Ground Zero Weekender 2013

I know it's a bit early for an NAE 2013 thread - its 6 months away - but I'm excited and the anticipation is half the fun :D I thought I would add this thread here, in the new sub-forum, because, much like when I created last year's NAE discussion thread, I'm hoping that we can establish an Arnies presence there this year and maybe organise a member's meet up.

Haters will no doubt hate :P Which is sort of fair enough I guess - the chances are is that they may try to bump up the admission again this year. Meaning £90 as a base cost for the event and, for most, the total cost will be considerably higher.

I probably shan't be skirmishing at the event this year. Thinking pragmatically about it with my team mates it just makes so much sense to go as a 'civilian'. I'll be bringing my marquee down again this year (as a repairs workshop this time) and juggling the tent duties with skirmishing was almost impossible last year. Then there's the cost - going as a non-skirmisher means I'll only have to pay £5 per night or so, which is £15 as opposed to £90. And I guess the elephant in the room, which needs to be addressed, is that by going as a non-skirmisher I can enjoy the social side of the event whilst avoiding the infamous gameplay, which often leaves much to be desired. Plus, if I don't pay to skirmish, I won't have to brave the traditionally nasty weather. Then again, I may kick myself when I haven't booked in to skirmish. Seeing all the players gathering, ready for the start of play, will no doubt give me an itchy trigger finger. Especially since sod's law dictates that with me not skirmishing, the weather will be fantastic (or so I hope :P)!

Anyway, who here is going? What do you have to say about this year's event? Should we Arnies members arrange a meet up?

BTW, the event dates - which can only currently be found on the Zero In forums - are 23rd, 24th and 25th August 2013.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be there. Whilst GZ does have it's flaws, the weekender is a great chance to catch up with a few friends and shoot people in the process. Also makes a nice chance to mozy around the secondhand markets and pick up a bargain or two (to offset the cost of actually going there).

This year I'm also using it as a deadline to get my L96 fitted up with upgrades, as i've been running it stock for over a year now...

I'm glad we all agree that the NAE is still worth it :)

I always like to highlight the positives whilst discussing any event. In the case of the 2012 Weekender I think the organisers should be given credit for having improved:

-the catering situation

-maps and signage for in-game navigation

-better seating arrangements in the main area

-better social arrangements in the evenings (lighting, beer, ale, movies, etc.)

-they also promoted the second-hand sales by allocating better plots for sellers

That's why I'll be attending again this year, because for once, the players were not ignored. I'm looking forward to seeing whats new this year.

I'm glad we all agree that the NAE is still worth it :)

I always like to highlight the positives whilst discussing any event. In the case of the 2012 Weekender I think the organisers should be given credit for having improved:

-the catering situation

-maps and signage for in-game navigation

-better seating arrangements in the main area

-better social arrangements in the evenings (lighting, beer, ale, movies, etc.)

-they also promoted the second-hand sales by allocating better plots for sellers

That's why I'll be attending again this year, because for once, the players were not ignored. I'm looking forward to seeing whats new this year.

Also, they listened to the feedback about the Assassins rule in the 2011 game and pretty much removed it. That for me was the greatest improvement between 2011 and 2012 that they made to the gameplay

Very true, that really helped last year as well. I hope they stick with that this time because, even though I might not be playing personally, I think the assassins thing and the associated rifles-in-faces is probably one of the most detrimental devices on the reputation of the NAE.

Yeah, the assassins rule, as with the night game, does add a little something to the NAE - which many people like to see given the high price tag of the event. So its fair enough that they kept it. But I'm so glad they toned it down.

Btw everyone, I wanted to let it be known early that:

Since I am bringing down my tent and using it as a workshop to provide repairs I am happy to accommodate some 2nd hand sales under-cover. This is because I know for a fact that I'm not going to be needing the full 30ft x 10ft marquee for my work bench. So, if anyone knows that they will have a 2nd hand sales pitch to setup at the event then feel free to contact me if you fancy some under-cover space in case the weather is (which is likely :P)

Also, as with last year, if anyone has just a small selection of items such as kneepads or whatever then please feel free to add them to our own sales mat in the workshop tent. Because we'll be there throughout the event you can come back and collect the proceeds from the sale at any time :) I was happy to see that this allowed some players to go out and skirmish freely whilst their gear got sold for them - we're just happy to help. Although, if you do drop any sales items off with us make sure it has a price tag with it so we know how much to sell it for :D

The problem with the assassin rule was more a lack of organisation on the side of the teams themselves.

Back in 2010 our lot took a turn at protecting the HQ and the TL on both days during some of the assassin mission and caught a couple of would be assassins before they got close. We all friendly asked people to see their tags and never raised a gun into their face (dangerous much) and most was unholster a pistol for me personally which turned out to be a good idea as the 2 lads we were talking to were assassins. Someone even said while our lads were in position there wasnt an attempt which got close enough where as there was one when we were off on a mission (this may be wrong but it came from the Team Leader so I took that as true...he should know if he got killed or not)

The problem comes when everyone else is also demanding to see tags while milling in and out like a bunch of lost boys and those in the TL's inner circle dont all know that theres a group standing guard specifically looking out for intruders...I got questioned by one fella after I had been stood a couple of feet from him for the best part of an hour.

Brilliant idea, adds a massive amount to gameplay but not always executed well, partly due to the open layout of the terrain and the players themselves not coming up with a plan that works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Giving it a try is a good idea :)

The best advice I can give is not to approach the NAE as a skirmish. Consider it more of a camping trip/festival event and all the airsoft fun will become a bonus.

I say this merely because unfortunately the NAE is notorious for attracting an unusually high concentration of bonafide clowns who may spoil your day's skirmishing. But provided that you don't take this to heart and enjoy the firefights with the rest of the players, you will still enjoy the objectives.

They're providing up to 5 lifeguards type chairs per base this year for the express purpose of chairsofting. The extra height allows for better field of view apparently...

As long as they put in a rule the team commanders can't sit in it as I have had too many years of the chair taking priority over the game.

Reminds me of 2010 when the others team commander faffed about so much getting his chair up that the game had started and delta ended up ambushing us at the start point while we were waiting for the game to start!!!

Curlyboy

Archived