Ground Zero Weekender 2013

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting to see as someone who went in 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2011 (with the ever increasing numbers) that this looks like the first time the event will have sub 900 attendees.

I suspect 'economy' plays a part but it will be interesting to see the feedback on the event this year and if the reduction in numbers correlates to less negative reviews.

If i remember rightly, 2011 had the largest attendance, which then dropped in 2012, I had no idea it would be so low this time around.

Only negatives I can remember from last year is the lack of end of game briefing after we (others) kicked delta's *albatross*, the event just kind of stopped, which was a shame.

Cost? people complain, but I have 100x more fun at GZ than at any music festival I've been dragged along to, and, so long as i dont go mad in the shop, it's a damn sight cheaper too.

I can't really think of a good reason not to go, so long as you have a couple of buddies it's a real good laugh and a great excuse to get wrecked in the evenings..

Maybe they havent updated the numbers on the NAE website?

The numbers are about what they were last year, but last year they lost 200 players as a big university team that were booked on the others pulled out at the last minute so on the counter the others had a lot more players than delta and bravo but in reality had far fewer but still won the weekend also thanks in part for us finally getting an effective team commander compared to the previous years (except woody and Jesus that is) who prioritised the game over setting up his chair.

I am glad though the cost did not go up as £85 is a lot of money for a two day skirmish but not as much as others, plus I hope they have more trade stands than last year although I found it funny that people were avoiding the cyber gun tent like the plague as at the time the rumour was going around about them blocking TM imports or some such thing.

Also this year they are opening the range all day as last year was farcical as you could not test or try your gun except on the field unless they could spare someone to open it for you.

Either way looks like it will be a great year even if numbers are down as I went in 2006 and there was only about 900 players and it was a blast.

Curlyboy

To be honest, I think the numbers it was achieving made the experience possibly worse in terms of the actual game play that went out. With 900 or so it might be easier to actually move around the site without expecting every bush to explode in BBs. The first one our guys went to (I think it was 2010 we went), was the best and I think that had the lowest numbers.

I think the numbers are likely to be just as high as last year, actually. They have been steadily increasing over the years and lets face it the economy went down the suwannee quite a while ago. So, I reckon attendance should be about the same or higher this year. Either way is fine, less numbers, better play. More numbers, the more the merrier.

Of course I do :P

But it is more the timing as it will mean making sure I have a place to stay, getting guns down to my uncles and making sure no-one else at work is on holiday or my course isn't booked etc.

Damn job and life, why can't I live in a decent area that isn't full of inbred morons.

'FireKnife'

Team Beans will be back on Delta again after giving last year a miss. We won't have as large a team as in previous years, but will be there with our usual cry of 'Beans!' and stupid humor.

We've decided to camp in the next field back as there's more space and will hopefully not annoy so many people with our crappy dance music, although our screening of BHD seemed to go well in 2011.

Looking forward to seeing any Arnies regs down there and all of you are welcome to come and say hi or shout abuse at us  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Due to my apparent syrupy sweet blood that never leaves my kit bag. ;)

So far I have:

Airsoft stuff

Eye pro + mesh lower

M4 + mags

Chestrig + hydro carrier

Pistol, holster, mags

Camping stuff

Tent

sleeping bag + mat

hexi cooker, mess tin + kettle

food cans + coffee

folding chair

head torch

spare clothes in dry bag

Due to my apparent syrupy sweet blood that never leaves my kit bag. ;)

So far I have:

Airsoft stuff

Eye pro + mesh lower

M4 + mags

Chestrig + hydro carrier

Pistol, holster, mags

Camping stuff

Tent

sleeping bag + mat

hexi cooker, mess tin + kettle

food cans + coffee

folding chair

head torch

spare clothes in dry bag

Well the obvious is ammo, gas, batteries and battery charger, but I'm guessing they are already in there, just not listed.

Maintenance kit (oil, some basic tools)

Waterproofs?

Some cheap glow-sticks are always worth it. I use them to mark guylines so I don't trip over them in the dark.

Gas never leaves the bag as it's a dinky mini can, same for my airsoft tool pouch.

Ammo I'm going to get down there to save a bit of space (I'm going on a motorbike, all this is going to be saddlebag and rack mounted)

Waterproofs I'll wear on the way there I think, save some space.

I'm pretty sure I'm well sorted, I just have that unprepared feeling.

Scott you forgot the GZ essentials Beer and Voddy :D

I'm gonna pack the tequila if there is spare room once the bike is loaded. ;)

Although without Squig to help me drink it this year, that might me a bad idea... :P

A wheelbarrow?

To carry your big brass balls into battle? :P

Oh and a kitchen sink, must not forget one of those.

'FireKnife'

Kitchen sink?

Is that what that steel thing the girlfriend uses is?   ;)

Archived