Saving drafts offline

I think I've run in to this before when writing reviews, but it seems to be more pronounced now.

I'm about 1/3 the way through wiring the OP for a new thread.  The post contains formatted text in various fashions, lists, picture, hyperlinks and video.  Since it's something I take a few days to do, I copy and save the raw BBCode in to a document and save it on my desktop, then paste back in to the board thread to continue writing.

Issue is, when I flick the light switch in the corner or click preview, the formatting ends up being all kinds of wrecked.  It depends which viewing mode I'm in when to start with when I switch the mode as to what gets broken.  In one mode, all my photobucket links are swapped form correct picture links with tags to generic links to a whole album which don't function correctly.  In the other mode, when I switch, all the text which has been changed for size, made bold, put in to a list etc is changed back to bog standard size 14 plain lettering, leaving a lot of the BBCode on display.

Am I doing it wrong?

Did a bit more experimenting.

There's all sorts going on with the formatting of text when you paste in BBCode and switch between display modes/hit preview, too much to really ascertain exactly what's happening.  What I did nail down is that if there's a space in an image link (at least with photobucket) then it breaks when you switch modes/preview the post.  You have to have (for some reason??) have 'percenttwenty' (the actual characters, but if you type those they disappear when you post them) filling in any gaps and the board software often doesn't put them in there automatically.

Also, even when an image code line you've posted in is perfectly correct, if you switch modes from Code to MS Word style and then back again all of the pbukcet links get changed.  Can't remember what to exactly, either generic ones for the album which contains the image in question or to the entire pbucket account for that user.  But broken either way, just from switching modes.

Edited by CKinnerley