As for the G&P being a full cylinder; they actually taper.  I don't remember if the M16 ones taper but your standard carbine ones do.  So it's technically not a full cylinder volume when you actually run one of the G&P cylinders, or at least it wasn't designed that way.  Perhaps if you swapped the piston o-ring with something slightly bigger than your typical undersized stock ones it might as well act as a full cylinder.

I opened 2 this weekend. a CQB-R and a M16a4. both are exactly the same. Might have been different a couple of years ago. Well it doesn't matter because quality/price it's top notch.

Just pointing out that blaming for "cutting corners" doesn't add up if others use the same method.

As for a 'hard' nub that cannot deform; I suppose that only works well with s soft bucking which has an internal nub that can deform.  Your bb is not meant to pass through a hard object pinching down onto the barrel; that will cause jams.  You always need something that can deform to apply pressure on the bb.

And make sure you use hi-quality bb's, I have seen bb's that easily break or even become egg shaped under pressure, like mini gummi balls. :huh:

But I am sure you don't need such advice.

Oh and NeoVeNoM; for ARES to sue IBMedic they have to find out who the username is registered to; along with proving actual loss incurred from slander IIRC :P  I have my law of tort book nearby but I don't want to sift through pages of defamation again XD  But suing in libel/slander is not that easy XD

Given most stores sell out their Ares stock, they probably won't bother. But it wouldn't be the first time.

And Berggy; I think IBMedic is talking about the materials and the way the internals are finished when he compared the PDR internals with ARES.  To say "which AEG does not share the same design/idea? A 6mm BB being blown out by a piston driven by a spring. Which part of it doesnt look like the same for each AEG?" is not addressing the question properly (same with NeoVeNoM's argument that everyone copies TM's V2 gearboxes).  Not many factories in China can produce airsoft parts because it's somewhat taboo (illegal for gun parts, but I think even internal bits are a bit taboo as well when it's associated with airsoft).  When certain brands seem to have a similar item constructed of similar materials, it's probably from the same OEM, e.g. King Arms gears = SHS gears.

See my photo's, where is that metal nozzle? Yet he claims Ares uses metal nozzles. Might be true. But I haven't seen one so far.

There are more countries than China alone. Who knows, might be from Pakistan :D

Anyway's I'll buy this PDR to make my own conclusions.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*slams head onto desk*   Dear Magpul   Please get a company can produce decent internals for your guns (e.g G&P)   Yours Sincerely Anyone who wants to buy your product.

Why sure.     Oh wait, you meant the mod didn't you?

Everything he's posted has been factual, you're really not in any position to instruct anybody to discontinue providing relevant information.  He's also never made claims that PTS are amazing in every

*snip*

Well I'm afraid I'm going way off topic if I keep replying (Noveske where's your damn field report, you and IBMedic are the only ones that seem to have it right now! XD  At least on Arnies :P) but for the last part of your reply I was talking about the silver cylinders :P  No comment on the nozzles since I've never owned or fired an ARES gun :P

I'm sure it could be used in the manner you described, if needed though. The thought inspires some pretty nice PMC loadouts, don't you think?

I assume it is designed to be fairly liveable with AR-height irons, and the MP7 sights folded up are about that height... so why not? I tried to get a set for this P90 TR I have lying around, but eventually settled for some generic folding irons. I think I should have still gone for the HK ones.

Nono I meant the MP7 sights folded down to pistol height :P  As for PMC loadouts, sure :P; but it's not my cup of tea only because the PDR's never actually been produced as a real steel firearm and I like my guns to reflect that :P  Which is why as much as the APS UAR concept and price is very attractive to me, I can't get my head around the fact that it's not a real gun.

• Like 3

I think the PDR would suit a pair of MBUS just fine. Yes, it's an emergency SHTF gun intended for crews operating in confined spaces, but so was the MP7 and look who carries that into combat now. Just because SHTF doesn't mean you won't have 15 seconds before or during the engagement to flip up a pair of sights, and bluntly flip-ups are the lowest-height sights around, which is critical when it's the height of the weapon that's important - which it is because of the aforementioned carry style:

8463465718_ea0215efb3_b.jpg
Source: MagPul's PDR brochure (attached, since its original page is defunct).

In the above photos you can see the weapon with an EoTech of some description, and you can see that if you were prone or up against a wall that sight would be taking a battering as the furthest extension of the weapon. Flip-ups that lie flat would be a much better fit.

PDRtech_PR.pdf

Nono I meant the MP7 sights folded down to pistol height :P  As for PMC loadouts, sure :P; but it's not my cup of tea only because the PDR's never actually been produced as a real steel firearm and I like my guns to reflect that :P  Which is why as much as the APS UAR concept and price is very attractive to me, I can't get my head around the fact that it's not a real gun.

Hm, well, you'd have to try it out I guess.

And fair enough.

I think the PDR would suit a pair of MBUS just fine. Yes, it's an emergency SHTF gun intended for crews operating in confined spaces, but so was the MP7 and look who carries that into combat now. Just because SHTF doesn't mean you won't have 15 seconds before or during the engagement to flip up a pair of sights, and bluntly flip-ups are the lowest-height sights around, which is critical when it's the height of the weapon that's important - which it is because of the aforementioned carry style:

In the above photos you can see the weapon with an EoTech of some description, and you can see that if you were prone or up against a wall that sight would be taking a battering as the furthest extension of the weapon. Flip-ups that lie flat would be a much better fit.

Thanks for finding that PDF. I couldn't get my hands on a copy of it to double-check my info. I'm sure that if the situation was bad enough, the guy issued a PDW would flip those sights up as fast as humanly possible anyway.

Seems like people really got caught up in the hype for this product.

I'll admit, I was excited for a AR-magazine using bull-pup with Magpul stylings.

