Question about Nova Straight Outer Barrels for TM 1911

uscmCorps

I was interested in getting one of those Nova Straight Outer Barrels for my RWL Nighthawk TM 1911. The problem is, I'm a little unclear as to what the outer barrel screws onto since it doesn't include the chamber portion of the outer barrel. As far as I know, Nova doesn't make the other portion of the outer barrel assembly. Any help? Thanks!

Pretty weird for a company to make separate outer barrels but no chambers. The only combination that would make sense (not really) is the Shooter's Design chambers.

RedWolf (and the other shops) really should mention something about that in the product details. Anyway, hopefully someone will have a definite answer for you.

Looked the 1911 chambers up. Found both Shooters Design and Guarders like you guys recommend. How do the two brands compare when it comes for this particular accessory? They look pretty much the same except the SD ones are almost double the price (which I don't mind paying if the quality is worth it). Are there any fitment concerns I should be aware of?

I've used the Shooter's Design chamber on one of my builds and the fit and finish was superb. Can't comment on this particular Guarder part, but it's been hit-and-miss with them in the past. Many parts have needed pretty serious adjustments to work properly - even more so when you mix different brands.

Buy once - cry once. I'd go with the Shooter's Design.

Sounds like a plan. Now if only I can find an unmarked Shooters Design chamber in stock somewhere so I can re-engrave it myself. :(

Also, maybe someone can answer this, on my Nighthawk 1911 I noticed that the outer barrel has a little bit of play forwards and rearwards ... about 0.75mm-1mm of movement when in battery. Is this normal?

I have one of shooters outer barrel/chambers in my TM MEU and its pretty top notch and just dropped right in.

Regarding the play on the barrel, both my TM MEU and my brothers RWC Nighthawk have that too but I don't think its any problem or effects performance.

Wow, so little info about the straight barrels..... It's essentially a barrel with flat lugs, so it doesn't use those.

Since the barrel doesn't use lugs it means during recoil it's static, and the hop up chamber /recoil spring setup keep the barrel in place.

The bad? the chamber looks a bit odd since it sits a bit lower (remember, the barrel doesn't tilt at all so the chamber has to be in the "normal" lowest height from the start).  As far as I know it works identical to the hi-capa straight recoil outers.

Archived