FINALLY A PTW TRIGGER FOR THE V3!

kilo_64

I have a Chimera in my SR635 and would recommend it with a few minor reservations. The stock wiring is very large and you'll need to trim it down to fit inside the terminals on the mosfet. I also had to do a little file work on the VFC gearbox to get the wires to fit in the channels. The data wires are very thin and easy to break if you pinch them in part of the body or gearbox shell, and the wires will pull out of the connectors fairly easily if you try to pull the connector out of the mosfet by the wires. There isn't a lot of connector to grab on to when you're trying to remove them, so you might be tempted to pull by the wire. If you're careful with them it won't be a problem, though, but it would be nice if the data wires were easier to remove from the board. Other than that, programming is easy and function has been flawless in the few thousand rounds I've put through it so far. 

100$? This better make your AEGs accurate to 3 kilometres!

Seriously, though: what does this thing do?

http://www.btcairsoft.com/chimera_v2gb

Basically full fire control and individual programming for each selector position, on top of normal FET duties. External unit is loosely based off an EF Lion, but the components are stronger/beefier.

Find it somewhat amusing that AWS/BTC gave up on the AWS Raptor and copied the form of the ASCU G1/G2 layout and AS have given up on the ASCU 2 part form and copied the AWS Raptor layout.

In the development thread over on ASM; the reason why the FET is outside of the trigger unit is because the hardware isn't small enough to be fitted into the Raptor.  The Raptor has it's limitations being so small (considering it's on the trigger board, along with all the switches and things) so Frank got the blessings of Terry who designed the ExtremeFire FETs and adapted the EF FET into the Chimera.

It might seem like BTC copied the ASCU design; but really with the limitations of the current hardware they can get for the FETs it's hard not to 'copy' what ASCU did (even though the intention wasn't to copy the ASCU).  It's like trying to make wheels with a different shape than a circle.

i have ordered one of these to finaly complete my g36. i ordered it on monday and have yet to receive a dispatch email etc but we shall see. i shall post a review when i have it installed. ive been on AM a lot and followed the thread from the begining and people brought up how delicate the cables and the trigger boards are, however on his website you can buy spares of these parts separately. to another extent it allows you to set up multiple guns with trigger boards  and cables (obviously V2 and 3 at this time) and only have to swap the fet ot between rifles. this therefore makes it brilliant! 

from the original thread there are other trigger boards in development covering nearly all AEG on the market. these will take time to appear tho.

I've already placed an order when I saw this post 2 days ago, however, does anyone know if this is compatible with a real sword AK? I know their gearbox are a little different, but largely the same so I figured I might get lucky. Anyway, even if it doesn't fit I'm sure I can find another v3 gun somewhere to put it in... 

I've already placed an order when I saw this post 2 days ago, however, does anyone know if this is compatible with a real sword AK? I know their gearbox are a little different, but largely the same so I figured I might get lucky. Anyway, even if it doesn't fit I'm sure I can find another v3 gun somewhere to put it in... 

If the switch is 100% V3-compatible, then yes it will fit. If not...then it won't, unless you're willing to modify the switch yourself.

If the switch is 100% V3-compatible, then yes it will fit. If not...then it won't, unless you're willing to modify the switch yourself.

I'll be the guinea pig I guess... they look close enough in pictures, will let everyone know... the RS body is just too nice for it to have such a crappy trigger. 

Posted · Hidden by Arnie, May 22, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Arnie, May 22, 2013 - No reason given

I had quite a few issues with the chimera doing....odd...things, and despite the claim of "amazing customer support" or whatever, Frank didn't seem too keen on helping me out (mostly trying to blame me after installing the mosfets into multiple guns with multiple battery and gearbox arrangements, all of which yielded the same result) and after promising me a refund sent me "refurbished" units instead (which were promptly sold). 

oh, then he deleted my posts on airsoftmechanics where I sought a public response to the issues.

As someone who's built literally hundreds of guns for people to have such issues out of the box with no explanation is sort of a disappointment for me. Makes me pretty hesitant to try what's essentially the same mosfet with a different trigger unit shape.

I had quite a few issues with the chimera doing....odd...things, and despite the claim of "amazing customer support" or whatever, Frank didn't seem too keen on helping me out (mostly trying to blame me after installing the mosfets into multiple guns with multiple battery and gearbox arrangements, all of which yielded the same result)

I'm not sure who you are but I have a pretty good idea despite all the inaccuracies in your post.

The "odd" thing you speak of was the Chimera giving you a low voltage warning. We worked together by email to identify the problem and initially I merely mentioned that such an error tends to be a problem with the build or wiring issues, just because I bring up the most likely issues first does not mean I was outright blaming you. After you tried multiple motors and batteries, I decided to take the time to write a custom coded FET for you in which the low voltage detection threshold is significantly reduced and would have solved the problem.

and after promising me a refund sent me "refurbished" units instead (which were promptly sold). 

Both are completely untrue. You returned your unit to me in exchange for the custom coded unit which is absolutely not refurbished in any way (no one has ever sent a unit back for a refund in the first place), so explain how you came to such a claim. And I never promised you a refund. The dealer you ordered from (TigerTacticalAirsoft) is a good friend of mine so I said I would convince him to give you a refund if you contacted him.

I also asked you to test the new custom coded unit I sent you first before jumping to getting a refund from the dealer. But now I see you "promptly sold" the units I spent time writing up for you without even testing them....

oh, then he deleted my posts on airsoftmechanics where I sought a public response to the issues.

I'm not allowed to delete posts on AM, nor did I ever see such a post related to this matter so it was probably moved by a moderator. If I had seen it, my response would be the same as this post.

In summary: I've spent plenty of time helping you via email, going so far as to writing up a custom code for you, then sent you the custom FET at my own expense, and promised to talk to the dealer directly to get you a refund should the problem persist. Most people would agree that is indeed amazing customer support.

But in return for all this, I see you never even bothered to test out the custom units I wrote up for you, twist up everything I said about how to get your refund, and outright lie that the custom unit was "refurbished". According to the dealer, he said you never even spoke to him about getting a refund.

I believe that this will be the first time I've ever said this about any company; but it is absolutely amazing that BTC will go so far out of their way just to write a custom software for you. If that isn't "amazing customer support" I don't know what is :fear2:

Simo_Hayha, considering all the support they've given you and the fact you could've easily gotten the refund; it's seems to me that you're being the obvious troll here. :no:

BlackTalon! hearing your side of things now has elevated my confidence in your products! What you did for Simo_Hayha is beyond amazing customer support in my book :D

Can't wait to get the v3 chimera in the mail now LOL

Archived