g3sg1 slow custom build

twchdyn

Hello

Ive been Lurking on here a little while now, So i thought i should get posting, Here's my build thread!!!

After dabbling in airsoft many years ago, I have decided to have a proper go. Used to have a heavily modded tm g3sg1 and wanted to go down a similar route with another one. This time i intend to have 2 configurations for the gun.

So.... Picked up a JG sg1 and I'm impressed, quality seems to just pip the marui.

Plans are.

Psg1 barrel
Custom flash hider or silencer to hide the barrel. (will machine these myself)
quality hop unit (not sure which i will go for yet)
Custom front grip.
Low mounted scope

metal body and cocking tube

.....and im sure i will think of more.

First things first. I binned the battery and charger and cut off the crappy tamiya plugs, Soldered a deans on and found a suitable 3 cell lipo. Rate of fire is immense. not sure how long the gearbox will last but when it dies il build a better one.

Next job. Cure the wobble.
Using 16mm round ally stock backbone.

trim the breach to accomodate the rod.

GEDC2270.jpg

Machine a slot to allow the top spine of the gearbox to slot in.

GEDC2273.jpg

That all fits back together

GEDC2274.jpg

Chop the bolt to size

GEDC2275.jpg

Onto the lathe to turn the front of the ally down, to get a nice tight fit in the front of the cocking tube.

GEDC2278.jpg

Fit that back together

GEDC2279.jpg

And after a squirt of paint

GEDC2280.jpg

Job done

More to come!!

Love what you are doing, as much as I love G3s, even the metal ones aren't exactly well engineered... What I have always wondered is if it's possible to run a screw/rod from the tip of the front sight, through the cocking handle and gas tube, replace the bolt runner and screw into the area where the runner originally hooked onto. This would mean that the entire front end is pulled into the upper receiver, creating a much more solid join than just the crappy wings and 2 bolts at the point that the barrel & receiver meet...

Also, I wish someone would create something similar to the PDI Chamber block at a sensible price, as that would add even more rigidity to the rifle.

i dont see why you couldnt run somthing the entire length of the gun thers nothing in the cocking tube you cant do without. would need to hack some plastic out from the receiver but its doable.

i looked at the pdi thingy and i cant see it helping a great deal. the stock outer barrel is very thin and flexible and it would only fit inside the block by a few cms, and the price....... :o :o

Anyways heres pics of the new barrel without paint

GEDC2333.jpg

GEDC2331.jpg

Archived