Marushin Mateba X Cartridge

renegadecow

Being the last revolver Marushin produced before they introduced the X Cartridge, they've finally gone full circle and made an X Cartridge version of it as well. Having owned the original version for quite some time now, I've always hoped they would update this model as it was severely plagued with technical/design problems which I had to correct even down to making my own shells for it out of real steel brass. Hopefully they've addressed some of the issues and the new design should help performance up too. The only problem is they've kept with the 8mm chambering; so when you put an 8mm bb into a 9mm X Cartridge, you get a really, REALLY fat slug that puts semi-wadcutters to shame. They're cheaper now than the original release for some reason by about $50 for both plastic and wood grip models, but I don't see any mention of the dummy 9mm tracer round being included so I guess that really was intended as a limited item.

http://marushin-kk.co.jp/itemmatebarevolversxcart.html

matebale.jpg

matebaxcartbk.jpg

The thing I noticed about the x-cart series is that with the cartridges being heavier it puts more stress on the hand and handspring, agravating the cylinder timing problems....

Still, it's nice for marushin to re-release their mateba. Now I want a S&W 627.

RGC are the X-Cartridge version revolvers much better than the older models? I have an older Colt Anaconda 4" that works pretty well IMO (besides arriving with a broken part, and, now, with a damaged cylinder part, refuses to work SA).

I don't think they changed much besides the cartridge design and the tolerances of the forcing cone. As far as I can tell from the manual and parts list, the only thing they added was a 2nd pin to the gas output system (which adds *fruitcage* all..).

They also probably changed the strength of the hand spring to compensate for heavier cartridges.

Mine (x-cart ver.) can still be fired fine despite missing the hand spring and trigger spring (snapped within 1000 shots , sadly..)

RGC are the X-Cartridge version revolvers much better than the older models?

Kinda depends on the model. For the most part what the X cartridge does other than add weight and look cool is it puts the loaded bb right at the tip of the slug. Ultimately this makes precision better as the bb jumps the cylinder gap as it only begins to accelerate compared to when the bb sits in the middle. The problem with the latter is if you have cylinder timing problems, the bb will nick the edge of the forcing cone or inner barrel causing side spin and throw shots off. There are however X Cartridge bullets that still have the loaded bb sit in the middle (8mm S&W M36 and Nambu M60 police revolver) and have little improvement over their original counterpart. Judging by how thin the slug wall is though, I'm guessing the Mateba will have the bb chambered in the middle. :unsure:

Damn it, this talk of Marushin X-Cartridge revolvrs reminds me that I still don't have the M36 in 2inch with a 6mm chambering damn it :P.

When I have an indoor site to play on I will look at these ;).

'FireKnife'

Off topic but my friend just picked one up. It is a really fun gun. Kinda wish I bought one.

Archived