• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*slams head onto desk*   Dear Magpul   Please get a company can produce decent internals for your guns (e.g G&P)   Yours Sincerely Anyone who wants to buy your product.

Why sure.     Oh wait, you meant the mod didn't you?

Everything he's posted has been factual, you're really not in any position to instruct anybody to discontinue providing relevant information.  He's also never made claims that PTS are amazing in every

Was a little confused by this post. At the beginning it was a review and a breakdown of the internals. The middle was full of how sh@te it was and that nobody was going to buy one. The end is full of, when are they re-stocking and I want one nows???

I bought one the other day and am now terrified and confused :nosleep:

Be at ease young Skywalker, you haven't bought a bad airsoft gun, because to label it as bad would mean there exists a good airsoft gun. Most people are searching for that definitive rifle that is simply good out of the box, truth is, such a beast doesn't appear to exist, at least as far as airsoft forums are concerned.

Be at ease young Skywalker, you haven't bought a bad airsoft gun, because to label it as bad would mean there exists a good airsoft gun. Most people are searching for that definitive rifle that is simply good out of the box, truth is, such a beast doesn't appear to exist, at least as far as airsoft forums are concerned.

Real sword guns . Brilliant out of the box , real sword dragunov awesome out of the box . They do exist , just not with magpul branding on them .
  • Like 1

Real sword guns . Brilliant out of the box , real sword dragunov awesome out of the box . They do exist , just not with magpul branding on them .

Well, that's my point, if you were to read a review on those rifles, more than likely someone, somewhere has found a fault with them, while it might be a minority opinion, it still puts a fly in the ointment.

Plus, IF those guns were/are so good, why haven't they become the go to guns for airsofters worldwide?

Availability and price is the bugbear for them . Real sword have an unorthodox way of selling guns . Basically the retailer gives them the money and then they build them . They also put a minimum amount you can buy on their quotas so a lot of retailers won't deal with them . Its a shame as they are by a long mile the best built guns available .

Real steel externals , from the real steel norinco factory . no pot metal / aluminium anywhere on them . And top notch internals .

All mine only have an fps variance between shots of 2/3 fps .most of the bad press is from retailers that don't stock them trying to sell their own brands by putting them down .

Have you ever seen a broken real sword gun for sale ??

The only weak parts are the bits that they designed to fail should something go wrong inside them . ie dragunov pistons . 8.50 a pop to replace rather than a gearset . The internals and gearboxes are cheap to replace but built to top quality spec / strength so upgrade parts are not even required . They are at that level out of the box .

Why would a retailer sell a gun he can't sell you aftermarket improvements for ??

If any manufacturer says their guns are better built than a real sword externally they are talking out of their *albartroth* .even systema with their holy grail guns cannot even start to compare to real sword for materials used in their external construction . Shame they have not got their m4/ 16 guns to retail or it would be game over for a lot of the competition .

Edited by Baddbaz

Well, that's my point, if you were to read a review on those rifles, more than likely someone, somewhere has found a fault with them, while it might be a minority opinion, it still puts a fly in the ointment.

Someone complaining somewhere about their G&P/CA/RS/TM having a fault is a league away from the immediate Holy Balls What The Hell Is With The Idiotic Design Of This Gearbox that has surrounded the release of the PDR.

Was a little confused by this post. At the beginning it was a review and a breakdown of the internals. The middle was full of how sh@te it was and that nobody was going to buy one. The end is full of, when are they re-stocking and I want one nows???

I bought one the other day and am now terrified and confused :nosleep:

That's because a lot of us who were really looking forward to it started rolling around on our arses laughing at Magpul for teaming up with the amateurs at ARES again and producing another sub-par gun, not with occasional production based reliability issues that can sometimes befall other manufacturers like SRC or G&P, but because it was apparently designed by a pants on head muppetarded buffoon.

The reason the thread got a lot more positive later on is purely because those of us disgusted by the gearbox design and the severe willingness of current PDR owners to make every excuse possible for their terribly designed piece of gucci gash - generally left the thread to it's own devices.

Oh and don't drop it. The body will break open for like, no reason. MAGPUL POLYMERS WOOO

then i'l send him a PM [...] (his username is Chewie i presume?)

