WE Katana M4 ... thoughts?

uscmCorps

I own 47 guns . Out of those I can only rate 4 of the aeg guns as 10 out of 10 . All the rest have had to be tweaked or bits replaced to be accurate , reliable , . Every gun has its foibles or fail points , some more than others .

Two of my highest rated are real sword guns . Quality beyond the expected inside and out . One is a g&g . And one is believe it or not an ares gun , I own tm , ca , ka . Ics , Kwa , we , double eagle and a few more to boot , , some are not bad considering their initial purchase price points , others are atrocious and cost a lot of money for basically wall hangers , due to their endless thirst for replacement bits .

The we from a spec point of view look good , shame they didn't iron out the faults / before releasing it to the public . Or maybe its built to a budget that they wouldn't exceed . Either way it needs work to be a viable skirmish weopon , unless you are happy to have a gun that will be outranged by combat machines costing a third of its price .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a finnish "preview" of my gun.

My gun was test-version and it was not in playable condition when i got it, so i had to make those mods. External quality is great for this prize range. What i have heard that in retail versions  these issues have been fixed.

As said, stock bucking was useless so had to change that to a madbull blue. Had to fix aoe because gears started to eat away pickup tooth quite fast.

(also reshimmed via bevel etc.)

Shot about 40k bb:s through it now and have been my main gun for last tree months. I have  installed BTC Chimera Lonex 8mm ballbearings and Lonex A1 motori for it now :)

Spring release works with stock Cylinder but not with M130 cylinder.

The we from a spec point of view look good , shame they didn't iron out the faults / before releasing it to the public . Or maybe its built to a budget that they wouldn't exceed . Either way it needs work to be a viable skirmish weopon , unless you are happy to have a gun that will be outranged by combat machines costing a third of its price .

Strange, the only 'fault' I had with my WE (and I assume we're talking about the standard WE AEG, not the Katana) was it was too hot, firing around 410fps. That said, I bought it from Red wolf in Hong Kong, so who's to say they need to cater from UK site fps limits. Which means, technically it was faultless.

Sure the gearbox could use a shim, but I've heard all sorts of jive regarding these WE guns, and my experience just doesn't tally up.

Strange, the only 'fault' I had with my WE (and I assume we're talking about the standard WE AEG, not the Katana) was it was too hot, firing around 410fps. That said, I bought it from Red wolf in Hong Kong, so who's to say they need to cater from UK site fps limits. Which means, technically it was faultless.

Sure the gearbox could use a shim, but I've heard all sorts of jive regarding these WE guns, and my experience just doesn't tally up.

Was actually referring to the katana model , needs bucking , hop , nub replacing as the stock accuracy / grouping are rubbish

As far as I know, it is NOT 1:1 scale. It essentially has V2 internals that have been altered to feature a split upper/lower gear box but the overall dimensions and layout is more similar to that of a V2 than a PTW. The motor also is a standard type motor which would make the grip wider than RS and the same as that of a regular M4 grip.

So it appears that for now at least that the WE KATANA is falling short of the mark :(

I was sent one a few days ago and it shoots horribly, makes some very odd noises and sounds like its pre-engaging when it cycles. Seriously disappointed as all the other "new WE" guns I have had my hands on are brilliant. I have heard of three customers taking theirs back within a day and one wholesaler taking them off the shelf.

Internally the gun looks the nuts and the quality of the gearbox machining looks superb as does the external parts. The front rail is rock solid and everything moves with a nice solid feel. I swapped the hop unit out with the new ASHU and that just made things worse. The WE Hop unit is much longer ( or the ASHU is shorter ) I have had to send my one back as well so no more play time.

I really really hope WE just had a batch that slipped through the net and that the replacements are as good as there standard M4.

That's handy to know. I am keeping a close eye on this thread and the DTW thread as I am about to purchase a new RIF and my shortlist is TM Recoil, WE Katana, DTW or Magpul Masada. May wait until the G-Box is out though and see what that is like.

That's handy to know. I am keeping a close eye on this thread and the DTW thread as I am about to purchase a new RIF and my shortlist is TM Recoil, WE Katana, DTW or Magpul Masada. May wait until the G-Box is out though and see what that is like.

Go with the TM Recoil, they are all excellent especially the AK 102M The Katana is not ready, The DTW is risky and the Masada is heinous.

Action hobbies has their Katanas on sale, with a disclaimer statement that they are being sold without any warranty. This is due to a statement being released by WE confirming the first batch had serious gearbox issues....ouch.

I missed out on buying one of these, and bought a DTW instead, lucky me :)

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd bother now. The WE was never going to be anything more than a standard AEG with a split gearbox. The only thing that made it attractive to me was the relative security of it being a system based on 'proven' ideals and technology. Ignoring the fact that WE couldn't even get that right (?!?!?), I was hoping this system could be combined with the (hyped up) ASCU and ASHU to make an (almost) TW rifle. Now we know the ASCU & ASHU are pants, even if WE got the second batch right, it's still just another bog standard AEG.....yawn.

With so many budget TW's coming out, my money is promised to more exotic buys.

• 5 weeks later...

After being somehow dissapointed with the lack of news about the Airsoft Systems ASAR (they almost banished from the realm of the living) Im starting to consider buying a WE katana to replace my revered ICS M4, so, any of you own one? any news of a "gen2"? 

I have read some comments about them being certainly good, just need a bit of work in the precision/range deartment as any OOTB AEG and a weaker spring in my specific case

BTW: apologies for the seminecro ^_^

Archived