Gear for Night Games

TerranCmdr

I find it all depends on what weapon it is and how you attach the switch. I like to have the switch tucked in between 2 rails so it can't be bumped.

I did this with my M4, no accidental bumpage, and my thumb easily reached it if needed :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously considering investing in a Surefire 951 with a LaRue pressure switch rail mount.

This hobby is kinda expensive. :D

-Hawaiian

What's wrong with this one?

The way I see it, I only use my light a few times a year, why spend a fortune on it?  The one linked is great, decent build quality and does its job rather well.

What's wrong with this one?

The way I see it, I only use my light a few times a year, why spend a fortune on it?  The one linked is great, decent build quality and does its job rather well.

I go camping every month. My buddies have surefires. A surefire lifetime warranty is easily worth the extra $$$.

I would use it for camping and skirmishing :)

-Hawaiian

951 is heavy and over priced for what it is. Even with the surplus ones you can find cheaper. Had two and not worth it. Much better served with a G2, 6P, G2X, 6PX. Or if you are more budget minded the Solarforce L2. I use those because it was cheaper to buy 3 of them and they haven't failed me yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently played my first night CQB game, ranging from low light to complete darkness. I only had the LAM unit that came with my TM MK23 SOCOM, which was poor, but better than nothing. I wore trainers (sneakers for our US cousins) so I could move about quiter than wearing tac-boots....this worked well UNTIL I badly stubbed my toe in the pitch black. The SOCOM was brilliant in the dark!<br /><br />I noticed a few things that I felt I needed to do before returning :<br /><br />Decent taclight......I now have a 300 lumen Streamlight TLR-1S. Lovely bit of kit and fits both my SOCOM (attached to real steel Rhynotek rail) and backup P226.<br /><br />Tracer Units worked brilliantly in the dark (obvioulsy D'uh!) and would have been an excellent addition to my SOCOM, to reduce hit-dodging and see where my BB's were actually impacting. I'll lose the quietness of the TM silencer, but I think it'll be worth it.<br /><br />Wear dark clothing/tac gear to hide better in the shadows.<br /><br />Hand-held flashlight if required.<br /><br />Kneepads, because concrete floors and BB's hurt.<br /><br />As already said, no velcro mag pouches.<br /><br />Travel light and wear fabric that doesn't rustle/make a noise when you move. Also, no rattling BB bottles etc.<br /><br />

Yes, when you are checking yourself you normally do not transmit, or your radio is on your back so everything looks ok. Not a good thing to notice when you are holding your positions and enemy is approaching, and suddenly the bushes starts to blink red like a road block :D

For all of my bloody prep for night games, I have never bloody remembered my radio transmit light! 

You know, that explains quite a few hits.. thanks for this golden tip. 

In case anyone hasn't mentioned this - A whistle! And anything else that will make your whereabouts known.

Especially in night games, if you fall over, break something, get lost etc then it's incredibly hard to locate you. Having a nice strong whistle will get you noticed that much faster.

• 4 weeks later...

A penlight etc is good but like I said before you want it on your helmet, hat, or strapped to your rig. You can switch it on and still have your hands free.

I second this, although I have my torches and weapon lights, I also have a cheap, very low powered key-ring led light on my vest around my chest. It's extremely useful just for a quick search for things without drawing much attention to yourself. It can also be deceptive and make it look like a light that is further away.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this or what you plan to use as a secondary (if you're using one) but a lanyard is useful, particularly if you don't trust your holster and/or plan to get active.

Decimus.

Archived