Transforming a Walther SG9000 into a M1014

nieb15

Introduction

Hello and welcome to the first project brought to you by what I would like to call Jim's Armory (a working name, there is a story behind it). I am "Jim" and I will be your host as we travel down a road often riddled with the potholes and rockslides of snags and setbacks. However we are equipped with a capable and stable vehicle, so sit back, enjoy the ride, but bear with me as this project might be a bit slow at first.

The Goal

Transplant the internals from a SG9000 into the body of a M1014

Secondary Goals

1. Attempt (if possible) to increase magazine size or modify to use TM based shotgun shells.

2. Build a adjustable pressure system to allow the shotgun to be used at fields. My local field requires all shotguns to fire under 350, even single shot guns.

3. If I can find a reliable method for transplanting the internals I would love to produce more replicas for the airsofting community.

My Plan

Acquire a Walther SG900 and disassemble/study the internals. Map out new layout in M1014 body and fit in the parts, modifying as needed.

-Best case scenario: Parts are able to fit perfectly with simple new supporting structure.

-Not as good, but still doable scenario: Parts need a rearrangement/reduction in size, but basic feeding/firing mechanisms remain in original condition.

-Frustrating, but still satisfying scenario: Firing/feeding mechanisms require extensive reduction and modifying, but do not require expensive custom parts.

Worst case scenario (or as I'll call it, the expensive scenario): Internals need to be completely redesigned, built, and tested. I am dead set to produce a proper semi auto M1014 and will attempt by any method to do so. However I have do not have a excess of funds so if I do end up going this route I do imagine it will take me a while to save up the money build the new parts.

The Community

I plan on documenting every step to make it as easy as possible for the community to offer advise and comments. I will always be open to suggestions and if you see me making a mistake/see a better route to take, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Project Progress

Checklist (based on best case scenario):

N/S = Not yet Started

- Acquire M1014 - Done

- Acquire SG9000 - In Progress

- Study Internals - N/S

- Transplant Internals - N/S

- Celebrate Success - N/S

1st Update (and so the first post is not without at least one photo). Here is the M1014 replica that will be receiving the new internals.

C51D3019-9216-43C8-94B5-859541838E97-242

A single shot shotgun clone that was put aside after new rules at my local field prevented it from being used. It was shooting ~395, so it was stored away simply because I still loved how it looked and didn't wish to part with it. But now it will be revived and how! And in the event of a catastrophic meltdown at least it will have died a noble death and not wasted away buried in the closet.

that shotgun you have, it is a cheapo or is it one of those echo-1 ATS shotguns? if it is an ATS, its actually a CAW which isnt a clone.

i have an SG9000 and was going to do something similar (i was going to make a KSG though)

the internals are confusing and i cannot get the gun back together let alone transplant anything to another body and im usually good at that kind of stuff, so good luck.

the SG9000 loads bbs from the side. it has a reciever mounted magazine and the loading system is essentially a shelf that moves over to pick up some BBs and moves back (during the trigger pull) to fire. the gas inlet is in the exact position the magazine tube is in and the internals are mostly 1 piece of cast alluminum.

i dont think its possible, but i didnt put too much thought to it.

I've been after a true semi auto, non-rubish-shell-ejecting M4s90 for some time now... basically since the British army got it as the L128a1.

Just a shame the SG9000 isn't semi auto, even though it claims to be on the box and on every page listing I've ever seen for it.

Plus it's impossible to find over here.

Heck, I was even looking for the M1014 that you have (the "echo1" 400fps single shot version) because I could use that as a sniper and just pretend I was using slugshot... But even that is impossible to find in the UK

But, yes, I'll be watching this with much interest!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The SG9000's rear is narrow enough to slip into the M1014 body with mild trimming/sanding. That will make it easy to keep the trigger aligned. From there it will just be a case of slimming down the front controls. The Co2 fits perfectly into the front handguard of the M1014 so no trouble there.

However I really would like to redesign the magazine/feeding mech to allow a larger capacity. If it all plays out how it looks it would be simple to setup a "midcap" type system and extend the magazine tube through the gun body.

So I took down the SG900 to individual parts and I am amazed at how simple it really is. Essentially most of the controls that would interfere with the M1014's looks are only in place for single fire and the safety. It appears I can remove them and aside from losing the single fire and safety modes, no other change would affect the gun. Since I only want the "shotgun" mode anyway this is great discovery in my book.

The feeding mech is very simple too. It uses a chamber that allows three bbs to enter, and when the trigger is pulled slides them over into the barrel before releasing the CO2. This will make it very simple to increase the magazine capacity, possibly even accomplish the task using Marui shotgun shells. One only needs to extend the magazine tube and can locate it anywhere as long as an ample spring is used (just like a midcap). Single fire is accomplished using the selector switch. When in safe it completely blocks the chamber, in single fire it allows only one bb to enter (by blocking 2/3 the chamber), and in burst fire it removes itself from the chamber allowing all three to enter. This would be a great system for greater amounts of bbs too! I still have to take apart the CO2 components to find out what happens to the bbs once inside the barrel.

Archived