• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*slams head onto desk*   Dear Magpul   Please get a company can produce decent internals for your guns (e.g G&P)   Yours Sincerely Anyone who wants to buy your product.

Why sure.     Oh wait, you meant the mod didn't you?

Everything he's posted has been factual, you're really not in any position to instruct anybody to discontinue providing relevant information.  He's also never made claims that PTS are amazing in every

There isn't space for any increased thickness or reinforcement. Considering how hard it hit the ground, I'm surprised more isn't broken. My Mini-Red-Dot (as seen in video) was almost completely crushed.

Unfortunately, the technology that allows metal tabs to be fused into the plastic receiver is quite complex and would have increased the price of the gun even more :(

Um, your wiring is likely getting hot from that grossly inefficient low TPA armature, I find an EG1000 armature is the ideal host armature for a Neo-magnet can, plenty of torque but still rather quick.

Hmmm, that's something I'll bare in mind if the current draw becomes an Issue. I've never had a problem like this with such a motor arrangement before but I'm sure you're probably right. Possibly the combination of the extremely high speed armature and the extremely high magnetic field strength casing are responsible.

I'm thinking that TPA stands for "turns per arm" or something along those lines?

Edited by Aod

There isn't space for any increased thickness or reinforcement. Considering how hard it hit the ground, I'm surprised more isn't broken. My Mini-Red-Dot (as seen in video) was almost completely crushed.

Unfortunately, the technology that allows metal tabs to be fused into the plastic receiver is quite complex and would have increased the price of the gun even more :(Hmmm, that's something I'll bare in mind if the current draw becomes an Issue. I've never had a problem like this with such a motor arrangement before but I'm sure you're probably right. Possibly the combination of the extremely high speed armature and the extremely high magnetic field strength casing are responsible.

I'm thinking that TPA stands for "turns per arm" or something along those lines?

Yes TPA is turns Turns Per Armature, lower TPA equals higher speed but lower torque and greater heat generation underload, higher TPA is lower speed but more torque and less heat underload.

A *suitcase* load of the airsoft replicas out there would be utterly destroyed by a drop from that height.  Specially all the pot metal receivers.

It's lucky the PDR is nice and light and compact, much more resilient to drops.

"Much more" is still not enough. The technicians at PTS should have known that the receiver tabs are too weak.

Magpul PTS, more like Overrated POS. Just because most of the other Airsoft brands don't put enough effort into designing their guns doesn't mean that you shouldn't go the extra mile.

Edited by Probotector

A *suitcase* load of the airsoft replicas out there would be utterly destroyed by a drop from that height.  Specially all the pot metal receivers.

This I can agree with. Cheapo ABS receivers, pot metal receivers, etc don't respond well to hitting the ground.

It's lucky the PDR is nice and light and compact, much more resilient to drops.

This where you've lost me. If a tab was broken by being dropped then it's not resilient to drops.

Granted, it really depends on where the PDR (or any airsoft rifle) lands when it gets dropped.

Granted, there are plastic bodied weapons (both real and airsoft) available that probably can withstand some serious punishment as far as drops. This drop test video of a G&G CM pretty much shows that plastic bodied rifles can be resilient (

)

But still, it's probably too much to expect any plastic bodied gun to hold up to being dropped onto any sort of hard surface.

On the other hand, broken receiver tabs are sort of an infamous problem (TM M4s, anyone?) that designers should probably be aware of and seek to remedy during the design process itself.

Edited by Gigueand

I've chucked my aging marui car15 around far worse than a small drop onto concrete (down hills, stairs, fallen onto it, ran into walls etc) and its still perfect no cracks or wobbles, and bear in mind it's one of the most fragile aeg designs in existence. So the quality of that ABS really has to be pretty damn bad to be damaged from a fall like that!

EDIT: the "theres no space for thicker tabs" argument is pretty null as well, it's not like magpul were modifying an existing design for the PDR which led to restrictions, this is all brand new (aside from inner gearbox parts) so the reality is there should have been space for thicker / reinforced tabs.

Edited by Deinhardt

"Much more" is still not enough. The technicians at PTS should have known that the receiver tabs are too weak.

Magpul PTS, more like Overrated POS. Just because most of the other Airsoft brands don't put enough effort into designing their guns doesn't mean that you shouldn't go the extra mile.

