NAE Tech Challenge

Kenworth W900

I was browsing the wealth of youtube airsoft vids earlier on and stumbled upon the

. This set off a long thought process culminating in the following idea:

What if we organised our very own 'top tech' challenge down at the National Airsoft Event this year? Obviously, there are many things to consider to organise it properly but i reckon it could work really well. For example:

1. We arrange between 2-5 contestants - experienced airsoft techy whizzkids
  2. We also arrange a few camera guys to film it all and put together a YouTube video of the challenge
  3. The contestants come together at the event - I am taking my workshop tent down, it could be held in there
  4. There is a set budget, say £150 - the contestants use their budget to buy a second hand weapon and parts
  5. A time limit is applied, say 2 or 3 hours - including a break perhaps
  6. The completed weapons are judged - on factors such as range, accuracy, style, quality, etc by independent judges
  7. The scores are tallied and a winner is declared - using a scoreboard like on topgear

What do you guys reckon?

Point taken - but it matters not.

The point of the challenge would be to find the best tech on the day, so in a way everyone will 'wannabee' the best tech there.

If there are techs which are better than those who compete, then I guess its their own fault for not volunteering.

Maybe another idea would to bring a few problem guns in and see how well they diagnose the faults and cures for them . Or buy them all identical guns and see who builds the best gun out of them all .

Well, I had considered this already. That's one of the big decisions, which I referred to, that would have to be made. I feel that it's something which would be decided upon once the contenders were arranged. As we could just discuss what sounds best.

The aspect of curing the guns would be somewhat inherent within plans to use second hand guns. Since, with small budgets, spent on weapons we've never encountered before, one has to assume there would be some problems to overcome.

'Make the most of a G&G CM16'

That's precisely what I had in mind if we did use identical starting points :)

*fruitcage* me!

I'm putting myself forward for this tech challenge so I take it as a personal attack that you would suggest that, you sadist :P

I've had to work on my mates Ares TAVOR in the past, damn near killed me. It was the first time I've actually just *fruitcage* ing lost it :angry: - I apologise for the use of expletives, the mention of TARs does that to me, like its on tap.

Anywho, yeah, that really would be a challenge.

They seem to have that effect on even the sanest .most Skilled , and easygoing people ,

You could make a bottle of Prozac and Valium first prize for the poor souls ..and a sledgehammer the runner up prizes so they can smash theirs to bits in frustration !!!

Well, as it happens, I'm contact with 'H' who's in charge of the NAE. I have mentioned that I would like to organise a contest in the Workshop tent. Although I will admit that I haven't yet asked about a 'tech challenge' specifically. But that's because I'm just throwing ideas out there atm for this.

I can see this going well right up until you find that short of using it as free advertising most professional techs won't do attend. They will either work for a retailer (we all know how much Z1 loves other retailers :-P) or work for a skirmish site and will most likely be there on a game weekend. I know there are plenty of techs out there without such ties but like it's been said before, they tend to have a large workload and work normal jobs as well as the tech work.

Just my 2p

I'm not trying to slap you down mate :) I like the idea and would join in, but I'm unsure it would be a good idea to associate with a retailer/site to closely. Especially a juggernaut one like them. Again it's only my opinion and I won't push it any further for the sake of courtesy.

Ta

K_K

What do you mean by associated with Zero One, KKid?

I'm happy to heed to all advice. I feel that this idea would remain fairly informal even when put into action. Basically, in my head I'm seeing:

1. Four or five techy guys meeting up at the NAE.

2. We each spend our own money on some beaten up 2nd hand weapons.

3. We do them up in a limited time on a limited budget.

4. Some hilarity and gags ensue. Some helpful techy tips and pointers are stated.

5. We present the results, the guns are tested and independently judged, a small prize is awarded.

6. Two or three other guys with an airsoft related channel volunteer to film all this and use the content for a YouTube entry.

7. Everyone involved gets to know eachother better and we share a drink in the Workshop Tent later that evening.

8. 'H' agrees to all of the above because it mentions no other competition and adds another video of the NAE onto YouTube.

Real skill of a techy is not only measured by the ability to make things work, but to optimise what is possible given the limited resources available, to make it last, and make it field worthy.

There should be ample time but not forever, and you can use limited contest credits instead of real cash for the competition.