You'll be looking for Aod.

Was a little confused by this post. [...] I bought one the other day and am now terrified and confused :nosleep:

The key thing to remember is that the vast majority of this thread is commentary by people that have never handled, let alone owned, a PDR-C. Much of it exhibits confirmation bias towards a general dislike of MagPul, polymer guns, guns that don't exist in RS, guns that use proprietary gearboxes, guns that might have ARES-inspired design features - the works. Plus, you need to consider that anyone who bought this gun and was happy with it didn't come looking for explanation and an audience to complain to - and therefore didn't need to post here. So while some of it is grounded in truth, in truth whatever you have on the ground is more important. For example:

Someone complaining somewhere about their G&P/CA/RS/TM having a fault is a league away from the immediate Holy Balls What The Hell Is With The Idiotic Design Of This Gearbox [...] teaming up with the amateurs at ARES again [....] it was apparently designed by a pants on head muppetarded buffoon. [...] The reason the thread got a lot more positive later on is purely because those of us disgusted by the gearbox design and the severe willingness of current PDR owners to make every excuse possible for their terribly designed piece of gucci gash - generally left the thread to it's own devices.

Not to pick on Ginger Chris unfairly here, but merely as a representative, his argument essentially boils down to "This is a stupid gearbox designed by amateur idiots" (because ARES, who sell thousands of airsoft weapons a year, are amateurs compared to well-known and respected professional manufacturer Ginger Chris) "and when the people who actually had their hands on the gun didn't agree with my point of view I abandoned the thread" (unfortunately Ginger Chris, who - I'm just guessing here - doesn't actually own a PDR-C, was unable to convince some of the owners - including a professional airsoft tech - that their purchase was irredeemable rubbish, and thus had to leave).

This is not to say that the PDR-C is flawless and the apex of airsoft design, or that only people who do exactly the same job as the person they're critiquing can criticise. But I am trying to point out that a lot of this thread is hyperbole from people who don't actually own the weapon - including me. I've handled one and spoken to Aod, one of the owners in this thread and more qualified than just about anyone else in the thread to pass judgement on the design, and his verdict is that he bought it with his own money, knowing that it would benefit from some upgrades. He seems very happy with it.

Most people are searching for that definitive rifle that is simply good out of the box, truth is, such a beast doesn't appear to exist

Well...

Real sword guns

... Exactly. And as to why...

IF those guns were/are so good, why haven't they become the go to guns for airsofters worldwide?

They don't make M4s.  :angry:

• Like 1

To be honest, I see that ARES/STAR has been rather innovative in coming up with a number of their mechbox designs. 

- QD springs

- Quick change contacts.

- Innovative motor cages

- Innovative barrel trunnions

Downside is:

- Hard to disassemble

- proprietary hop up rubbers.

- crappy motor

- crappy piston

- Some models have structural issues. (e.g. L86)

- Some models have a real lack of detail (e.g. M14, UMP etc)

Thats really sums up about it with ARES products.  If people can overcome these issues on a generic ARES gun then they usually have a very formidable skirmish piece.

One of my best guns is an old ares m4 cqbr , very accurate , good range . But heavy to wield .

The ares motors are their worst fault . Pistons don't hold up well at high fps but are replaceable ( type 0 usually .. If left at sensible fps ( mine is at 350 . The internals last well . If pushed hard or badly upgraded . Gearbox casings , pistons etc will break .

The tavor was a terrible gun . With too many faults to be accepted for its price . The pdr has took its best part ( the gearbox casing ) and built the pdr around it .unfortunatly they still gave it the usual rubbish ares motor . The rest of the gun has niggles that can be solved easily and is quite a good gun once sorted .

But as stated by a few people . At this price point the gun should be out of the box good , not left to new owners to put right ..by spending more money .

What peeved me the most was the early arguments and the face book denial that it had any ares type internals by people linked to its manufacture . And once someone opened it up lo and behold it had ares type internals .

Yes it's a unique gun and credit has to be given that we actually got an Airsoft version of it . But to me it leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with its initial marketing and overhyping .,ares have good ideas and then ruin it all by putting those ideas into practice at a low budget . All the hard work is lost at the end product . For gods sake someone wedge a few of their rubbish motors up the managing directors *albartroth* and maybe then he will learn !

