Load Bearing options - what do you use

Grimfist1

Now, been airsofting for a few years and i think ive tried everything in terms of LBE.

but i still havnt found one that allows me to carry the bear essentials, whist having fast access to kit, whilst allowing me to lie down, whist not being cumbersome.

Ive tried:

molle chest rig - with all ammo and pistol was way to front heavy and couldnt lie down

molle plate carrier - to bulky and restrictive, also i dont need plates and lots of wasted molle space

WAS centurion (chest rg) - good but on the bulky side and hard to access mags on right hand side

SAAV - simple and effective but too big and wastefull

pat 95 webbing - very good but for airsoft i need more mags not rations and field kit

chicom - simple and great for my ak, nice and low profile - but only holds 4 mags

they all have problems.

at the moment im running a tactical tailor MAV with 4 mag pouches and a duty belt with serpa, dump pouch and ammo pouches. its ok but the belts a bit heavy and pulls down and the mav is nice and compact, can wear high but hast got much space so you have to double stack mags, making it to bulky.

so my question is:

What gear are you currently running, and why do you like it?

thanks

but i still havnt found one that allows me to carry the bear essentials, whist having fast access to kit, whilst allowing me to lie down, whist not being cumbersome.

I was in exactly the same boat, and then I bought a TMC copy of a Crye JPC in ATACSFG. Within half an hour of adjusting it to fit, I'd decided it was pretty much the rig I'd been looking for all these damn years (And like you I've tried everything). 

Here's why I like it:

1: Exceptionally, ludicrously light. 

2: Sits reasonably high, but not too high, so easy access to belt gear.

3: Kangaroo mag pouch on the front - Takes 3 AR mags, 6 Mp5 mags, 2 AK mags and many other things. It also protects the magazines very well from crawling in the dirt, and allows fast access.

4: Skeletal cummerbund - The sides are just the Molle webbing, no backing material. Still take pouches fine, but a lot more flexible.

5: Very low profile and very comfortable.

6: Looks well HSLD, especially combined with the beard I'm struggling to force out of my face.

My only complaints are the included hollow plastic plates are a bit naff - I've ditched the front one for some thick foam, which is way more comfortable. That, and adjusting the cummberbund requires messing about with some elastic cord, which is no big difficulty but not as simple as some other adjustment methods.

For £40, I love the thing - I carry 3 AR mags in the kangaroo pouch, another one in a Fastmag to one side, and pistol/mags/etc on my belt kit. If I need to carry more stuff, I've still got the whole of the front to attach Molle pouches onto 'n all. 

Linky: http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?products_id=5279

The banshee looks a bit to 'plate carrier esqe' and bulky from googling some pictures but that JPC seems nice, i like the minimal sides. can it fit nice and snug or does it move around?

thanks for your suggestions, im currently looking through the first line gear thread and i think im also gonna replace my duty belt with a molle one and some suspenders.

The banshee looks a bit to 'plate carrier esqe' and bulky from googling some pictures but that JPC seems nice, i like the minimal sides. can it fit nice and snug or does it move around?

I'm a reasonably hefty guy (38" waist) and it's snug on me - No movement or bouncing, but I think that's down to the way the cummerbund adjusts. On a lot of PC's I've seen and used, the adjustment is provided by velcro - Which can lead to being either too tight and discomfort, or too loose and moving around. The JPC's cummerbund is retained at the back by elastic shock cord, and adjusted at the front with velcro - So once you've tightened the velcro up, the elastic allows movement to keep it snug. Hopefully that made some form of sense! 

It's also a lot better with foam than the hard plastic plates - I find the foam in the front moulds to my chest and helps keep it in the right place.

I use a JPC aswell for long games.
3 in the Kanga Pouch, x2 short shingles on the front, and x2 fastmags on the sides.
Doesn't bounce around and I sprint around everywhere like a crazy person.

For CQB i just use TMC's copy of the Costa Leg Rig.
X2 midcaps, X2 pistol mags, + Spare torch/pyro.

All you ever need.

For the better part of a year or so I've been exclusively running a USGI LBV coupled with ALICE pouches.

I have it configured so that the LBV carries 6 5.56 magazines (or 12 MP5 magazines) along with an ALICE double 1911 magazine pouch mounted to the left shoulder strap of the vest harness, and also has 2 grenade pockets for grenades or small radios.

On the belt, I have 3 more ALICE 5.56 magazine pouches (one on the left, 2 on the right) which I use to carry additional mags, radios, speedloaders and spare BBs, tools, batteries. On the left, behind the ALICE 5.56 pouch, I have a belt mounted double pistol mag pouch for double stack mags if I'm running the USP or any other large frame handgun.

Mounted to the rear, I have two 1 quart USGI water bottles in their respective pouches and a USGI ALICE buttpack which I use to carry spent mags or anything else that doesn't fit.

All in all, I can carry anywhere between 6-12 mags, and most of my accessories. For such an old design, I can fish out a new mag and complete a reload with negligible difference in timing compared to when I was using my MOLLE rigs with Fastmags.

A more recent acquisition is a Guarder SOE/BDS style vest which fulfils the exact role specified above, except it comes with more utility pouches mounted onto the vest by default, so I don't need to run an extensive belt kit as well. On this, I only carry a buttpack and water on the belt.

