How do you clean your kit?

Tw1tch

On my last night game, I found a perfect spot for over watch/sniping from, and spent around 3 hours lying in it.

Got up, found that I had shared it with a cow pat, so I dropped my belt kit in the nearest river and kicked it around for 10 minutes when endex was called...!

For clothes, washing machine, kit, unles above, let it dry then brush any mud off :)

Honestly, I wouldn't know - detergent isn't my strong side ;)

The first time I washed mine they lost their shine, but there was no actual color loss, just got a bit more matte.

I've been wearing these clothes more than every other weekend like most airsofters though, so I'm rather dependent on getting it proper clean, not just clean-looking.

Polish and clean my boots after every use . The wax / boot polish is what keeps the leather waterproof ,same with the canvas bits , always spray with a water repellant to stop it rotting .

Always wash my kit after use. Standard hygiene dictates that .. If your kit is prone to colour runs or fade . Use a detergent designed for colours as it contains less bleach in it . If its black use a few spoons of coffee granules and it will come up like new , a couple of spoons if salt will stop colour runs as well , or stain devils do a colour locking additive for your washing needs .

Look after your kit and it will look after you !

I've found that machine washing with ANY kind of detergent fades camos, so  I don't use detergent when I wash them. Normal clothes = machine wash with detergent obviously.

Load bearing gear tends to get left to dry out then brushed with a stiff brush, NOT a wire brush. Unless, of course, you really want furry tactical gear :P

Put your sodding uniforms in with the rest of your clothes and get them clean.

Reading the washing instructions on clothing isn't rocket surgery.

What's with people giving advice like if they were drill sargeants?

Hand washing is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting views on here! As an ex soldier of 12 years I suggest washing your clothing, as soldiers do, it's not good to be a minging creature of darkness! Faded combats used to be what the guys liked anyway, I know when I was in every time someone used to get a new set of combats issued they'd be washed straight away to get rid of that shiny new kit look!

As for load carrying etc, just hose it down if it is mega muddy to a point where the mud is altering the colour. If it's not that bad then just brush it when dry. The important areas to clean and check for serviceability are buckles and closures etc, velcro (doesn't work so well when its covered in mud!), and the insides of your pouches, It's no good spending time cleaning your magazines only to put them back into a dirty ammo pouch!! In 12 years service I think I only hosed down my PLCE  belt kit a few times, most of the time just a light brush did the trick, and obviously as I've already stated, always checking the closures and buckles etc is a must.

• 3 weeks later...

I stick most stuff in the wash, like DPM's, softshell, even pouches if there well nasty and stuff, normally on low and then hang it on the washing line to dry.

My russian gorka and sumrak sniper suit get hand washed, as i dont want them fading as they are expensive and a bit collectible.

other kit like webbing and guns gets brushed down.

I can say wash the cammies inside out and if you have multiple sets of the same pattern mark the top and bottom that you will wash together so they fade evenly. Fading WILL happen get used to it, get over it, I know it sucks because you paid for that stuff and it wasn't issued but that is the nature of the beast. Something I can say for certain is try and avoid any soaps with optical brighteners. This is mainly for the IR properties in the fabric but there is a direct link to these detergents degrading the color fastness of the fabric as well. I am not sure what you have in the UK but in the US I use ALL free and clear it is the only fully DOD approved detergent that is COTS for washing all military uniforms in particular near IR and IR compliant combats. 

As for kit...like many have said I don't really bother for the most part it will get wet eventually anyway if it is REALLY bad I might take a garden hose to it and or a brush. Usually a large industrial brush like the pic that was posted already. A lot of my kit from Iraq still has an odor to it much like my Hockey equipment does..just makes it more authentic ;) Then there is the 9th Warrior commandment from CSM(RET) John "Shrek" McPhee which I assume is somewhat tongue in cheek but hey it works for a CAG guy sooo....

"IX. NEVER WASH YOUR ARMOR

Savages always smell like scum. They will always bring their families to a gun fight. This includes babies and small children. If you don’t wash your clothes, you will smell like a savage, and if handling savage babies they will not cry. Babies use smell to identify who you are, friend or foe, so smell like a savage."

Archived