Field knife help

Tw1tch

First off, I don't want arguments to crop up like "You don't need a field knife, its just a game", I am keen on getting into the longer milsims that run and feel a field knife could be appropriate.

But I need some assistance in choosing a suitable field knife, based on some criteria:

Fixed blade

Full Tang

3-6 inch blade

Ideally sourced from the UK

Clip or spear point preferred, unless Tanto offers a serious advantage I'm unaware of

Most likely Stainless Steel

MOLLE sheath, if it doesn't come with one a suitable secure sheath will need to be recommended alongside

Cheers guys

Would recommend the Gerber LMF myself, used to have a couple. Just bear in mind some sites won't allow fixed blade knifes. In which case I would recommend a CRKT M16 -14D.

Already got a folder in the Gerber Hinderer CLS, though its a locking knife.

http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/168/products_id/733

I have the older version of this and it's still a fantastic knife! While the sheath may not be molle, you can actually tuck it behind a utility pouch with the belt clip attached to a bit of the molle webbing and it will hold there perfectly fine. Not only that, but it doesn't break the bank either.

I will say a Mora too.

Cheap, reliable, and doesn't matter if you break or lose it. Bloody sharp from the factory too. Go for stainless steel, unless you look after a carbon one, it will develop rust spots.

Not tactical looking either, so more steeple friendly.

Tanto blades are designed for stabbing, there is no need for one in the real world :)

so long as u have the site owners permission, then airsofting is an excellent reason to have a useful knife and/or multitool on you

with ur criteria, my recommendation would be http://heinnie.com/Knives/Mora-Knives/860mg-Companion/p-0-92-304-7549/

that particular mora is stainless and inexpensive, it's not molle compatable afaik. if needed u can easily tape the sheath to your gear

heinnies used to do free shipping and most stuff arrives next day if ordered before 4pm

I think about £120 for the knife tops.

Been looking at some knives on the SOG site, but unfortunately their UK page isn't up currently. The Gerber LMF looks like it might be a winner, as I'm happy with my other Gerber knife and it fits my criteria (and has a handy hole for a lanyard too).

Cheers guys.

SOG Seal 2000 is a nice knife, very heavy and way too much knife for a skirmish field, I have used mine as a crowbar and hammer more often than for cutting.

SOG Seal pup maybe more like it...

but for a field knife (mainly for camping and fishing etc) I use a Mora, carbon steel version is very very sharp and just needs wiping over with vaseline before

being stored to avoid rust spots.

Thread on Brititsh blades recommended a really simple and effective sharpening technique using a board with a sheet of wet and dry paper attached (with double sided tape)

3 grades from medium to very fine, this gets the blade to a shaving edge very quickly and is simple to use in the field.

I paid £10 for mine a few years back and it is still going strong, the sheath is simple but effective, dishwasher safe (yup its polymer) fits on a belt or neck cord.

Other sheaths are available just check ebay.

The back edge of the blade gives a lovely spark from a firesteel (stainless one not so good for this) if that isnt a handy bonus I dont know what is!

Jim

Funnily enough the SEAL pup was one of the knives I was looking at, nothing to do with the unit loadout I'm going with (A good knife is more important than a pretty knife, plus it'll be in its sheath unless its needed).

Annother vote for the Mora line.

I used one for quite a while. eventualy "upgraded" and got myself a SOG (NW ranger 2), but frankly, the only advantage it has is the added "shiny factor". in practical terms, the only thing wrong with the mora was the sheath wasn't the most secure, and that was easily fixed with a bit of bicyle inner tube.

Or even get yourself a mora and get a kydex sheath made. You'll still come out on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I hi-jack this thread for a brief moment to ask where the law lies on folders vs lockers? I've heard you can get into far more trouble for a locking knife? Pertinent to me as the knife I carry at skirmishes and at work it a locker with a 4 inch blade (also has handy Phillips and flat head screwdrivers on the other side of the handle which also lock =D)

cheers all.

In the most basic of terms, unless the blade is under 3" in length and does not lock, it's illegal in a public place. Gravity / automatic opening / butterfly / push knives are illegal to own.

Locking (or fixed) blade knives are legal provided you can convince whoever arrests you with it you've got good reason to have it.

As an example, a leatherman wave needs a reason to carry as the blade locks. I only know one person who has been done for having one on them (bumped up trespass to burglary charges) but the odd thing is, the guy with him had a Gerber Suspension (also has a locking blade) and nothing was said about it.

I keep a Gerber suspension in my car, the multitool aspect of it has meant it has been bloody useful on more than one occasion. I know I'll have to explain it and justify it being there in my car if stopped by the police but that shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't really be able to justify having my OKC aircrew rescue knife in the car though!

Archived