Marushin M1 Carbine CDX

Marushin M1 Carbine CDX

DSC_0112_zps334585c0.jpgBackground:

The M1 Carbine is a lightweight gas operated rifle. Designed shortly before the outbreak of WWII, it was the most heavily produced American small arm until the M16 superseded it. The Carbine fires a .30 caliber, 110gr round nosed bullet. As a weapon designed for rear-echelon and support personnel, it lacks the punch of the larger M1 rifle. However, it is light (5.8lbs loaded w/ sling), handy and very easy to shoot.

Give Me an Airsoft M1!

The M1 Carbine is a difficult subject for airsoft manufacturers because of its tiny dimensions. The entire weapon is only 35.6 inches long, with the receiver being an extremely slim piece. This precludes a gearbox from being fitted within true-scale dimensions. Marushin took the more practical route of using gas (typically duster gas) in a series of straight-pull (bolt action essentially) and gas blowback (autoloading) models chambered in both 6mm and 8mm. The gas blowback (GBB) models typically suffered from severe reliability and accuracy problems. Any attempt to use green gas in the Carbine typically resulted in cracked pieces.

Marushin recently released a CO2 powered Carbine. I was a bit skeptical, considering my old Marushin M1 Garand was an absolutely terrible piece of machinery. If the previous guns couldn’t run properly on duster gas, how would they perform on the strongest airsoft propellant?

Thankfully, Marushin designed this little gun very well and used steel (that’s a first!) where needed.

Initial Impressions:

My Carbine came to me lightly used in a trade. The gun represents a late-production M1 with the round bolt, slide sight, lever type safety, type 3 barrel band, bayonet lug, and potbelly stock. While not correct for WWII, most of these “issues” can be easily corrected with real replacements. I’m not too concerned as I’m happy to just have a working M1.

The gun is a fair bit lighter than my real Carbines, but the magazine has plenty of heft and makes up for this somewhat. The wood is an annoyingly orange shade completely unbefitting of an American rifle, but that can be fixed/forgiven. Overall, the gun doesn’t creak and is very solid.

Externals:

Most parts are some sort of metal (not steel), with the exception being a plastic rear sight. The construction and finishing are very good for an airsoft replica.

DSC_0101_zpsf5a55505.jpg

DSC_0102_zps86283c1e.jpg

The receiver features realistic markings at the front of the receiver and has Marushin markings at the rear near the rear sight.

DSC_0103_zpse9ecd295.jpg

DSC_0103_zpse9ecd295.jpg

The wood is pine or birch with an obnoxious stain that will have to be re-done to imitate proper American Walnut. USGI stocks are supposed to be a darker shade that comes from linseed oil soaking. The magazine is larger and heavier than a real-steel 15rd USGI magazine. This is necessary in order to accommodate a CO2 cartridge and 15 6mm BBs.

DSC_0097_zpsd608a67c.jpg

Internals:

The Carbine strips down more or less like the real deal. The major exception is a single screw that holds the action into the stock. I’ve provided a photo of my Howa M1 Carbine sitting above the Marushin gun for comparison. This replica is more or less a pretty realistic recreation of the real mechanism while making necessary modifications for airsoft functionality.

DSC_0099_zpsddee2158.jpg

DSC_0096_zps92f7e66f.jpg

DSC_0094_zpsd4d8fa13.jpg

The slide and fire control group (the parts that wear down usually) are made of steel, which is a welcome relief from typical Marushin pot-metal. The loading nozzle is made of polymer, which is actually a good thing. Unlike the older Garand, the nozzle/bolt and bolt carrier are connected via a spring, which provides better performance. I know from my experience with Western Arms system M4 GBB rifles that polymer nozzles cope better with cool down and crack less often than aluminum nozzles.

DSC_0095_zps34858be1.jpg

The striker pin is similar to that of a WE M14 in that it hinges upward when the hammer is forward. This allows you to insert a magazine even if the rifle is not cocked. This is a deficiency that other gas rifles have had.

So far, Marushin seems to have done a great job. Their replica is obviously well thought out and features the right mix of features borrowed from other manufacturers.   

Performance:

Sadly, I haven’t gotten to actually test this rifle outside so I can’t comment on hop-up or accuracy. I do know that it fires at roughly 400-440fps w/ .2g BBs. With .25g BBs it easily penetrates the sides and bottom of a Coke can and will severely dent the top. This rifle is no slouch!

The recoil is light but crisp. Marushin avoided the mistake of trying to give it too much recoil, which would have resulted in excessive wear and tear. The bolt cycles smoothly with a moderate bang every time. It is not as loud as the GBB M4s I owned and nowhere close to being as loud as the WE M14. There is just enough feedback to remind you that this gun isn’t an AEG.

Preliminary Conclusion:

Marushin did a damn fine job in creating a nice little M1 Carbine replica that is mostly true to the real deal.

DSC_0113_zpsd3b69eb6.jpg

Edited by tinydata

Four hundred bucks before shipping. Why did it have to be so nice and why am I having stupid ideas about trying to turn it into a Walther WA2000? If the Ares one wasn't so obscenely expensive (and, also, out of stock), I would even think about gutting it and putting M1's action inside. I mean, this thing is already built like a brick outhouse, puts out roughly 440 fps and isn't terribly bothered about cold.

I think Marushin's previous offerings scared people away from this Carbine. I was more than a little skeptical when I first heard of it. The prospect of more decent Marushin products is terrifying for wallets :D

The action is a little bit fatter at the bottom. I think a dremel could probably do the work necessary to fit the action into a para stock.