Magpul EMag Feeding

JamesKACF

I was just wondering if anyone has had any feeding problems with the magpul pts emags?

I used them in a G&G CM on Sunday and had serious issues with the feeding, the hop up was fairly busted on it though so I'm not sure if that was part of the problem, however when I used some STANAG mags they feed much better.

Also special interest if anyone has used them with a G&G top tech T418 as I will be getting one and would like to know if I need new mags.

Thanks 

In general I'd say I've found the genuine Magpul mags (*not* the Green Label) some of the best-feeding and universally-working mags I own.  I've definitely used them in G&G products.  That being said, there is always room for some non-compatibility.  I'd look very carefully at the fit of the Magpul in the magwell, first in terms of how high it sits in it and if it engages the feeder tube just right, and then in terms of fore-after, left-right.

I've got a box of green label PMags and for the most part they have been just fine in a G&G SCAR. That said, one of them has died after heavy use - the spring follower was jammed deep within the feedtube. The mags don't break apart cleanly so it's a one way trip to open them up unless you care to bodge them together again. 

Prior to that, they all fed just fine - though they are on the cheap side of magazines (£6-7 each depending on where you look) so take their longevity into account depending on how heavily you use them! 

Also, on PTS mags - yes, love them! Much more expensive, but it shows. The fit on base plates, materials and included dust cover all worth the extra spend versus the green label versions.

Thanks FTZ-WildeCard, put my mind at rest a little. Hopefully they will feed better in my HK416 when I get it.

If not I hear electrical tape is the duct tape of the airsoft world!

I was thinking of buying a PTS 120rd EMag and doing a comparison, they all seem to be around £20 plus postage though.

Not a problem!

Coincidentally, when I had the Green Label PMAG failure I bought an PTS Emag to replace it. Additionally I've been using PTS LR 20 mags for my SR25 since I've had it and they've been flawless. I would go as far as to say they actually work better than the supplied G&G Midcap that came with my SR25 and I prefer their looks, too!

with green label mags i have found that most guns deal better with them if you stick a slither of plastic in the rear of the magwell (i use a bit f black dvd case)

Circled in yellow

this doesn't interfere with any other mags i have tried in this gun and a few others i have seem with this fix in them.

Emags are far too pretty to give up on just yet but I have a feeling I might end up with metal mags at this rate. :'(

with green label mags i have found that most guns deal better with them if you stick a slither of plastic in the rear of the magwell (i use a bit f black dvd case)

It seems that the problem is the fit of the mag in the magazine housing, the fact that they don't line up properly and the mag needs to be pushed forward, which as far as I can tell is what your fix is doing.

The easy fix I've seen was to wrap a few layers of Electrical tape around the upper part of the magazine (between the two yellow lines).

post-88992-0-19624400-1361817503_thumb.png

Only time will tell if this really works though, otherwise its ebay for them and I'll build up a proper magpul Emag collection.

Thanks FTZ-WildeCard, put my mind at rest a little. Hopefully they will feed better in my HK416 when I get it.

If not I hear electrical tape is the duct tape of the airsoft world!

I was thinking of buying a PTS 120rd EMag and doing a comparison, they all seem to be around £20 plus postage though.

Just letting you know, P-MAGs and E-MAGs will not fit into a G&G T4-18 (and, presumably, most other HK416 replicas on the market) due to the different design of Magazine-well. If you look, you will see that the magazine well on the T4-18/HK416 is significantly less angled, which blocks the bump/ridge on the front of the P-MAG/E-MAG meaning that the magazine cannot be inserted fully. They will not lock or feed, unfortunately.

It is possible, albeit somewhat difficult, to modify the inside of the magazine well to allow P-MAGs to fit. I recommend a rotary tool, and Dremel High Speed Cutter 7,8 mm (tool number 115). Be careful when you do it, you can easily cut through the magazine well leaving a hole, and I like to fill the magazine well with tissue/kitchen roll to stop the vast quantities of aluminium shavings from getting into the gearbox/blowback.

This will void your warranty, of course.

Just letting you know, P-MAGs and E-MAGs will not fit into a G&G T4-18 (and, presumably, most other HK416 replicas on the market) due to the different design of Magazine-well. If you look, you will see that the magazine well on the T4-18/HK416 is significantly less angled, which blocks the bump/ridge on the front of the P-MAG/E-MAG meaning that the magazine cannot be inserted fully. They will not lock or feed, unfortunately.just letting you know, P-MAGs and E-MAGs will not fit into a G&G T4-18 (and, presumably, most other HK416 replicas on the market) due to the different design of Magazine-well. If you look, you will see that the magazine well on the T4-18/HK416 is significantly less angled, which blocks the bump/ridge on the front of the P-MAG/E-MAG meaning that the magazine cannot be inserted fully. They will not lock or feed, unfortunately.

I was under the impression that was the whole point of the EMags existance, "Export magazine", being able to fit in European weapons such as SCAR, SA80, HK416 etc, The airsoft versions being based on the real steel after all.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG241/PMAG

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/magpul-pts-emag-120rd-bb-mag-black-product,14034,3

The Emags have a smooth finish and are differently shaped at the point they are inserted into the magazine housing.

It seems that the problem is the fit of the mag in the magazine housing, the fact that they don't line up properly and the mag needs to be pushed forward, which as far as I can tell is what your fix is doing.

Yep thats exactly the idea the other thing i do is shave the TINIEST amount off the BB retainer as well. Not too much or it will spew bbs all over the place but sub 0.25mm is enough to make feeding run better.

Just an update,

Put two layers of electric tape around the top of my Cheap EMags and they seem to feed perfectly in my M4, I also bought a PTS Emag 120 and that feeds perfectly without any tape. 

this is a great fix if your too scared to go round glueing bits of plastic in your magazine housing (like me)

So, so long as your willing to wrap to elecy tape round them, the green label EMags are a good bulk buy (and the tape helps with kit recognition if you like to drop them on the floor, i.e I used red tape).

I wouldn't buy them individually though.

Good to know, now I'm looking at that as well as the G&G 416.

Although the SCAR has a shorter barrel doesn't it?

ARRRGHH! So many choices!

The velcro seems like a good idea, I think it would have more tolerance between different magazine housings than the less squishy tape. I'll give it a try see which I prefer, thanks for the tip.

Mine at least was a CQC version with a short barrel - I've not seen standard length G&G SCARs in stock anywhere, but G&G does make a standard length barrel. Perhaps at some point they wanted to sell one (you can see the non-released SCAR-H with a standard length barrel for instance) but I think CyberGun probably killed those ideas off sharpish.

Funnily enough, my SCAR is at the shop currently having some work done to convert it to a standard length SCAR. :)

The G&G T418 (their take on the 416) was also one of my first choices, you'll be pleased to hear it is available in standard length and CQC length (look up the G&G T418 Light). ;-) 

Archived