Mods to a Matrix Pulse Rifle

directorcass

Edit- Just found the "Project Suggestions" area. This thread might better fit there. Can a Mod move it for me? Hey, I've been a member here since '04, but I'm a newbie again!!

I'm back! Been a while since I was into airsoft, but things come around in circles. After owning two other Pulse Rifles I decided to buy another. This is the Matrix Pulse Rifle. I wanted to do some mods to it. The first was a full repaint. I took the gun apart in preparation for the following.

What a mess!

th_100_6141_zps726b9d09.jpg

I used Rustoleum Camo OD and their Camo Flat Black. These were then followed by a clear coat. All the parts were shot with the black first.

th_100_6143_zps52f93afe.jpg th_100_6142_zps21569d83.jpg

The shrouds then got a lick of the OD.

th_100_6145_zpsf341b3bd.jpg

This little $2.50 accessory really saved my fingers!

th_100_6144_zps60caebf1.jpg

Next mod was to fit a bigger battery. The gun is designed for an 8.4v stick pack. A 9.6v will fit, but it's very tight. This little tab is what holds the battery in place.

th_100_6149_zps1c082f3f.jpg

Cut this tab out and you open up more room for a longer pack to fit. I added a piece of foam hot glued in place.

th_100_6150_zps3d006bfb.jpg

Now there is more room, and no more crimped wires on the 9.6v battery. There's even enough room to add an even larger battery now.

th_100_6152_zps9032e84b.jpg

Next was how to fit a tracer unit. There are no adapters that fit the PR barrel. I took the barrel to the machine shop at my work and had them turn the barrel on a lathe.

th_100_6153_zpsbf036e97.jpg

This allowed the M9 pistol adapter to fit. It's secured by three set screws.

th_100_6154_zps76d3882e.jpg

And now the Matrix Tracer Unit can be screwed on!

th_100_6165_zps435afcc8.jpg

I also replaced the fake shotgun shell with a machined aluminum M40 grenade.

th_100_6146_zpsc6339b44.jpg

Oh, and I'm a collector, too old and out of shape to skirmish. This is just for the backyard! Stay tuned for more mods...

The odd part about the M41A is that the shotgun part is only the heat shield of a SPAS 12, and in reverse too. It's missing the entire receiver area so you can scratch off any TM shotguns being bodged in. Maybe a CA870 action might fit inside, but that's a lot of work. Did see one before that uses those old Mosquito Molds mini moscart and was a single shot affair as I recall. Could always use Tanaka shells now I suppose.

The mini moscarts are far too long though. Can't remember off hand, but way too long to use in this. If I can find mine, I'll measure them for you :)

Edit, unless I misunderstood, and you meant just a single shot launcher, not a pump action!

I just googled the 27mm moscart grenades. Doubt they will work. It would interfere with the pump action of the grenade launcher.

Best option would be to do what the movie makers did and use a shotgun. I wish the shell ejecting ones were not so exspensive. May try and find a used one. I know there are non shell ejecting shotguns but those dont have a breach that opens when you pull back on the pump handle.

Well that's what I was afraid of, oh well, I'll figure something else to do! Thanks for the suggestions.

And with that, time for another update. Today I relocated the counter's on/off switch. Why? Just because I hated taking the mag base off to turn it on. It is now a lot quicker for me to turn it on and run around the house yelling "Pwew Pwew" as I take on a new bug hunt....

Um yeah, O.K. here we go. First I removed the counter module from the shroud. I had wanted to move it just below the ejection port of the Thompson along that thin bar of the shroud. Unfortunately, there is not enough room as the Thompsons receiver fills that area pretty well. I decided on a different location. I lengthened the wires, soldered and heat shrinked the connections.

th_100_6179_zps3a787d4e.jpg

I decided to move the switch to back, inside area of the shroud. There is plenty of empty space here for the switch and wires.

th_100_6182_zpsc1366a53.jpg

Switch in position and holes drilled and screwed in. The switch fits flush so the other shroud will fit with no issues.

th_100_6183_zps2a3bd038.jpg

Switch wired up and tested. Had a bit of a scare as I wired the red wires backwards! A bit of smoke from one of the red wires and I immediately pulled the battery. Flipped the wires and thankfully everything still works! If you do this make sure you label your wires before cutting and soldering back to the switch.

th_100_6185_zps61d26d20.jpg

Shroud back in place and buttoned up. I'm going to round the edges of the switch so it isn't so sharp.

th_100_6186_zpsdc55a071.jpg

Here you can see the new tinted counter window. Again, it was made from the T-Top from the Aoshima Knightrider model kit.

th_100_6190_zpsd9a2436b.jpg

Another shot of the switch. I'm going to paint it and the screws O.D. to hide a bit better.

th_100_6191_zps1b800b41.jpg

And last a full body shot!

th_100_6192_zps91a91330.jpg

So, I just discovered that the Tanaka M870 is a shell ejecting shotgun and uses shells that hold the gas and not a gas well in the stock. New, these look like they sell for $400! Yikes. May have to keep my eyes open for a used one as most places seem to be out of stock anyway.

Afraid not, they're pump action and gas powered, fed from an internal magazine.

The TM shotguns, while using shells, don't eject them from the ejection port on the side. They just drop from the bottom, same as the clones. Other shot guns use a magazine to load the BB's. What I was looking for was a shotgun that used shells that held the gas and ejected said shells from the ejection port. Most airsoft shotguns don't even have an open ejection port on the side. So far, the Tanaka is the only one I have found that fits what I'm looking for. Thanks for everyone's help, it is much appreciated!

The Maruzen uses and ejects shells too, and fires more BBs at a time than the Tanaka, but requires an external gas source so that's out.

I remember reading something about being able to fit a battery in the area where the 9V goes, and wire both the counter and gun to the same battery- maybe an option to free up space in the shotgun.

Yes, there is plenty of room to move the main battery. The easiest is placing a LiPo in the front of the shroud, just above the barrel. You can make an access plate similliar to the two that are found on the front and back of the mag well area. This would free up the whole SPAS cage area for an airsoft shotgun. I'm going to be looking for the Tanaka. It's pricey so I can't get it anytime soon, unless I get a killer deal on a used one.

Archived