Bullet shaped bb's

Inq Eisenhorn

I have seen threads on other sites but not on this one mentioning Dimples,while they have bee tried in the past things move on.

I long for time when will have 3d printer that print all our Skirmishing the night before we need it.

So, your going to print out your own BB's the night before a game, that sounds like a perfectly cost effective way of getting accuracy at games :rolleyes:  

Gav.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, your going to print out your own BB's the night before a game, that sounds like a perfectly cost effective way of getting accuracy at games :rolleyes:  

Gav.

In the near future maybe.

How about I make my own filliment from recycled plastic !lol

Im not just talking about printing the ammo!How about the RIF aswell...

http://www.justpistols.co.uk/7mm.htm

What about these two guns using what appear to be pellet shaped ammo?

Ok they are springers but it would appear they have tried before, but perhaps it is like the 8mm ammo that Marushin do, it just won't really catch on?

'FireKnife'

problem with 8mm bbs is the difference between them and 6mm is bigger than what some people think

6mm bb
Volume = 113 mm3
Area = 113 mm2

8mm bb
Volume = 268 mm3
Area = 201 mm2

It's inly 2mm difference in diameter, but that translates to over double the amount of internal volume, this means you need to go over 0.40g on an 8mm in order to get some sort of parity with a normal 0.20g 6mm bb with regards to density.

The proportion of volume to surface area does suggest some possible advantage for 8mm, but I would suspect that the advantage could only be exploited if you lurch into super heavyweight 8mm bb territory

Not airsoft, but people might be interested in this:

There have been non-spherical, long range paintballs for quite some time. These were mostly restricted to MIL/LE applications, but in the last few years have become more readily available since a company called Tiberius Arms started producing them specifically for paintball players.

Essentially, it's a paintball with a skirt. The skirt causes the "First Strike" round to rotate, giving it much further range and accuracy than a traditional paintball.

Product in question: $40 for 100 rounds.
http://www.discountpaintball.com/Tiberius-Arms-First-Strike-Paintballs-8-Round-Tube--White-Fill_p_4315.html?gdftrk=gdfV24524_a_7c1800_a_7c5685_a_7c900_d_630_d_00804&gclid=CNqh2Pz9wLYCFYI-MgodV0sAAA

Sniping with First Strikes

HPIM4366_1.jpg

Skirted airsoft projectiles and the apparatus to construct them.

All the testing in the world didn't solve them tumbling or flying all over the map. Hitting near the target was a cause for celebration never mind getting a group that could be measured.

To much mass in the wrong places is putting your CG to far back and I suspect that your ball's are not sitting dead center.

Fantastic effort but no cigar, I would go for a longer thinner skirt to try and move the CG forward.

If you can try and cut some grooves in the skirt at a shallow angle it might help impart some spin.

Cant we just stick to spherical balls as all good sports use round balls!

We might all end up playing with something akin to a nerf dart so this needs to stop now!

I like my balls round, smooth,rough or hairy but I deffo like em round....... 

First Strike information

Found that an interesting video, very enjoyable to watch. :D

Very accurate, but the parabola of the shots didn't seem much different from what we have in airsoft already. Sort of a lobbed trajectory at longer ranges - I checked the discount paintball link and it mentions backspin gimmicks that only change trajectory, which is what we seem to have in the First Strike ammunition anyway?

Found that an interesting video, very enjoyable to watch. :D

Very accurate, but the parabola of the shots didn't seem much different from what we have in airsoft already. Sort of a lobbed trajectory at longer ranges - I checked the discount paintball link and it mentions backspin gimmicks that only change trajectory, which is what we seem to have in the First Strike ammunition anyway?

Longitudinal axis rotation not backspin is improving the stability.

I believe its the projectiles sideways deviation that needs to be addressed mainly?

Longitudinal axis rotation not backspin is improving the stability.

I believe its the projectiles sideways deviation that needs to be addressed mainly?

Did you watch the video? You can clearly see the parabolic path the .68 paintball takes and it is lobbed just like a BB at longer range onto the target -- I'm not sure on the relative differences in velocity, but just my observations on the video the parabola is even more pronounced with the paintball (which suggests that the velocity is lower than with a BB, given size and mass of a paintball this is unsurprising). Regardless of the method for stabilising the shot, the result is the same - which is what I was getting at. 

