat tool like a sanding block and squish it down on flat surfaces spreading it evenly. On curved areas or corners it's easier to switch to a piece of pipe and roll the much across instead while applying even pressure. Pushing down is pretty much essential as it squeezes out the excess glue out of the mix and into the surface you want it to stick to. Too little pressure and you're likely to get sections of the stuff flaking off. I'll be posting pics on progress by tomorrow, it's just right now I'm too frustrated to upload them.

Archived