Project Landed Gentry (Jeeves! Fetch my tweed jacket!)

Tinkerton

Here be my entry for the first inaugural Arnies Custom Build Competition.

What Airsoft has been missing recently, amid the myriad KRISS's, and PDW's, and fantastic skirmish weapons like the UAR has promise to be, is a choice of weapon for the more discerning gentleman.

A weapon for someone who has people to do that for him.

A weapon for someone who is driven to skirmish sites, rather than drives himself.

Ladies and mentlegen, what airsoft is missing, is a proper shotgun.

And, as a teaser, here are the first couple of images of Project Landed Gentry.

2013-02-11_20h05_41_zpsda7855ec.jpg

First we have the basic sketch of how i'm hoping the trigger system will work. two triggers, each pushing an individual firing pin / striker. Hopefully these will be spring tensioned so that they self reset.

2013-02-11_20h07_45_zps36b709b9.jpg

Here is pretty much the final shape of the double barrel system, I'll get two of the correct sized pipes, grind a small 'flat' on each of them, knock up a rough clamping system to hold them in the correct position and then ask someone very nicely to weld them together for me. 

The lug on the bottom (top here) will be welded on afterwards.

2013-02-11_20h08_11_zpsecc226bc.jpg

Here is a rough, single barrel, proof of concept / prototype sketch which i will attempt to make firsts, in order to be sure that both all the materials work well together, all my measurements work out and that finger pressure can actually fire the shells i've got.

I've got the shells, i'm now just waiting on a delivery of potential barrel pipe to arrive, at which point i'll make sure that its the right dimensions, and then i will make a rough trigger system to make sure that it works.

Then, once the single barrel system works, i'll start on the double barrel mechanics.

I've had an interesting idea with regards to the barrel locking / release mechanism, which i'll post once i've had a play and make sure it works as intended.

With regards to materials, everything that can be steel, will be steel. The stock, grip and foregrip will be from an as yet undecided type of wood. Most likely pine due to cost, but if i get the chance i'll try and find some nice walnut or oak to make it from. 

Updates as and when i can manage them, but i'm about to move house and sadly my new place doesnt have a man cave like my current house. sadface.

Oh! Just as an aside, yes i've used a CAD programme, but sadly i dont have any CAM machinery, so i'll be using CAD in order get accurate measurements and prototype stuff in my head without having to commit time and materials to it.

So, thoughts?

I've been wanting to make an U/O shotgun for YEARS but never had the skill. I was planning on using a GBB pistol magazine inside the reciever and use maruzen shotgun shells (or even not use shells and break open the barrel and reload with a speedloader, because I'm milsim like that)

Regardless of my dislike for everything shell ejecting and particularly the gas-in-shell that I've never got on with, this is awesome and you should feel awesome!

Initially it will be built to use the tanaka / airsoft surgeon / madbull shells (airsoft surgeon, as they're what i've got) but if the concept works then it should scale up to 40mm quite nicely...

Renegadecow : cheers for the input, as i said the single barrel mech is just a rough prototype in my head, mainly to make sure that the length of trigger bar etc can exert enough force to fire the shells. All input is gratefully received!

Bigal: o thought about a side by side but various people have done them before, and i wanted the challenge of something without any plans or guides.

Don't most U/O shotguns use a single trigger? I've been shown round one or two and they had a single trigger with provission to select which barrell it fired first. Don't get me wrong, I realise this would be a cowson to fabricate as would internal hammers cocked by breaking the barrell, but it would be super motherflippin cool. How complicated these are internally I have no idea as I've only ever stripped a side by side with double triggers but surely exploded diagrams/manuals are available online? What with these being one of the few types of firearm the government will allow us to play with without signing up for getting shot back at first. ^_^

Yup my one has a single trigger. Makes em 'Semi Automatic'

Trigger pull, all resets, fires next barrel. Can choose which barrel is fired first too (top/bottom/bottom/top) depending on your shooting pref.

Personally never seen a dual trigger O&U only side by sides..

None the less still a good project, though if you could get it running a single trigger then that would be a massive plus!

There are U/Os that use double triggers, but most have just one and most fire the top barrel first without provision for selecting barrels. (In my experiance)

As with all technology, If you can imagine it, someones tried it, what becomes common is just what is common, not even the best in all cases.

