Wear that face protection!

double_a

Apologies then, Habakure - I just thought I might have been rambling a bit and point the main points in bold as those two lines are all I really meant to say.

Regarding, Edit 1 - that isn't what I meant at all. There would be no arguing (not sure where you picked this up from), in the given example I would take the hit and would never know the difference between a sniper within his MED and a normal player. That is my point, the dishonesty is not mine - it would be the sniper without an appropriate back up that would be deceiving me. 

And Edit 2 - exactly as I would do. It is also as exactly as I would expect others to play as well and goes back to my first bolded line, "Be honest". You don't know if you were shot, best to take it as such! 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dishonest play is with (in the scenario of sniper offering a bang kill within the med limit and not having a non-med back-up) the sniper. When you put about calling out, to see if there is any one out there (Sidney), that isn't arguing but for me it's pointless. Unless you see a player close to you and all he has is a sniper rifle, then maybe have a word with a marshall.

If you get the jump on someone, you're going to give them a quick burst or one/two rounds (I do prefer semi auto, aeg permitting. Sometimes I've had an aeg not work in semi, quick full auto bust, back to normal), and that's them done. What I wouldn't do, is if after a bang kill, a sniper player tells me he didn't have a back-up (and I was within his med), I wouldn't give him a few rounds. I'd go tell a marshall (unless of course it's a site where you can offer a bang kill if they're within your med).

Wow this thread has been an eye opener on a few players attitudes. :P

Seriously, don't come and play at the well what some might call airsoft sites up here. The general attitude is very worrying up here and guns over 350fps don't need a sidearm to back them up. Sadly I don't have a choice about not playing at them, aside from giving up the hobby which I am not doing.

Either way my point still stands, it is a case of how people respond in situations and in my mind if someone says bang and has a barrel pointed at me, unless they are abusing the rules as pointed out before I will take it as it means any potential issues are avoided and as I play for fun (95% of the time I don't even bother finding out if our team even won so long as it was fun) I don't mind the little jaunt back to the respawn at the end of the day.

'FireKnife'

I always get it wrong and assume the opposite (winning /loosing wise), I'm always amazed when I'm on the winning team (doesn't happen often, haven't airsoft for over 9 months due to family commitments. That's changing in may).

Does sound a tad bad, where you game FK. Though in a weird way, I'd like to play at one of those sites, to see how I'd fair (the old sore tooth. Don't touch it, it's sore. I can't help it. Oww).

I always get it wrong and assume the opposite (winning /loosing wise), I'm always amazed when I'm on the winning team (doesn't happen often, haven't airsoft for over 9 months due to family commitments. That's changing in may).

Does sound a tad bad, where you game FK. Though in a weird way, I'd like to play at one of those sites, to see how I'd fair (the old sore tooth. Don't touch it, it's sore. I can't help it. Oww).

It is but then like I have said before I am moving within a year and to be honest it is all I have. But then if you have about 3-4 hi-caps and a gun running high enough RPS at about average 320-330fps you will be fine. Most of the games are very paintball esque with ranges often being that you start inside each others range, making bolt action users suffer as they find it hard to stay outside the MED sometimes (in fact I don't know if they still inforce the MED anymore).

Or you could visit the site in Dundee, it has been open since 1999 and has never seen a chrono, I recall the 400 odd fps shot I took from a single shot shotgun there, that was fun :P.

Personally I don't really care that much how people play, but I am just trying to get my point across that sometimes it is just easier to take the high road, take that hit and just say 'fair enough'. As for what this has to do with eye pro not much at all, though I have taken now for when I get up close to lowering my pistol and taking chest height shots only, I even have targets set up for this, just make sure that unless some comes around the corner to me and is about 4 foot high I am unlikely to hit them in the face, full face or not. Though can't guarentee they will be doing the same, though I feel I am doing my bit to avoid these issues.

'FireKnife'

Up here, up here, up here, every issue you have with airsoft is 'up here' I get the feeling wherever you eventually land no site will meet your halcyonic view of how airsoft should be, go read some of your old drivel, it's a broken record dude, I'm amazed your not banned from local sites you're nothing but critical, have you considered the real issue is you?

To the op, nice video, at least you kept your teeth :D

Posted · Hidden by cazboab, April 17, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by cazboab, April 17, 2013 - No reason given

Up here, up here, up here, every issue you have with airsoft is 'up here' I get the feeling wherever you eventually land no site will meet your halcyonic view of how airsoft should be, go read some of your old drivel, it's a broken record dude, I'm amazed your not banned from local sites you're nothing but critical, have you considered the real issue is you?