Edited by Baddbaz
"and when the people who actually had their hands on the gun didn't agree with my point of view I abandoned the thread" (unfortunately Ginger Chris, who - I'm just guessing here - doesn't actually own a PDR-C, was unable to convince some of the owners - including a professional airsoft tech - that their purchase was irredeemable rubbish, and thus had to leave).

"No no no no, guys! It's a great gun as long as you drop even more money than the initial 320 quid to upgrade the internals to not be jelly, as long as you don't mind the shaved bbs coming out of the feed tube. Oh and literally all AEGs instantly break if you drop them from any height ever, it's a true fact, the "weak" body is not a design fault at all! How dare you criticise a gun like this, you literally have to be an airsoft manufacturer to be able to criticise the design of a gun. MUUUM THE MAN SAID MY EXPENSIVE TOY GUN WAS BAD MAKE HIM STOOOOP"

Lollin. :D

Like I said earlier in the thread though, if it was priced at say £200, I wouldn't be mocking it quite as much, it's the fact they're still asking 320 for it. :busted_blue:

Edited by Ginger Chris

I'm awarding that comment a "D-" and a "See me later!" written in red pen and underlined repeatedly, as your straw man resembled precisely no-one in the thread.  :rolleyes: 

The PDR-C is like any and every other airsoft gun - it usually needs work out of the box and that work isn't free. As to fundamental flaws in the design, it would appear that neither they nor the apparently exorbitant price stopped the PDR-C selling out at RedWolf, eHA and everywhere else a cursory glance revealed, so it might be that they're not as fundamental as you think. They certainly don't seem to bother any of the people I know who actually own them.

LOL @ Ginger Chris

Obviously someone has never owned a high end airsoft gun...Seen Inokatsu GBBRs fail after the first game, seen vipers GBBRs fail on their first day, seen the most expensive stuff die on their first day.  Then I have seen the cheapest AEG, function for 6 months on daily use as a loaner.

This is airsoft LOL, where any gun out of the box can die on you on the first day, and is never satisfactory out of the box.  If you don't want a brand new low/high end gun to disintegrate on you you will need to open it up to add some preventative mods...and that includes Real Sword guns.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • Like 1

What preventative mods would you add to a real sword gun ??? The gears , gearbox , hops are as strong if not better qc than most upgrade parts you can buy .

Everything on them leaves the factory tested , chronoed and the certificate of the guy who built / tested it is included in the box along with its serial no .

The shimming / grease is perfect . The motors are strong . And no upgrade work is needed unless you want to fit a MOSFET ..

Edited by Baddbaz

The PDR-C is like any and every other airsoft gun - it usually needs work out of the box and that work isn't free.

LOL @ Ginger Chris

Obviously someone has never owned a high end airsoft gun...Seen Inokatsu GBBRs fail after the first game, seen vipers GBBRs fail on their first day, seen the most expensive stuff die on their first day.  Then I have seen the cheapest AEG, function for 6 months on daily use as a loaner.

This is airsoft LOL, where any gun out of the box can die on you on the first day, and is never satisfactory out of the box.  If you don't want a brand new low/high end gun to disintegrate on you you will need to open it up to add some preventative mods...and that includes Real Sword guns.

Don't want to harp on, but this is the kind of inconsistent posting on these threads that causes people confusion. Just one page back when I made the general statement that ALl airsoft guns appear to need work, I was quickly 'corrected' by Badbaz and PureSilver as to the greatness of Real Sword, only to find one page on PureSilver mimicking my very own 'wisdom', see first quote above.

The reason for the second quote, although it reinforces my point, is that no matter where you go, someone will have a negative opinion about almost any rifle. Lemons exist, peoples standards vary.....people lie.

At the end of the day, you'll find this phenomenon in every product market from cars, to houses to computer games. Bottom line, nothing is perfect, you have to go in with a certain mindset (maybe more so with airsoft). I think once you've chosen your primary platform its the start of a relationship between you and the rifle. Just like a woman, you've got to learn what makes it tick, its weaknesses and strengthsnbefore you can get the best out of it.