The trouble is that, despite the hype, the PDR is just another AEG. It doesn't really introduce any new or innovative features or even features that we haven't seen before in many different iterations. The only thing it brings is a new and interesting form factor.

And that all has to be considered in light of some of the internal design choices that PTS' OEM has decided to make.

Frankly, people will still buy this rifle. A lot of people. They live with the associated issues, find ways to sort them out and pretty soon we'll all be having a fondle of one of these when they show up at our skirmish sites.

Edited by Gigueand
  • Like 2

Exactly my sentiments .

Would rather have paid a bit more for it to have had better internals . And with it being a highly anticipated new gun design I think most people would agree with me on this .

Especialy with other manufacturers bringing out quality internals on their guns nowadays I would expect more for a gun. At the 300 pound price point . Just look at internals from g&g ( top tech ) Lonex , dytac , guns . All in the 300 pound price bracket .

As they say , Don't ever believe the hype , !!!

The trouble is that, despite the hype, the PDR is just another AEG. It doesn't really introduce any new or innovative features or even features that we haven't seen before in many different iterations. The only thing it brings is a new and interesting form factor.

That's basically why we're here.

A tiny Bullpup that takes AR mags hasn't been done much at all, the only two I can think of is the L85 AFV and that's a pretty Marmite gun dependent on whether you like L85s and the Type 97B, which is longer by only 10cm and should definitely be next on the list for those who have saved their pennies.

Tiny bullpups other than those don't exist and the PDR was looking to be a neat fusion of Things We Like like small size, low weight, drop free mags with AR style mag release, flat top rail for optics and basically be a cool as hell P90-sized gun that didn't use butt-tastic mags.

I look forward to the fictional PDR-ish clones like WE did with the SMG-8, done by significantly better manufacturers than Magpul PTS because the concept is definitely there and there is the demand, but if you're like me you won't give the slightest damn if it doesn't exist as a real gun because I'll be too busy slaying bodies with it. After all the PDR doesn't exist as a real gun, but look at all this demand.

Edited by Ginger Chris

Tiny bullpups other than those don't exist and the PDR was looking to be a neat fusion of Things We Like like small size, low weight, drop free mags with AR style mag release, flat top rail for optics and basically be a cool as hell P90-sized gun that didn't use butt-tastic mags.

I look forward to the fictional PDR-ish clones like WE did with the SMG-8, done by significantly better manufacturers than Magpul PTS because the concept is definitely there and there is the demand, but if you're like me you won't give the slightest damn if it doesn't exist as a real gun because I'll be too busy slaying bodies with it. After all the PDR doesn't exist as a real gun, but look at all this demand.

Along the lines of a gun that doesn't exist except in concept or video games - I'd be one of many people that would love to snap up a working reliable replica of the HALO Assault Rifle - use a SR-25/SCAR-H mag and you're good to go.

Also, there IS a real-steel Magpul PDR-C sized bullpup rifle that uses STANAG magazines, has an AR-style release, and a flattop RIS - the IDF-standard issue Micro Tavor. I'd be also down with buying that.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think P90 without annoying P90 magazines sums it up. It's just a very clean gun that fits well into use as a CQB primary, or a low-impact PDW - something the Micro Tavor isn't quite the right weapon for, IMO. I wouldn't want one, or a Type 97 bouncing on my back as I run around with sniper rifle or machine gun X or Y, anyway. The PDR has much less to stab you with and was even designed with a holster.

I'm positive the MTAR is at least 25% bigger than the PDR-C.

Whoops. I stand corrected. MTAR's 23 inches, according to Wiki, and the PDR-D is 19 inches, according to Magpul material. The MTAR isn't as small as the PDR-C. I'd still consider buying an MTAR for my compact STANAG bullup wants. :D

For me, the ideal bullpup feed by STANAG magazines would be a Steyr AUG with the NATO stock. Both realistic and practical. IIRC, a member of this forum did a good decent conversion sometime ago. 

It should be an easy and cheap new gun to make. Almost the same design as the TM AUG with just a few changes (JG, are you listening? :D ).

• Like 1

Just had to laugh , went on e hobbies Asia website and it has ares Hong Kong / pts magpul on a picture of a pdr ... What is going on here ??

Also has an abomination at the bottom of the page

The magpul fpg is now being produced in pink !!!

Edited by Baddbaz

And sell it to me when the insides break for project money !!!

Me first! WA-compliant GBBr conversion, all-CNC'd steel/7075T6, plans on request!

For me, the ideal bullpup feed by STANAG magazines would be a Steyr AUG with the NATO stock.

Again, this is a great design crying out for a GBBr kit. You can buy the stock and trigger pack from Steyr themselves, or just the stock from plenty of other sources.

I had a fondle of one of these at my local store, despite all the nay saying and grumbles I was satisfied (my store kinda hates the fact I can pick fault with almost everything they have) with the compactness, feel and the trigger system/response. The battery is a bit of a fickle thing and I did rage at the presence of tamiya connectors BUT, I didn't see anything that made me think this wasn't worth the cost - I fully expect a Magpul gun to cost a bit more due to the materials involved and the scale of production leading to a higher cost price.

And while there is the 'ugh, ARES' association from a tech perspective (and now, ethical with the China Lake issue), I'd be hard pressed not to consider purchasing one.

Keenly awaiting more shooting/gameplay reports but I didn't see anything that points to it being a 'bad' gun.

Just had to laugh , went on e hobbies Asia website and it has ares Hong Kong / pts magpul on a picture of a pdr ... What is going on here ??

Also has an abomination at the bottom of the page

The magpul fpg is now being produced in pink !!!

Where does it say this is a "ares Hong Kong" product in reference to the PTS PDR on ehobbyasia.com?