If I'm feeling "Marineish", I don the old Gen I OTV with some SDS pouches and jump in. I carry a separate Camelbak for hydration.

http://i.imgur.com/ZyXJRVu.jpg

LBV and OTV

http://i.imgur.com/F819S7x.jpg

Guarder vest

I like these vests because they carry all my stuff, are unpretentious, bombproof, inexpensive, suitable for any skirmish situation, suitable for mil-sim, and are aesthetically pleasing to my beholding eyes, especially when combined with certain setups. YMMV.

ive just picked up a 2nd hand Tactical tailor AK rig (£25) to try out as it looks pretty minimal. but if i dont like it i think its gonna have to be a micro PC, and the JPC looks the best.

If i like it i think im gonna go with that and a belt kit for general skirmishing. - and now to sort a belt rig :/

@bobtuskins the old designs always seem to work well, the LBV looks like it functions similar to a DPM ops vest or SAAV, but i always feel like theres 'too much going on' with pouches everywhere, but i suppose with practice it becomes second nature.

@thatguy404 im liking the idea of the costa leg rig.

thanks for all you guys input so far.

I've always been in love with my BULLE MLE rigs. I understand they are similar to the TT MAV but with a split at the front. They can carry all the gear I need, are light, comfortable and adjustable, and can be run with or without a belt rig.

The only issue I have with them is that now I'm in Hong Kong and everyone plays at 1.5J as a minimum, my chest isn't well protected from the *fruitcage*wits who light you up at close range with an overpowered gun. So platecarriers (my current ones are a WAS RICAS and a WAS Centurion).

I've always been in love with my BULLE MLE rigs. I understand they are similar to the TT MAV but with a split at the front. They can carry all the gear I need, are light, comfortable and adjustable, and can be run with or without a belt rig.

Pretty much this ^ and I will add the cheap as chips factor, for options:

MLCS clone chest rig, pretty much the same as the bulle but a bit more "real steel" 

Original TTMAV two piece if you prefer something higher quality than the bulle

Belt and hicaps, some essential pouches to carry your stuff and that should me more than enuogh for regular "morning" games

I would take a gander at the mayflower uw chest rigs. They are super light and can carry pretty much everything you need in the field. If you are trying to stay light weight, instead of getting a battle belt, I would just invest in a very nice fun belt, like an ares ranger belt or the jones tactical one.

A benefit to the mayflower chest rig is that if you ever decided to get a plate carrier, several companies make them that would just allow you to clip in the chest rig

LBV 88, very light, very stable, takes enough mags so long as you don't spam fire (though honestly, 6 M16 hi-caps should be enough for anyone). It mounts a holster and other accessories with the addition of a pistol belt very easily and securely. I do a lot of running, crawling and going prone, never had a problem with my LBV. It's fairly cool to wear in warm or hot weather and it's also very well constructed. Also it has retro chic.

Edit: I am talking about a real one, not one of those crappy repro ones you see a lot on ebay, a real one should cost about £20 plus p&p.

I've got a smersh on the way atm to go with my ruskie stuff, gonna be nice to wear hopefully.

@Skarclaw (or any other ruskie gear people) are there any mods wich are usually done to it like PLCE?

I'm still pondering over a belt kit though for general skirmishing/PMC ish look to go with my TT AK rig.

realistically its gonna need to have 4 mags, 2 pistol mags, dump pouch, utility pouch, water bottle. it seems a bit much to go on just a belt. and then there's the pouches, im thinking the TACO ones?

thanks again for everyones input so far

Belt kit is definitely a good choice! As are TACO's. 

Don't want to sound like I'm flogging cool-guy kit but if you're really wanting to keep weight/bulk down, the Blue Force Gear stuff with the rubber backing is amazing. 

That looks great, but in recent reviews by Ckinnerly it seems like they are quite fragile and not very though, so if the OP liks to crawl or need strong gear, its better to buy tacos

I used to rely solely on a Warrior PLB belt and bracers setup with dump pouch, fabric mag pouches and a safariland.  Whilst it did the job and felt balanced when it came to weight distribution, It lacked for space.  I'd recommend that as a belt combo as it really was a comfy setup.

But due to the space issue I've resorted to using an omega style molle vest and molle belt.  The centralised zip allows for quick suiting up and removal, and it feels a lot more comfortable than the Warrior compact ricas vest I bought three years ago. 

Functionally it is the best loadout I have used, and as a side note, the best looking so far as well.

I've got a smersh on the way atm to go with my ruskie stuff, gonna be nice to wear hopefully.

@Skarclaw (or any other ruskie gear people) are there any mods wich are usually done to it like PLCE?

I haven't seen many mods just a variety of extra pouches (medic, radio etc.) in use on the standard AK setup. Some Russians use the buttpack as a back pack as its quicker to drop than when attached to the belt.  Only mod that springs to mind was some svd pouches with grenade pouches removed. Mine fits real well and it doesn't flap about much, I use it for AK's, SVD  and m16 too. I use a ALICE canteen cover as some Russian's do their was a surplus shop near the Chechen border :) and either a Makarov or M9 holster. 

SMERSH or a simple chi-com chest rig are my most used gear for skirmishing.

SMERSH over time : http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=22380.0

Try a split front chest rig, if you need to get prone for an extended period you can unbuckle or unzip it and splay it out to your sides. A sniper friend that also airsoft's uses a Split Front 1961 that is the same rig he deploys with and does exactly that. It seems to work really well and I have been thinking of getting a split front for that exact reason.

Archived