A one night stand in airsoft means only one persons getting screwed, and it's probably you ;)

• Like 2

I think the issue here is the fact that some Airsoft guns are not that good out of the box to start with in the first place . The pdr is one of these guns .

99% of real swords leave the factory tested , shimmed correctly and with decent quality parts inside them . Hence real swords good reputation

Unfortunatly the same cannot be said of magpul / ares guns

You can upgrade a real sword gun if you so choose , with the pdr it has to be upgraded to work properly in the first place !

Seeing the price point on these two makes is not that different I know where my money would be safer .

320 for the pdr

335 for real sword ak

Seeing as the pdr has cheaper to make externals I would expect to see the internals being of better quality than they actually are .

On a balance the real sword costs more to make due to the higher grade of materials used in its construction and the workmanship put into it .

Come selling time which gun holds its money better and which gun will still be working with no upgrades .and which one works and shoots well out of the box ??

Personally I think the pdr price point is too high for what you are actually getting ..maybe 5 years ago this was acceptable , but not with company's like g&g, jg, Cyma churning out more reliable , more skirmishable out of the box guns at a lower price point but with better qc than guns like the pdr ..

Edited by Baddbaz
  • Like 1

Don't want to harp on, but this is the kind of inconsistent posting on these threads that causes people confusion. Just one page back when I made the general statement that [ALL] airsoft guns appear to need work, I was quickly 'corrected' by Badbaz and PureSilver as to the greatness of Real Sword, only to find one page on PureSilver mimicking my very own 'wisdom', see first quote above.

I did say "usually" for a reason ;)

Like Baddbaz says...

99% of real swords

...you can't say 100%-never-ever-anything-wrong because there's always one exception. However, judging by their absolutely stellar reputation, some hands-on time, some reviews, some examination with a tech friend and their excellent QC, I am confident that all but a tiny fraction of Real Swords work right out of the box, don't need any work for the UK market, and will continue to do so for several centuries in all probability. If there is an exception to the general rule that all guns need work out of the box (even if it's only set-up tuning) then RealSword is it.

Edited by PureSilver

Undeniably true comments about RealSword.... but I don't want an AK, Type97 or an SVD.... Their product range is limited.

When I bought my PDR, I took on board all the poor points and weighed them up with it's biggest plus point which is the PDR's look and feel and made my own judgement before purchasing. It was one of those "I just want one" retail therapeutic moments...!

I reckon all the comments here have been fair and you simply need to balance it up to make up your own mind. I can't say I've had any regrets just yet as it's early days...

• Like 1

"No no no no, guys! It's a great gun as long as you drop even more money than the initial 320 quid to upgrade the internals to not be jelly, as long as you don't mind the shaved bbs coming out of the feed tube. Oh and literally all AEGs instantly break if you drop them from any height ever, it's a true fact, the "weak" body is not a design fault at all! How dare you criticise a gun like this, you literally have to be an airsoft manufacturer to be able to criticise the design of a gun. MUUUM THE MAN SAID MY EXPENSIVE TOY GUN WAS BAD MAKE HIM STOOOOP"

Lollin. :D

Like I said earlier in the thread though, if it was priced at say £200, I wouldn't be mocking it quite as much, it's the fact they're still asking 320 for it. :busted_blue:

Okay, this gun's been on the market for a couple of months now, so I can say some things with absolute certainty;

Failures experienced on Magpul PDR-C rifles sold by Pro Airsoft Supplies (appx. 20 rifles) = 1

Cause of failure was screw holding trigger-plate to the side of the gearbox had loosened causing intermittant contact and eventual failure to fire, time and cost to fix? 5 minutes and a 1p dab of Loctite.

None of the PDR-C rifles sold by Pro Airsoft Supplies have been upgraded there, I've yet to hear of any of their customers complaining about shaved BBs, shattered bodies, low rate of fire, poor trigger response, jellied-eel-internals or anything else you've mentioned.

My PDR is still functioning well, I eventually settled on a motor that gave me around 25 rounds per second on a 7.4v 1680mAh pack as available from Midas Airsoft.

Edited by Aod
  • Like 2