Check the video again if you've not already seen it, the shots had very little sideways deviation. 

Also did you copypasta the bit about longitudinal axis rotation? The font is a different size to the rest of your post. ;)

I admire your calibrated eyes; being able to calculate mass from a single photograph is surely a talent that will take you far.

The BBs aren't mine. They were made by a very clever chap who has made other airsoft products that were sold far and near. He was clever enough not to build them with a heavy skirt.

To much mass in the wrong places is putting your CG to far back and I suspect that your ball's are not sitting dead center.

Fantastic effort but no cigar, I would go for a longer thinner skirt to try and move the CG forward.

If you can try and cut some grooves in the skirt at a shallow angle it might help impart some spin.

Cant we just stick to spherical balls as all good sports use round balls!

We might all end up playing with something akin to a nerf dart so this needs to stop now!

I like my balls round, smooth,rough or hairy but I deffo like em round....... 

I admire your calibrated eyes; being able to calculate mass from a single photograph is surely a talent that will take you far.

The BBs aren't mine. They were made by a very clever chap who has made other airsoft products that were sold far and near. He was clever enough not to build them with a heavy skirt.

Thanks your right,my eyes are highly calibrated and yes its a very handy talent.

Hes not as clever as you might think as otherwise they might of has a better CG and they might even of worked!

Did you watch the video? You can clearly see the parabolic path the .68 paintball takes and it is lobbed just like a BB at longer range onto the target -- I'm not sure on the relative differences in velocity, but just my observations on the video the parabola is even more pronounced with the paintball (which suggests that the velocity is lower than with a BB, given size and mass of a paintball this is unsurprising). Regardless of the method for stabilising the shot, the result is the same - which is what I was getting at. 

Check the video again if you've not already seen it, the shots had very little sideways deviation. 

Also did you copypasta the bit about longitudinal axis rotation? The font is a different size to the rest of your post. ;)

We can and do ajust for parabloic paths as they are  generally very consistent,but SIDEWAYS drift is what we are trying to reduce! lol

http://www.justpistols.co.uk/7mm.htm

What about these two guns using what appear to be pellet shaped ammo?

Plastic diabolo pellets?! WHERE? CAN? I? BUY? THESE? You do realise those (.25gs!) would quite literally settle the argument once and for all - they are the correct weight and construction for airsoft, and of the same design as air rifle pellets - they're perfect! The inaccuracy he's complaining about in the article is the same reason these:

HPIM4366_1.jpg

... are so horrendously inaccurate - you're shooting ammunition that is supposed to be spin-stabilised from unrifled barrels! Have a look here for what happens when you try to fire aspherical ammunition from non-rifled barrels.

Who writes your scripts?  Cheezburger Cat?

lol...

I know,im chuckling reading it but i hope you got the drift

Plastic diabolo pellets?! WHERE? CAN? I? BUY? THESE? You do realise those (.25gs!) would quite literally settle the argument once and for all - they are the correct weight and construction for airsoft, and of the same design as air rifle pellets - they're perfect! The inaccuracy he's complaining about in the article is the same reason these:

... are so horrendously inaccurate - you're shooting ammunition that is supposed to be spin-stabilised from unrifled barrels! Have a look here for what happens when you try to fire aspherical ammunition from non-rifled barrels.

Your Swerves alto ego! A1+

I wonder what would happen if we added rifling to those pellet bbs, like a rifled slug....

10deepslug.jpg

Probably too expensive to produce....

At this point in time...Maybe.

I made the same point about rifled slugs but....

I hope that the 3D PRINTERS that have a gas feed stock make it into the outside world.

3D printing BBs is fine for prototyping, but never going to happen for production. BBs (even weird, complex BBs) are simple, one-piece solid forms. They're pretty much the definition of 'injection moulded'. 3D printing is expensive, time-consuming, and has nowhere near the fine-detail needed to produce finished BBs. If you're going to 3D print them and then polish them to get the requisite finish, why not just mould them in the first place and save enormous sums of money?

... are so horrendously inaccurate - you're shooting ammunition that is supposed to be spin-stabilised from unrifled barrels! Have a look here for what happens when you try to fire aspherical ammunition from non-rifled barrels.

Your Swerves alto ego! A1+

:huh:

I'm sorry, spell it out - what are you trying to say?

Archived