If+_b89a3e2c628b38135513c787bb22d3f2.jpg

he went there.

I play at sites ranging from 300 fps to 500 fps for aegs and always wear full face protection , mistakes can and do happen in gameplay . At least I am protected if they do . It only takes 1 stray bb to do the damage , luck is not a good enough defense for me or my sons .

Yes it Dosnt look as cool in photos or videos , it can sometimes get hot and uncomfortable , but I have learned to live with it and adapt my game style to suit it .

Would any of you go to a paintball site in just a pair of glasses ? Or cut metal without suitable eye protection . So why do you feel safe firing plastic bbs at 30 mph at each others body's / heads expecting no injuries . ?

Good point. Do you wear clovers when pouring hot water? Just a thought I just had. Like I said, I wear lower face protection these days.

Edit:- face protection is important. Lets get that straight. But I do feel, at times in woodland, that it can hinder my concentration (due to feeling uncomfortable) and I start to feel irritated. That's when I might take off the lower face protection (for a bit). I would never take it off in cqb.

Good point. Do you wear clovers when pouring hot water? Just a thought I just had. Like I said, I wear lower face protection these days.

No because it is me pouring it , in a relatively controlled environment , and not towards my eyes or face ... , if some one else was pouring towards me that would be a different matter in regards to safety ..

Say at a cafe then, do you trust the people working there, to lean over your table and pour hot tea/coffee, into your cup? Or do you ask if you could do it yourself (that's if you're allowed too, of course). Generally interested, as I have thought sometimes " *fruitcage* hell, steady".

I did have a post lined up to put for Aitch but much easier to send it to him personally, so I have.

As for the points about full face, to me they are going to be:

1. I do my best to avoid shooting for the face if I can help it.

2. I wear full face but let thers make a simple choice about whether they want to or not.

3. Anyone that considers sending 20+ shots at someones head, up close, if that is all they can see is an idiot, as why do it?

To be honest it is all personal choice and safety but if someone is stupid enough to come round a corner firing at head height and gives someone a few face welts up close then should they really be allowed to use RIFs?

'FireKnife'

I did have a post lined up to put for Aitch but much easier to send it to him personally, so I have.

As for the points about full face, to me they are going to be:

1. I do my best to avoid shooting for the face if I can help it.

2. I wear full face but let thers make a simple choice about whether they want to or not.

3. Anyone that considers sending 20+ shots at someones head, up close, if that is all they can see is an idiot, as why do it?

To be honest it is all personal choice and safety but if someone is stupid enough to come round a corner firing at head height and gives someone a few face welts up close then should they really be allowed to use RIFs?

'FireKnife'

It Dosnt have to be aimed at someone's head to do damage , a ricochet will do the same damage . Or some one could accidentally pass your line of fire . I actually managed to shoot a Marshall completely unintentionally in the face protection on Sunday just gone , he came around a blind corner to a building just as I took a shot at a player several Mtrs behind him . Was just in the wrong place at the wrong time . Apologies ensued and the game carried on . Had he not been wearing protection could have been a lot more serious . As I said accidents do happen ...

Doesn't this all come down to;

If you're an adult. Take your choice, and associated risk - within the rules of the site you're attending (and don't *badgeress* if you get lit up).

If you're not an adult, you'll probably not have an option if you want to play.

I had a tooth shot out by a stock TM M14. The choice was mine to wear glasses only. I would never consider the shooter, or the site liable for that choice.

Like most internet discussions, the points can be dragged to the extremes... But at the end of the day, the players who don't want to risk getting shot in the face (fnar) wear a mask... Those that are happy to take that risk, don't. Neither are "right".

Depending on the exact circumstances I'm sure the Marshalling team would issue a warning or send the player home. On a slight variation of a theme, it may also happen accidentally - where someone could be firing past a corner and an enemy closer in walks into the fire.

For validity of the above; the OPs post is a real life example of accidental head shots at close range. 

There are a number of reasons why someone might be firing at head height that would cause a third party to get hit in the face at close range. I don't think in every case that will determine if someone should be allowed to use a RIF or not. It's one of those case-by-case things. There are just so many variables in play, that's why the recommendation is always to wear full face protection. 

EDIT: +1 Smoke

Oh I didn't answer it, as it's up to you. Do you feel safe with someone leaning over you, with a hot pot of coffee/tea and you've said yes. But remember, accidents can happen ( they could get bumped into and bam, got coffee all over you).

Accidents also happen in airsoft.

Oh I didn't answer it, as it's up to you. Do you feel safe with someone leaning over you, with a hot pot of coffee/tea and you've said yes. But remember, accidents can happen ( they could get bumped into and bam, got coffee all over you).

Accidents also happen in airsoft.

The difference is that the cafe , restaurants public liability would pay out for injurys

At an Airsoft site you are told in the safety brief to wear full face protection , if you decide to ignore this the insurance ( liability ) is highly unlikely to pay for any injuries incurred whilst ignoring site safety guidelines

It Dosnt have to be aimed at someone's head to do damage , a ricochet will do the same damage . Or some one could accidentally pass your line of fire . I actually managed to shoot a Marshall completely unintentionally in the face protection on Sunday just gone , he came around a blind corner to a building just as I took a shot at a player several Mtrs behind him . Was just in the wrong place at the wrong time . Apologies ensued and the game carried on . Had he not been wearing protection could have been a lot more serious . As I said accidents do happen ...

Of course they do but they can be apologized for as you say and life goes on, it is then the choice of the person if they go to full face or risk it again, but in some cases you do just get people acting carelessly and without knowing what they are doing and that I find is where the issues mostly lie, same with anything else in airsoft though like lasers, BFGs and such and such.

But at the end of the day I have worn all kinds of eye pro and face protection, yet I still use my trusty face mask as it gives me piece of mind and good vision capabilities, that is what works for me and that is what I use.

Depending on the exact circumstances I'm sure the Marshalling team would issue a warning or send the player home. On a slight variation of a theme, it may also happen accidentally - where someone could be firing past a corner and an enemy closer in walks into the fire.

Of course, maybe I should have expanded it by saying 'without checking what is there, almost akin to blind firing'. Though in the case of checking what is there, popping back behind the corner, then turning to fire, seeing someone a bit closer than they where and firing at what you are aiming at, lets say the face, that is an accident and many of us have been their before, I just decided that I didn't want that risk so I stuck to the mask.

While accidents happen, some people just don't think or are too into the game that they throw common sense out the window. I am one for doing silly things, like at The Mall I slid into cover, fell short and did a funky roll the rest of the way, now if I was hit a lot, or hurt, then it was might fault for doing the silly roll but I did make sure that my way was clear first and that it would only be myself getting hurt if so. That is all people need to do, think 'ok fine if I get hurt, but what about everyone near me'.

That is not a rant or having a go at anyone really, just that some people need to take a second to think sometimes.

'FireKnife'

The difference is that the cafe , restaurants public liability would pay out for injurys

At an Airsoft site you are told in the safety brief to wear full face protection , if you decide to ignore this the insurance ( liability ) is highly unlikely to pay for any injuries incurred whilst ignoring site safety guidelines

Interesting point, but not what I was getting at. Accidents can happen, not that they're accidents that are covered by insurance and accidents where it would be unlikely, to be covered by insurance. Lets not go into public liability insurance, and wether a site will pay out, as there was another thread, about that very thing.

What I meant, was, we can't foresee every eventuality nor is it practical to protect ones self, from every (potential) accident. It's why I wear gloves. You could have a fall and you could land on a thorn bush or something similar. Wearing gloves helps to protect your hands from any unwanted cuts, from Mother Nature.

Airsoft is a game that involves shooting projectiles at people - a headshot is an inevitability. Typically speaking I am for centre mass (easier target; safer for everyone), and I've shot someone in the face while aiming at their chest - I pulled the trigger, they ducked. It happens. Given that it will happen, and that there is a known risk of losing teeth, it is obviously on the individual players to assess the risks involved and take precautions suitable to what they deem as acceptable risk.

Personally I don't have dentist money. I wear a lower mesh mask to protect my gnashers.

Headshots are a part of airsoft - some people aim for the head religiously, and others just take the shot when its the only target that's presented. Excessive aiming for the head should be dealt with by a marshal, as you're playing the numbers - eventually you could get that one in a million shot that bounces under a pair of shooting glasses. Accidents happen, as said above. You need to take precautions to prevent the most common risks, so eye protection is a minimum. Anything more is up to you, but just make sure you are aware that there is still risk involved.

Scared of the dentist. It's not the drilling, or getting a tooth out, it's the hands in my mouth. It relates to my ill-rational fear of going sick.

No problem for most airsoft injuries! Most front teeth injuries won't require the dentist hands going in very far and just find a dentist who works late. Now you can play happily without full face.

Archived