My (abandoned) design was to use a single trigger with two stages, rather than a reset and second pull.

I don't want to be 'that guy', but when discussing precharged shotgun shells (i.e., shells that contain their own gas and BB) I should point out that:

5. Weapons subject to general prohibition.

(1) A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998), he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers—

(af) any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system;

Now, obviously what you will be making will not be an air rifle as long as you keep it below the relevant energy limit, but be aware. The self-contained cartridge system guns targeted by this legislation (Brocock ACS) are so illegal that even if you lawfully owned one prior to the enactment of the provision, you had to have it put onto a FAC and even once you'd done that, it could never be transferred - even to another FAC. Once the owner of the FAC dies, that gun has to be destroyed.

Anyway, boring legalities aside, this looks awesome. O/U gets my vote for style.

AFAIK, Cassiopeia shells use the same system as precharged shotshells (being reloaded with liquid gas from a canister). The closest airsoft analogue of BACS (hand-pumped compressed air) was Asahi's M40, which is a shame because that was probably the best airsoft rifle ever made. Both the M40 and Cassiopeia guns were banned in Japan and any extant examples the Government could locate were destroyed.

In terms of ownership in the UK, you're not in trouble until the gun goes from being a RIF to an airgun by virtue of its power level, but that power level is disputed. I wouldn't want to defend my ownership of a Cassiopeia running above say 375fps in court, that's for sure.

So more UK 'Grey Areas' then...

Ive allways thought the UK Firearms 'system' needs a massive overhaul, though doubt it will ever happen.........

None the less we have taken you off topic..

Tink - Did you think of using Ali for the barrels instead of plastic? Might be a little nicer..

I don't want to be 'that guy', but when discussing precharged shotgun shells (i.e., shells that contain their own gas and BB) I should point out that:

Now, obviously what you will be making will not be an air rifle as long as you keep it below the relevant energy limit, but be aware. The self-contained cartridge system guns targeted by this legislation (Brocock ACS) are so illegal that even if you lawfully owned one prior to the enactment of the provision, you had to have it put onto a FAC and even once you'd done that, it could never be transferred - even to another FAC. Once the owner of the FAC dies, that gun has to be destroyed.

Anyway, boring legalities aside, this looks awesome. O/U gets my vote for style.

AFAIK, Cassiopeia shells use the same system as precharged shotshells (being reloaded with liquid gas from a canister). The closest airsoft analogue of BACS (hand-pumped compressed air) was Asahi's M40, which is a shame because that was probably the best airsoft rifle ever made. Both the M40 and Cassiopeia guns were banned in Japan and any extant examples the Government could locate were destroyed.

In terms of ownership in the UK, you're not in trouble until the gun goes from being a RIF to an airgun by virtue of its power level, but that power level is disputed. I wouldn't want to defend my ownership of a Cassiopeia running above say 375fps in court, that's for sure.

i think the cassopiea shells are somehow classified differently since tanaka and WA shan's self contained gas shells haven't had any legal trouble that i'm aware of, and the tanaka shotguns have been around ages now. moscarts are fine too, even the madbull one that you can charge with CO2 and fire anything you can squeeze into it  :fear2:

back on topic though, looks like an interesting project. i'm guessing from the title that you're going for long barrel and full stock, shame really as sawn off O/Us look mean as hell!

Yeah, the whole problem with the cassiopea system was that it was a hammer and firing pin setting off an internally pressurised cartridge, I believe in the UK such air weapons were banned after the whole brocock pistol thing as they were fairly easy to turn into a .22 rimfire pistol. With something like the tanaka shells or a moscart it's a direct pressure system that pushes a valve so it couldn't be turned into a hammer and firing pin system.

I think the trouble with the Cassiopeia shells where that the hammer hit them with some force, where as moscarts HS ECT is more of a poke

This.

The reason why we still have moscarts in the UK is because the "firing pin" doesn't "hit" the striker on the shell, it pushes it. Something like a Caseopia system, where the shell is hit, makes it illegal in the UK

This.

The reason why we still have moscarts in the UK is because the "firing pin" doesn't "hit" the striker on the shell, it pushes it. Something like a Caseopia system, where the shell is hit, makes it illegal in the UK

guessing it's the same with tanaka and WA shan shells then?

Archived