Dehumidifier and airsoft guns

Cryptkeeper

Hi,

Guys i was wondering what you all do when you get home from a long day of airsoft on the rain... we all know that we must keep our guns clean and specially far away from water. I have been using the dehumidifier to get out any "water" left on the gun, been doing this on advice from a friend that kinda does this alot.

Is this the best solution?

Cheers

I wipe/tooth brush them down and then hit them with compressed air to blow dirt or moisture off.

When the go in the locker I toss in all the loose silica gel packs that come with virtually everything you buy these days.

I wouldn't do that to any GBB weapons (especially not the mags) but as long as they're not left in an enclosed space with the dehumidifier for months I'd say that's a good solution for drying out AEGs.

Just don't assume you're totally safe from corrosion because you do that.  Take them apart every now and again for a visual inspection just to be sure.

I struggle to understand the attitude of "well I don't bother, so neither should you".

Metals corrode, that's just a fact.  Airsoft guns are generally a bit more resilient to it than RS (purely due to using far less steel in most cases) but that's no reason to say people who put a some effort in to looking after their RIFs are doing anything wrong.

If some of you guys out there don't want to put the time in to doing that, then that's perfectly fine.  It's your gear do with with it as you choose.

I clean them externally, I've never felt the need to strip them, nor have I found ANY signs of internal corrosion due to water penetration, I've been using AEG longer than some players have been living in a very wet climate with no issues, are some of you swimminng with your kit :P

Dehumidifiers aren't really proximity sensitive (owing to diffusion) and will only work more rapidly than evaporation if you put them in a fairly confined space with the gun. Like the others have said, for GBBs this is definitely a bad idea - the seals will dry out and fail. As for AEGs, I don't see a particular problem - hop rubbers are usually moulded silicone, so I don't see them 'drying out' - but you'd be much better off with a quick strip, dry (with a lint-free cloth), and wipedown with appropriate lubricant.

Archived