Vacuum forming?

shmook

Hi, I'm not sure where this goes, but as its not airsoft, I figured here!

Anyway, I'm after a couple of hemispheres made from clear acrylic or polycarbonate, and possibly a full sphere too, but that doesn't have to be clear.

I've been in contact with a few vac forming companies requesting quotes, but none of them have bothered to get back to me, so I thought I would ask you kind folk!

I'm sure with time and trial/error, I could make my own machine and moulds, but I haven't got said time!

If anyone in the UK can help me out (for ease of shipping), I would greatly appreciate it :)

I need;

300mm diameter hemisphere, clear

280mm diameter hemisphere, clear

320 mm diameter globe, any colour, but white would be preferable.

I don't need any flanges, or even finished/cut edges, I'm happy to do any trimming myself, and it doesn't matter if the globe has seam lines either.

Quotes for the above would be lovely please!

I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible, so they don't need to be thick, basically the cheaper the better!

Failing this, any help making moulds, pointers, casting tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

It's for a fancy dress outfit, where I've decided to make a copy of the apollo series A7L space suit, complete with LEVA helmet, hence the need for these. The suit is pretty much done, tha backpack will double up as my beer storage unit, and I'm just struggling with the lid really...

Thanks for looking at the ramblings of a mad man!

Shmook

Looked at biorbs, can't seem to find the wall thickness, but they are 5 and a half kilos when empty, which may drag the suit around too much. I wanted a globe for the helmet, larger dome for the 'gold' visor, and smaller globe for the clear visor. I will be fabbing up my own hinges/rotating mech and other ancillaries :)

I've found online price lists, but didnt really want to pay £30+ per dome, and the smaller one will be bespoke, which requires new tooling, pushing the price up further. Shipping is on top of that too.

I can't afford to drop £70+ on parts for something I may never wear again! Thanks for the input though :)

I've been looking at fibreglass for the helmet, round balloon, paper mâché, then fibreglass and resin on the top.

I will do this at a push, but its time spent making it and the sanding which I didn't want to really do at the moment.

I was going to make moulds for vac forming clear acrylic like this too, but again it's a time thing!

I've got a house to renovate, and I doubt my pregnant wife would appreciate me spending the next few weekends making moulds for costumes instead of ripping out the bathroom and kitchen...

Yar, that's it I think.

I just thought I would ask here first, in case any hobbyists/cosplay etc people fancied taking it on for a bit of cash first!

Looks like I'm building me a vac former.

Ooh, I wonder if my puppy will sit still on it...?!!

Archived