Inside the APS UAR (you know, that one that could have been a proper AUG A3)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, considering swapping to lipos soon, the 9.6v 1500mah nimhs ive got dont seem to cycle the SHS HS motor properly.

www.component-shop.co.uk - a 7.4 2200 will cost you around £17, and the charger another £14 - Enough battery for a whole day unless you're *fruitcage* batshit nuts.

Right; so on sunday the polycarb half of the piston stripped.e4aja5e2.jpg

Which makes me worry a little bit haha.

Ive thrown the piston out of my JG g36 into it for now, and swapped the funny shaped sector chip for a round one.

5ypeqymy.jpg

(Sorry for pic quality, flash killed the image and i aint reopening the GB to retake it!

Im quite clumsy when it comes to reasemble a gearbox as the spring usually makes the whole thing blow in a thousand pieces around the room... so quick change spring gearboxes are much more comfortable to fiddle with. unfortunatly. while there are A LOT of aftermarket V2 QD spring GB, there are only two V3 gearboxes with such functionality, this, which is not sold separatly yet and the utterly expensive and unreliable ARES G36 GB.

Thats why I had the hope this GB could be of use to me when sold as aftermarket upgrade so I could buy it, slap an M90 spring into it and just put it into a nice AK withou spending hours of frustration and swearing trying to fit the spring in the stock GB.

Yes, im THAT clumsy :lol:

ok, makes sense. i have a new AK coming in from a friend soon (RS type 56-2) and im going to try transplanting the daytonagin kit i have in my VFC AK into it. at that time i should be able to try to fit the UAR gearbox into the VFC body.

Sorry to be that guy, but it won't fit. It's designed to fit into the APS EBB AKs, which are different from the standard VFC/CYMA Ver3 gearboxes with EBB capability.

The major issue is that the segment that holds the AK's top cover latch is too high on the APS gearbox. :(

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, Cyma 190rd m4 midcaps fit and feed great in the UAR. They are wide enough that they don't require any magwell shimming and it looks like the spring housing on top of the mag is short enough to fit without modifying the gun. I can't confirm the last, as I have already cut mine.

These I have tried, but will not feed without adding material inside the magwell:

KWA 120rd polymer

Core 140rd 

MAG 130rd

Green Label 75rd Emags 

• 1 month later...

i made one a while back, it got turned into a bullpups thread for everything that didnt fit haha. and as fo my talk on microswitches i mean forgoing FETs totally and just wiring a switch directly into the gearbox ;) im turning mine into a battle rifle anyways

edit: and the selectors a PITA unless you're happy using your middle finger on the trigger, then your index is free to switch it about, but mines either on safe or semi so not really an issue, and its not exactly hard to use it one handed either.

The point is, the standard controls may work stock, but it is much nicer all micro switched up. But, $100 was hard for me to swallow for the Chimera, I know it is not for everyone. If it weren't for the vast improvements it allows for the AUG, then I probably wouldn't have bothered for the UAR. Fortunately, with an extra trigger board (or micro switch) I can use the Chimera in both. I also feel the need to try to optimize everything, it is a sickness...  

How are you thinking to wire a switch directly into the gearbox? You'd have to come up with some way to get the semi cutoff to work, or just go full auto I suppose. If you can work it out with semi intact, that would be great for everyone. You'd still probably want at least a simple FET so you aren't passing all of the current through your trigger switch. It will provide a larger pool of switches to work from.

In any case. I will post some photos of my Chimera install in the UAR next week when I have a bit more free time. I ended up putting it inside the grip. There just isn't room in the back with all of the wiring and such.

Wait wait wait, it doesnt have a standard hop? I know the unit differs ever so slightly from an AK one but inside its the same

No, It isn't compatible with standard buckings, the lips will protrude far enough to stop BBs from feeding. I suppose that means that the barrel fits deeper than normal. I had to trim down the lips of the bucking I used so that it would feed.