What I stated is a simple fact.  The majority of airsoft replicas would not stand up to that sort of a drop at all, they'd be snapped in half; everyone's seen pictures online if not in person.  The PDR did pretty well to only break a small part of 1 tab by comparison IMO.   Really no need to act that way is there?  Have I insulted your mother or something without realising?  Pretty sure I did nothing of the sort.

G&P put the same pot metal bodies on their £600+ guns as their <£200 guns.  Literally every other company, has, at some point or other, made a gun with a seriously high price tag and a weak construction.  Does that make it ok?  Nope.  But I don't seem to recall ever actually stating that directly either.

I still think the real sword guns have the best plastics available on any Airsoft gun produced .but then they do use real steel materials in their construction ( norinco )

As for the pdr , every gun has a weak spot somewhere and if its unlucky enough to land on it breakage will happen . Its just a case of hoping it can be mended / replaced for sensible money . Or hopefuly with a bit of invention strengthened/ repaired

Edited by Baddbaz

Feel free to not accept it.  I cannot prove that, nor shall I spend my time attempting to do so.  So if you choose not to agree then that's entirely your decision.

The majority of the guns out there are the ones which are very cheap.  Which leads me to believe that the majority of guns out there would also break pretty easily.  Don't agree? Crack on with disagreeing.  You're no more able to provide conclusive evidence that I'm wrong than I am able to provide conclusive evidence that I'm right, so arguing the point isn't exactly going to go anywhere now is it?

Important notice !!

Any noobs reading this , please don't take this as an invite to start dropping your Airsoft guns from ever increasing heights just so you can post up a thread saying ; my gun is made from da bestest plastic in the universe ;!!!

• Like 2

So basically the PDR has the resilience of a first generation TM M4s and JG-ish Pot metal bodied clones.

good to know we're paying £320 for a gun that may or may not be comparable to a 2005-ish era clone.

God, talk about taking an inch and running a mile with it!  :huh:

Do you always talk this much manure?

On a 9.6v NiMH, the gun's running with a rate of fire that most guns get on an 11.1v LiPo, and on a 7.4v LiPo the trigger response and rate of fire is better than most guns on a 9.6v NiMH. I've not tried it on an 11.1v LiPo because I'm still running the stock Ares clear plastic piston, and those have a tendancy to shear off at the back on 11.1v batteries.

Wouldn't it be easier to just write the actual ROF.

Edited by jal3

Feel free to not accept it.  I cannot prove that, nor shall I spend my time attempting to do so.  So if you choose not to agree then that's entirely your decision.

The majority of the guns out there are the ones which are very cheap.  Which leads me to believe that the majority of guns out there would also break pretty easily.  Don't agree? Crack on with disagreeing.  You're no more able to provide conclusive evidence that I'm wrong than I am able to provide conclusive evidence that I'm right, so arguing the point isn't exactly going to go anywhere now is it?

Except you are the one making the apparently unprovable claim, not me. I simply called you on it.

God, talk about taking an inch and running a mile with it!  :huh:

Do you always talk this much manure?

I dunno, it's not often I'm presented with so much shilling for a product that people obviously regret buying but are too proud to acknowledge.

Let me let you in on a little secret for airsofters who use reviews: a lot of us read the reviews of guns and pay by far the most attention to the bad points only, because any idiot can type "Feels solid" "Really Accurate" and other such stuff so it's generally taken as granted, whereas "The Charging handle fell off" or "The body broke in half" or in the case of the G&G Proline AKs "The Magnesium stock tangs break" can be corroborated with further research if it turns out to be a common issue! I know, madness right? That's why all this "No guys, it's good, really" stuff falls on deaf ears.

Edited by Ginger Chris

Surely, if I was shilling for the gun and too proud to acknowledge that I regretted buying it, I wouldn't have bothered posting the photo of the broken tab?

Fact is, I'm totally 100% super-duper happy with my PDR, I love it to bits and squeal about how cute it is every time I pick it up.

• Like 1

Wait, how's that 100% satisfaction even possible if the tabs broke like that? 

I know for a fact that I wasn't happy or fully satisfied with my Real Sword's folding stock breaking despite how much I think they're awesome. We're all guilty of being overly-loyal to a preferred manufacturer sometimes, but this is going too far. :-/