I now understand why some fields ban green lasers...

akiraspeedstar

wow, what else do i need oh wise one? 

how about i need people to start focusing on the actual points and not on the method of delivery and btw thanks for your 'oh so helpful' critique of my style

not with regard to lasers. most airsofters 'common sense' use of lasers is to ignore any warning labels on the device, and be 100% sure that the mw rating must be correct, and try not to shine it in anyones eye during the game 

my own common sense approach might be slightly different..

After that kind of reply, I don't really have to say much else! 

But I will add, I would suggest your approach is "uncommon sense" since a number of sites have run variations of the example I gave in my post; with one of the most well known sites the south running the exact controls mentioned --- The fact that we are not now inundated by reports of players blinded by lasers or those who have had their gear singed suggests to me that perhaps the risk is present but mostly mitigated by existing controls.

In any case, it is not worth the effort in discussing with you any further.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, what else do i need oh wise one? 

what you need to do is to stop with this condescending tone you use in nearly all your posts here. You are not the only person here capable of making valid points.

If you are not able to stop, I can assist you. 

there seem to be rather few valid points for using a laser in an airsoft game other than peoples desires, and that particular point lacks validity imo

Again just because they are not your points doesn't make them non-valid. How many times must it be said?

I personally think a person should look at themselves, how they play and what they plan to use it for, if they are serious about safety and know what they are doing fine. If they don't why are they even allowed RIFs?

'FireKnife'

Re:- yolo "Abbreviation for: you only live once

The dumbass's excuse for something stupid that they did

Also one of the most annoying abbreviations ever"

Taken from the link provided by sir nagged a lot. Don't shine lasers at people's eyes. But if a group of people are fine with the potential risk, then it's up to them. This is reminding me of the Bill Hicks gag about pro-lifers "there's options".

The elephant in the room is that hotelkilo is right; there is no valid reason to use a laser in airsoft outside of personal desire. The reason why that point is invalidated is because there is no reason to play airsoft outside of personal desire. If you remove one via that logic, you also remove the other, hence why the point is largely ignored. We do a lot of things for personal desire.

There have been some valid points raised, especially regarding the mislabeling of many cheaper quality lasers. That is extremely important and does raise some serious questions. Also the point on airsofters' ignoring the warning label is true - every airsoft gun that I have owned has shipped with a manual that has explicitly said "Do not shoot other people" which basically says "Do not play airsoft" :P  

In all sincerity though, any responsible airsofters will not ignore the warning label on a laser, because it is common sense - do not shine it in someone's eyes. That is obvious. If anyone did that on purpose I would expect them to be dealt with by the site operator, just as if they were using an overpowered gun etc. If it was accidental, I would expect them to be warned to be more careful, and any repeat reports will result in a much day's gaming, once again just the same as if they were playing dangerously in any other fashion. The risk is there, and I completely agree with hotelkilo on that. Where we disagree is that I believe it to be an accepted risk, and take it in-stride.

Also the point on airsofters' ignoring the warning label is true - every airsoft gun that I have owned has shipped with a manual that has explicitly said "Do not shoot other people" which basically says "Do not play airsoft" :P

guilty as charged  :D although i have managed to stop looking down the barrel and lending it to babies !!

Archived