ASG Ultimate (made by Lonex) 16:1 except the Bevel gear, because G&G ones are quieter. I've taken Megalomaniac's advice and swapped the armature out for one from an EG1000. Current draw is significantly reduced and trigger response has actually improved, but overall rate of fire has dropped markedly. I'll be okay with the lower rate of fire I suppose, the new trigger response is worth the offset :D

That would be the usual trade off, higher torque means underload the pinion will reach max speed sooner but that speed will be lower, thus better trigger response but lower ROF.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*slams head onto desk*   Dear Magpul   Please get a company can produce decent internals for your guns (e.g G&P)   Yours Sincerely Anyone who wants to buy your product.

Why sure.     Oh wait, you meant the mod didn't you?

Everything he's posted has been factual, you're really not in any position to instruct anybody to discontinue providing relevant information.  He's also never made claims that PTS are amazing in every

That would be the usual trade off, higher torque means underload the pinion will reach max speed sooner but that speed will be lower, thus better trigger response but lower ROF.

Indeed, I'm familiar with the mechanics :) I wasn't expecting the trade off to be so high but it's not significant enough to be an issue. I might try and hunt down a Marui EG700 and steal it's armature, they're usually a little faster if I recall.

Entertainingly, I stole the armature from an EG1000 that was in my ancient G&G UMG, and I took the opportunity to upgrade that while it was in bits! I rewired it with 16AWG silicone-coated wire throughout (and reinforced the arcing-damaged trigger contacts while I was in there) and put a G&G High-Torque in there to replace the now-cannibalised EG1000. the trigger response and RoF that this thing now delivers is absolutely insane, I'd estimate 1400 rounds per minute on a 9.6v NiMH with a trigger response that reminds me of a GBB!

Final opinions on this? Should I pick one up now or wait for a better batch?

Besides the internal gears how does the gearbox hold up?

Really? 13 pages of opinions not enough? LOL

But to answer your questions:  Who knows if there will be a better batch? Haven't heard any announcement on a revised version.

With regard to the gearbox, I don't believe anyone has had any issues with the integrity of the gearbox thus far.

Final decision be yours.

On topic with the RoF thingy...

Why not try a Lonex a4 or a5 motor? 

Torque isnt insane on it, but they seem like good stock-ish replacement motors. 

-Hawaiian

I used motors that I had immediate access to, I'd have had to order one of those in.

Final opinions on this? Should I pick one up now or wait for a better batch?

Besides the internal gears how does the gearbox hold up?

Gearbox casing, piston, tappet plate, nozzle, gears all seem to hold up fine, I'm not aware of any failures of anything other than the trigger mechanism. If you happen to receive one that has a malfunctioning trigger, be sure to demand it be replaced for one that functions correctly.

Hmmmm does any of our Hong Kong friends know if you can still pick up a PDR from the stores out there? Lots of places only doing pre-orders at the moment and I am still determined to get one, despite the troubles...

I think the second batch will be released very soon in HK, if it hasn't already been released.

• Like 1

So i bought a PDR a few weeks ago and here are my thoughts...

When i got it my impressions where immediately possitive the gun feels rock solid in the hand and looks amazing. What i immediately didn't like (after adding a battery and having a test)was the mag change and the trigger pull oh and the fact that there are no sights (but i knew that before i bought the gun.

The button for dropping the mag is extremely stiff not making it easy for quick changes (if you're a high cap guy this wont be a problem).

On to the trigger pull.... it is long and combined with the regular gears inside it takes a while for the gun to let off a shot (not great if like me you play cqb). Also if your site only allows single shot it can be a problem as in the heat of the moment it can be easy to pull it a bit harder and get full auto to engage (not nice for the other guy).

During my first skirmish i came down early to get set up and avoid as many people as possible (i am not fond of people oogling my guns). Anyway i got set up and went to chrono the gun .......... jam .... yes the gun jammed on the first shot. Ive had bad luck with guns lately so i was about to throw it in the bin and get another hobby. After clearing the jam i got a nice consistent 310 (perfect for the uk).

Playing with the gun was a real mixed bag but mostly not great (this shouldn't be a reccomendation for a beginner). As expected the gun was slow to fire (a mix of long trigger pull and regular gears) resulting in many people getting the drop on me). It also jammed every sinhle time when i used full auto (just testing it not playing). I finished the day not messing any further with full auto for fear of stripping my piston.

