Screwed Over by ARES over China Lake designs

renegadecow

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:P

I thought you had an example of an actual HK company still being able to infringe on IP since as far as I know it's really hard to do in HK.

Almost all the trademark infringed stuff have been removed if there are distributors in HK for that particular brand (i.e. Surefire, Magpul).  For example; it's almost impossible to buy fake Magpul stuff in Hong Kong because PTS will screw you over if you're a retailer and you sell them locally.  It's easier to get fake Magpul in UK or anywhere else in Europe than in HK as a customer (you can get fake Magpul stuff easily if you're a retailer but why would you when you can't sell them to people :P).

Wonder how much RC would charge, to make a grenade launcher for the m41a pulse rifle (pump action, shell ejecting, with a nice ca-clunk sound when you rack it).

Would love to see this china lake made and have it branded as an RC special edition. Epic win juice.

Interesting thread. I always assumed that if I had an airsoft idea I would have to start my own operation to get it to market, looks like I was right.

I would, at this point, make the design openly available to everyone, JUST to stop both ICS and ARES playing games and screwing you over. Then, if I were you, I'd look at starting something up along the same lines as BO Manufacturing, small scale, limited run type affair. I mean, look at Polar Star or Daytona Gun and look at how (relatively speaking) successful they are.

I'd look at starting something up along the same lines as BO Manufacturing, small scale, limited run type affair. I mean, look at Polar Star or Daytona Gun and look at how (relatively speaking) successful they are.

Isn't BO more along the lines of assembly and tuning than actual turning raw materials into finished products though? It's also worth pointing out that Polarstar Airsoft was setup as a sideline to their already existing and established engineering/manufacturing business so they had industrial grade machines at their disposal, I've no idea what proportion of their business is now airsoft related but it it will have been far lower risk using spare capacity than buying the machines purely to get into the airsoft market.

I'm not trying to put RC off trying to manufacture a China Lake himself, but a lot of the smaller manufacturers in the airsoft industry started off on the back of existing businesses using spare production capacity, subcontracting it out to an existing machine shop would carry the least risk but that would require a fair bit of cash to do even a very small run.

I think you're right though, if you want to get a new product to market and make sure it's made to the standards you want you would have to start your own business and either subcontract it out to a manufacturer you can trust or put the money down on machines to do it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived