Wear that face protection!

double_a

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. I like teeth. This thread has convinced me that there are too many untrustworthy types out there. With their crazy head shot ways.

I don't hold it against people that go for head-shots, I've always supposed it's fairly natural (on a primordial level) for one to aim for the head. 

Also, I might add, head protection might be worth think about alongside face protection.

I took a lace of auto-fire to the top of the skull which resulted in some pretty nasty welts, which have never really gone away. I went to the doctors to check them out, and it turns out that when small trauma injuries get infected it can can lead to these hard bumps under the skin. Of which I now have a couple and can only be surgically removed. Now I always wear at least a cap.

Nope. I like teeth. This thread has convinced me that there are too many untrustworthy types out there. With their crazy head shot ways.

What if that is the only legitimate target available? Fighting in CQB with low cover and corners, more often than not the head will be the only part of an enemy that is exposed to fire. 

I don't hold it against people that go for head-shots, I've always supposed it's fairly natural (on a primordial level) for one to aim for the head. 

I once got linked to a study that points out that it is actually something from playing FPS and similar games. Aiming for the head gives a quick kill, so it gets ingrained into people and they do it without thinking in the real world too.

I thought this was balls but they backed it up with showing that those that had been given police or military firearms training instead shot for the chest instead, prefering to guarentee a chest hit on centre mass then go for a smaller, bobbing tagret like the head.

Maybe that is why it is so ingrained, maybe it isn't, too bad I can't find the article.

As for the head being the only target fair enough, it happens. But for me I don't like just aiming for the head, not as it is a bad thing but as I am often limited on ammo I would rather flank and have a view of the chest to get a better chance at getting that hit. At the end of the day a hit on any part of the body in airsoft is a hit, so I try to set myself up with a bigger area to hit. :P

'FireKnife'

Interesting read FK and I agree. In games I will aim for the heads, as you mentioned the convention is that it is the quicker kill. In the field skirmishing though, I will aim for the body, even when I have a DMR with a nice optic - simply because it is the bigger target. The grouping on our RIFs really begs people to do this, especially at longer ranges and in windy conditions. 

Very true,

Some people seem to think that airsoft follows the same principles as a real bullet, but really after about 10-15m with a standard AEG you can't guarentee the same hit that a real bullet would be getting at ten times that range. It amazes me the number of people that see a masked face pop up so they try to line up their irons and hit the other person, miss then give up and just send a hopefully burst their way instead of thinking 'hang on I could move round to get to a point where I could hit them in one shot'.

Also as Algy has pointed out I have taken to wearing my trusty hat now as it does reduce the feel of head hits, not to the point that I wouldn't feel them, but in some cases so I feel them but instead of my reaction being '*fruitcage* that hurts, must cover head' and risk getting shot more it is 'ah well that's a hit' and putting my hand up instead. Sounds silly but in the case of our head we do have different reaction patterns and due to how pain is received we notice it a lot quicker and react differently when hit there.

'FireKnife'

What if that is the only legitimate target available? Fighting in CQB with low cover and corners, more often than not the head will be the only part of an enemy that is exposed to fire.

That's cqb and totally different. Though I suspect you wouldn't aim at a persons head, if they didn't have full face protection. I was referring to people firing full auto crazy style, I mean full auto at least 20 rounds crazy. I mean crazy.

Edit:- people always go for the neck. That is the primordial target, strangle the *bramston pickle* to death.

That's cqb and totally different. Though I suspect you wouldn't aim at a persons head, if they didn't have full face protection. I was referring to people firing full auto crazy style, I mean full auto at least 20 rounds crazy. I mean crazy.

Edit:- people always go for the neck. That is the primordial target, strangle the *bramston pickle* to death.

Ah ok, you didn't make that distinction so I was unsure - my prerogative is to aim for the body, unless the only target is the head. That goes for all engagements, whether in the field or in CQB. Of course - overkill is a different issue and I wouldn't knowingly put twenty rounds into someone when they've already called hit, head or torso! 

Heavy, take a look at Black Bear masks.  Val and I have them, and if you remove the nose piece on a set of glasses, they sit well on the nose bridge of the mask with quite a tight fit.  As long as the retention straps aren't fitted as tight as Val would do to his chloroform victims, you shouldn't have too uncomfortable a time wearing it.

Streaky.

Ah ok, you didn't make that distinction so I was unsure - my prerogative is to aim for the body, unless the only target is the head. That goes for all engagements, whether in the field or in CQB. Of course - overkill is a different issue and I wouldn't knowingly put twenty rounds into someone when they've already called hit, head or torso!

That's because you're not crazy. You don't do crazy head shots, like the 20 round full auto, type of crazy head shot (these are very rare by the way).

I did once have a guard for my privates, it was too uncomfortable too use.

I remember one time I took a knee to get a better shot with my VSR, which meant my trousers pulled tight under the crotch and the boys were resting against them.

Guess where a lone heavyweight sniper round hit me. :(

I damn near puked.

I remember one time I took a knee to get a better shot with my VSR, which meant my trousers pulled tight under the crotch and the boys were resting against them.

I damn near puked.

I retched a bit...  That's just bad luck, chap! At least you lived to tell the tale. 

Yeah, luckily there wasn't a 'man down' :D

I've actually been very lucky insofar as I haven't had too many ridiculously painful shots. Worst was a point-blank shot on my knuckle on full auto, literally 4mm away (through a door way at an indoor site). Worse again is I'd just been hit and had one hand in the air as I was standing up, but got laced in the knuckle. That was in December, and it still hurts when I bend my finger all the way in. That was through fairly thick gloves as well.

Beyond that though, nothing to report as far as nasty/painful shots :)

Hmm, I never bothered with anything around the crotch area as well one I have yet to be hit there, two the trousers I wear usually have a bit of material and a zip that blocks that area enough for me and three I have taken enough hits in the balls from women to build up an immunity :P.

Either way the face and eyes are required protection in my mind, being hit anywhere else there is either enough material covering that area or not going to make much of a difference or cause enough damage to warrant anything else. Though I could probably do with some knee pads, but have never found any that fit me without sliding down or even up when I move.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...

Alta contour are quite good mate :) What i use and although they are bulky and heavy compared to foam trouser inserts, they are worth their weight in gold on the one day you trip and fall kneecap first... unfortunately the one time that has happened i was wearing trouser inserts :( They dont slip down either, at all, and i do lots of running.

I damn near puked.

That made me cringe and groan. Aaaagggghhh  :( sorry dude!

I damn near puked.

I can sympathise. When I used to work as a paintball marshal, one of the other guys caught a round square in the googlies from about 10 meters away. I don't think there was a single man there who didn't instantly clutch when they saw him reeling on the ground and throwing up. I think he would rather drop dead than go through that again.

I think the inner thigh on a cold day is definitely the most painful. There's been a few times that has had me hopping with pain at close range.

The only other funny one is being hit in the back of the kneecap. A sniper round to the inside of my knee while I'm running won't hurt, but it will drop me to the ground ungracefully! ;) 

I think the inner thigh on a cold day is definitely the most painful. There's been a few times that has had me hopping with pain at close range.

The only other funny one is being hit in the back of the kneecap. A sniper round to the inside of my knee while I'm running won't hurt, but it will drop me to the ground ungracefully! ;)

The funny part about that is looking like you ACTUALLY got shot haha. 

falling over in pain will do that :P

• 4 weeks later...

Archived