A bit disheartened i went home.

I decided to kit it out internally as i have always wanted this gun and was determined to get it working. After opening the gun (which is very easy to do) i decided on the following

Shopping list -

13:1 shs gear set

new hop rubber

non beaked mosfet

sorbopad for angle of engagement fix

The 13:1 gear set helped a lot with how quick the gun was to spin up and fire.

The hop rubber i decided to change as the stock one is the same as the king arms p90 rubber ih has an added piece that helps it extend further in to the barrel when activating the hop dial. This cured my jamming issue (for some reason i am convinced that the relatively low fps of the uk was causing issues and jamming even with the hop fully off).

Non beaked mosfet to save the micro switch .....

Sorbo pad to correct the angle of engagement.... which it did.

After all of the upgrades i took it back to the site i go to the following week (last saturday).

The gun was 1 million times better.

It responded far more sharply (even with the long trigger pull) and I had no feeding issues AT ALL!

I did have 1 minor trigger issue which you can see (I have a lovely youtube video to show the performance of the gun)

also the mag release can be loosened up then you have opened the gun up and the stiffness of the trigger (Between semi and auto) can also be adjusted.

This is all my opinion and experiences so take it for what you will.

Over all my reccomendation is simple if you are willing to do a few upgrades then buy all means jump right in this is a good gun. If not then you might want to pass.

Ill be keeping mine as i love it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pDIaRT5yk

• Like 3

Thanks for the overview! It's great to get a field test from an owner, warts and all. 

On the mag release and catch - I actually found it functioned just fine, APART from the silence.. normally pop STANAGs in they click into place. On the PDR they don't, so if you are used to a click it will be disconcerting. I imagine this is either as designed (for stealth maybe) or a design issue, but either way not horrible.

Not sure if the sample I used was worn in, but I didn't have any issues with how stiff the release button was. Hope it works out for you too! 

Definitely sounds like people need to get it chrono'd before they take it down to a site and expect to use it, given that there does seem to be quite a variance in FPS. Mine came out at 345FPS, the posters above at 310 and then the one in the EpicAirsoft review is punching 360+. So it doesn't look like the springs have great QC on their ratings.

And yeah the no audible click is my only real gripe with this gun, having to listen for the sound of BBs rushing up the feed tube isn't as instinctive as I'm used to.

Edited by Manxmadman

Definitely sounds like people need to get it chrono'd before they take it down to a site and expect to use it, given that there does seem to be quite a variance in FPS. Mine came out at 345FPS, the posters above at 310 and then the one in the EpicAirsoft review is punching 360+. So it doesn't look like the springs have great QC on their ratings.

And yeah the no audible click is my only real gripe with this gun, having to listen for the sound of BBs rushing up the feed tube isn't as instinctive as I'm used to.

That is strange, I can't really explain the 360 - 345 variance, but down to 310 it may have been downgraded prior to sale in the UK. Jai might have got his for review before it got downgraded and shipped out to an average Joe customer.

Just a possibility. 

EDIT: 310 poster didn't say he was from the UK, a huge assumption on my part. :)

Edited by FTZ-WildeCard

I was finally able to get out and play with mine last weekend (serial no. 487 if anyone is curious).

It chrono'd right around 350 (first couple shots were around 360, then it settled between 345-350) and it performed great. I probably put a couple thousand rounds through it and did not experience a single jam. On mine, both the mag release and the two stage trigger feel just right. I had no problems firing semi without slipping into auto. The mag catch doesn't give you much feedback when inserting a mag, but a quick tug after you insert a mag solves any question of the mag being locked in.

I only had a couple minor complaints, but they weren't really performance issues. The gun does not like King Arms PMAG hi-caps. Would not feed more than a few rounds before shooting blanks. I switched to a G&P hi-cap and it fed flawlessly, mag after mag. No problems with any other mags that I tried. Also, after a few hours the lower part of my right hand got a little sore from holding the tiny grip, but not so bad that I had to stop using it.

Strangely, I did have that same broken body tab, but it doesn't have any effect on the assembly or performance of the gun so I got over it.

This is the first time I haven't switched back to my TM Type 89 halfway through the day.

Edited by extanker
  • Like 2