But the most important thing is the version of gun you would have to work on, is consistently bad.  The Ares Tavor is a classic, so is the Ares M14s.

A lot of the best techs are associated with opposing retailers to z one . And with their communist china outlook on any other Airsoft gun buying source , or the people associated with these other sources . I think you may end up having issues with z one .

Even a post on their website mentioning a manufacturer or service they don't have control of will earn you a ban ,

So on an open day I can sense a lot of feelings would run high . Especialy due to them lying in bed with cybergun , so to speak .

I may be totally wrong . But I don't think so .

I've had to work on my mates Ares TAVOR in the past, damn near killed me. It was the first time I've actually just *fruitcage* ing lost it  :angry: - I apologise for the use of expletives, the mention of TARs does that to me, like its on tap.

Anywho, yeah, that really would be a challenge.

*shrug* I've worked on three or four Ares Tavors now, after figuring out how to work on them they've not been a problem. They only take about five minutes longer to disassemble than say, an AK or something like that.

Tokyo Marui SIG552 gets a "shudder" from me.

LOL I worked on a number of Tavors too, its not that bad really, especially after I modded it for quick take down.  Tuning doesn't take that much time (so long a new motor is installed), but its the modding of the semi-auto levers, the rebalancing of the weapon (its much too rear heavy) and the accuracy modifications (Ares hop up is a bit poos) which amounts to the time.

I actually like the SIG 552, its relatively simple to work on and dead accurate/reliable once tuned.  I once installed an M150 onto the 552

The hardest one I find is the KSC HK33.  All the levers and gears it really messes with my head.

*shrug* I've worked on three or four Ares Tavors now, after figuring out how to work on them they've not been a problem. They only take about five minutes longer to disassemble than say, an AK or something like that.

Tokyo Marui SIG552 gets a "shudder" from me.

LOL I worked on a number of Tavors too, its not that bad really, especially after I modded it for quick take down.  Tuning doesn't take that much time (so long a new motor is installed), but its the modding of the semi-auto levers, the rebalancing of the weapon (its much too rear heavy) and the accuracy modifications (Ares hop up is a bit poos) which amounts to the time.

I actually like the SIG 552, its relatively simple to work on and dead accurate/reliable once tuned.  I once installed an M150 onto the 552

The hardest one I find is the KSC HK33.  All the levers and gears it really messes with my head.

Looks like we have our first pair of contestants...

LOL

No thank you, years of working on this stuff and on real steel does your head in. 

Particularly when you have a one of a kind hop unit (i.e. inokatsu M240B), that doesn't seal air 100% no matter what barrel or hop rubbers you tried to mix and match.  Spent like 2 days 8hrs each just testing hop rubbers and barrel combinations.  When its that fickle and the the micrometer variation in barrel/rubber/hop unit  will determine your success or failure, then the competition is more a luck of the draw.

Same with real steel.  I worked on a 16" AR15 with a 1ft wide split group at 50m from factory using 62gr, turns out the barrel has visible microscopic bubbling of the inner rifling possibly from a bad rifling process.  Tried everything to rid the bubbling from chemical baths, scrubs, repolishing and scraping, to no avail.  It makes no sense that such small issues is causing the rifle to shoot less accurate than my airsoft gun at that range.

I must admit, the last time I disassembled a Marui 552 was back in 2006! Fortunately I've never had to work on a KSC HK33, and by the way things have gone, it's likely that I never will have to either!

I know what you mean about the tiniest things having bizzare effects though. Just this evening I was upgrading my G&G UMG with a new motor and a nice rewire (16AWG silicone, nice stuff). The gearbox was running brilliantly out of the lower, but as soon as I put it in, the gun sputtered and died inexplicably. Eventually, I tracked the issue down to, and this still makes no sense to me, the inner walls of the pistol grip were pushing the motor-connection terminals that were bulging more than normal due to the thicker wires inwards, and this was causing the motor to loose electrical contact, I suspect that it was causing the brushing-springs to be pushed out of place, but I'll be ****ed if I can figure out how or why.

Either way, I soldered the wires on to the brush-housing itself (systema PTW style) and all's well :D

Looks like we have our first pair of contestants...

Ahaha, you're very kind!

Archived