Some kind of pistol carbine

renegadecow

With the lack luster opinions over the newly released Magpul PDR and my growing desire for a new pistol carbine, I've been staying up late at night drawing up designs and bugging friends for opinions which has brought me to this:

glockpdw_2.jpg

Now before any of you go "not another build thread!?!" I'm not actually decided on building this in the near future as I'm pretty much swamped as it is. But I feel that this is such a convenient and appealing design that I may as well have it in the open in case it churns peoples minds if not my own.

Basically it's a Glock-in-a-box. A fiberglass clamshell, no frills PDW with a handgun inside with design elements lifted from Magpul and FN (and I'm pretty sure there's STEYR in it too). Practically slab-sided, the only thing that breaks contours is a port to access the mag catch, possibly an ambidextrous manual safety for the relocated trigger, optional side rail and ambidextrous charging handle (folding, non-reciprocating). And the whole thing measures a mere 14 inches long! So, what do you guys think? Also I'm thinking of putting a Kel Tech grip pattern (squares) for the grip and butt area, but didn't draw them on just yet.

and I know the Glock is the AR of the pistol world but really?

Surely you mean the 1911 is the AR of the pistol world. As for my Glock carbine, well, anything that covers a Glock is an improvement IMHO. As for the spacey feel to it, that's sort of the point. I was tempted to put more Appleseed/Ghost in the Shell in it but that's gonna go more Thundermaul than I should.

@Darlite

I only tapered the butt being hounded by this old design which I can't remember where I got from:

a_080910copy.jpg

As much as a taller butt would be more comfortable to shoulder, I kept the taper in thinking it would be easier to conceal under a jacket since it's small enough to actually carry concealed.

Surely you mean the 1911 is the AR of the pistol world. As for my Glock carbine, well, anything that covers a Glock is an improvement IMHO. As for the spacey feel to it, that's sort of the point. I was tempted to put more Appleseed/Ghost in the Shell in it but that's gonna go more Thundermaul than I should.

Nope, the 1911 goes with the AK, classic designs that have formed the basis for so many modern designs, but have still been updated to cope with the real world. Not the most up to date but can be perfect in the right hands.

AR and Glock, added things like plastic builds and standardised parts that allow for a variety of configurations and options all based around a single original design, ergonomic and easy to make generic or specific.

Just my view on them. As for this it does just look Thundermaul-ish to me, but saying that it is no worse than those APS RONI things that look like a child made it up in his dreams and then grew up to become an Anime artists and gun designer. :P

'FireKnife'

You don't know the meaning of Thundermaul. For you I'll make this just for the sheer enjoyment of watching you tear your own eyeballs out:

0906102.jpg

I actually think this one really did come from some anime. Also, technically the Thundermaul's real name is Ika Zuchi. It was JG that cloned it and named it Thundermaul for who knows why.

edit:

I've just remembered from what depths of my subconscious I derived the design on the butt area. being made of fiberglass, I was thinking of giving it ballast to double as a lifesaver. The holes are for gripping as with a lifeguard buoy.

Pamela-Anderson-0094-5.jpg

I don't care what it is called, it is still an abomination.

As for that 1911-thing, erm just no. I mean ambi safeties, railed frames, three dot rights and extended magwells are at least functional. That is just daft. Also why the giant front bladed sight seeing as everything behind it is raised up higher or is that due to me looking at it as a flat image and it is open at the back? Either way, no, just no :P.

Still if you can make the Glock one you are hiding a Glock in a shell and some people will be grateful for that ;).

'FireKnife'

I'll probably be doing multiple cardboard cutouts first including inputs from you guys and see what feels right. The procedure to make it isn't all that hard (router basic shape out of plywood, coat with fiberglass), it's just that I don't have the time to spare and do all possible alterations. Basically let things simmer and evolve on this thread until something good craps out of it. On a side note, I have a friend who's interested in testing/commissioning it but it's for his real steel 1911 :P. Doubtless I'll need something stronger than fiberglass (I already have a source for carbon fiber) but point being is that the carbine kit can be made essentially for all kinds of pistols, not just Glocks.

It's already there, and it's called an APS UAR.

Although I think that UAR is quite cool, it's a bit too long for what I want it for, I'm thinking something along the lines of a Micro Tavor - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-m7u-MGaQY4k/T3cb8bVz33I/AAAAAAAACrI/ZBC2SJLjoJY/s1600/tavor_micro1.jpg

edit: I'm very interested to see how you do the fiberglassing RC, mostly how the glock attaches inside and still remain secure? The construction looks a lot like the Redjacket ZK-22 kits, I prefer your design though.

For my V3 idea I thought about making like a chassis, possibly out of an AK body, that holds the gearbox, magwell and hop/barrel and it can just be removed as 1 piece to service the gun and it keeps everything lined up nicely. With a clamshell this would be even easier I guess.

Although I think that UAR is quite cool, it's a bit too long for what I want it for, I'm thinking something along the lines of a Micro Tavor - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-m7u-MGaQY4k/T3cb8bVz33I/AAAAAAAACrI/ZBC2SJLjoJY/s1600/tavor_micro1.jpg

then check this out.

http://acmdavao.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=airsoftnewsdealers&action=print&thread=4754

its not as small as the one in your picture.

But this one seems to be a local product. Philippines

RC: you must know anything about it right? :)

Didn't know about that one. Digging around, it seems to be a custom unit, unsure if it was even built from a TAR-21 replica and they only "sold" just the one. And I put sold in quotations because it's also very likely that it was just a promotional stint by that retailer (known for that and other unethical business practices) putting a real micro Tavor on their shelf to sell the ARES TAR-21 as they never really did advertise the micro as being for sale.

I like the Block-in-a-Gox (snigger) idea quite a lot, but I don't like that buttstock much. Why have slingloops there when you could never use them and shoulder the weapon? When it comes to crazy futuristic weapons, I always liked Aaron Beck's stuff (he did the weapons for Avatar, for instance):

8458448972_afe0c37d5c_b.jpg

While Browning tilting breech designs adapted to airsoft have the the outer barrel tilt up/down, the inner stays more or less stationary. An extended inner barrel can poke through the original outer barrel and into the outer barrel/shroud of the clamshell which can have its own threading for suppressors or flash hiders. Or you could poke the suppressor/tracer unit into the clamshell and make it integral.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived