Field knife help

Tw1tch

I'd love to know the reason for it. I'd always assumed it was that it's more dangerous for the user to stab someone with it but to me that is completely outweighed by the fact that 99.99% of use will be correctly as a tool where the safety of a locking blade would be nice and if you're carrying a knife as a weapon, you probably don't care about the law already.

Reason? This is the British government we're talking about here. When has reason ever been required?

Also, bet you didn't know there's no age restrictions on buying a sub 3" non-locking folder, like a Swiss army knife.

Not that any shop would, but still.

Also iirc, the locking thing came about during a Court case where somebody argued successfully that an open and locked locking folder was for all intents and porpoises identical to a fixed blade, and so set a legal precedent for it...

Plus if you look at any of the police "look at us we've taken all these knives off the streets !" News reports all you see is a table full of poundstretcher kitchen knives and market stall specials , you'll be hard pressed to find a single 'quality' knife there .

Any hoo back on topic I still say get a Mora knife (as do many others!) pound for pound still the best outdoor knives on the market .

The law is that you must have a reasonable reason for carrying any locking knife or a fixed knife. The reason for the locking part is that a knife that locks is considered a fixed blade. 

Under UK law you are allowed to carry a sub 3 inch folding knife for no reason at all, however if you start waving it about etc, it can be defined as an offensive weapon. Anything over 3 inches follows the same rules about having a reasonable reason. 

Eg going camping, forestry worker, chef should all be reasonable reasons. Obviously carrying your chefs knife into a night club or out shopping isn't, but on your way to or from work is, this is all down to interpretation by the officer you meet and the court should it go that far. This is designed to be a grey area so that people can legally go about their business carrying suitable tools, yet they can target people carrying them as weapons. 

Archived