Remington XP-100

renegadecow

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one option for the brown goo is to paint the stock in wood glue and sprinkle with fine saw dust. once this sets you will have a textured surface for the brown goo to stick to. 

Another option would be to coat the stock in wood glue and sprinkle on heavier saws dust and once set sand it smooth. Then once you are happy apply a layer of epoxy resin which would give it the look you are trying to get.

Another option would be to coat the stock in wood glue and sprinkle on heavier saws dust and once set sand it smooth. Then once you are happy apply a layer of epoxy resin which would give it the look you are trying to get.

WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU TWENTY FOUR HOURS AGO?!?

Seriously man, you coulda spared me from the frustration. I'm starting to get used to the sloppy procedure I've started with, but it's still nowhere as easy as wiping your butt using only your elbows. Progression shots below, had to stop at the grip as there's nowhere else to hold on to.

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

Anyone got experience using Lumiweld or Muggy Weld? I'm thinking of investing in learning to work with the stuff as apparently a simple $5 butane pencil torch can do the job (put off by an oxy-acetylene rig) and the weld rods themselves are far from expensive. I'll be using it for future projects, but was thinking I may as well use it for fabricating the bolt. The XP-100 bolt has a weird dog leg design, never knew why but it's iconic for it. My idea was to saw the original bolt handle in half and lumiweld the other half fabricated from aluminum to its side to get the zigzag shape. It says it has a bond strength of 30,000psi but I really have no idea what that relates to in real life so thought I'd ask here if that small section to be welded is strong enough.

Also, did most of the fine sanding on the stock. Need to thicken some areas a bit that's to have checkering and inlay.

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Lumi-Weld is great providing you do it right...

VERY solid, follow the instructions, practice a little and its pretty easy to do.

Deffinatley very strong, I used it to reinforce the VFC MP5 bolt carrier, which is actually made of the softest metal ive ever seen. Lumi-Weld held up 1000x more than the standard bolt. Cycled 500 rounds barely wore down.

It can be a little tricky though, keeping all the various surfaces the right temp for it all to weld together. Ive done it a few times, thinking I have a solid join go to sand it it just falls off. Do it right you cant get it off.

I've also read of people using it to patch up gearboxes, so zinc alloys are ok (also says so in their manual of weldable things). I have a mind to appropriate a friends couple of broken V7 gearboxes for practice.

@Kenworth

I suppose I could drill through both sections first and have a steel screw join them before I weld them together.

Archived