Airsoft Systems Gen3 ASCU and ASHU review

Well I just checked the manual that came with the ASCU. 

Quote from it: "The ASCU has an integrated Low Drain Protection, which is specially designed to keep LiPo batteries from damage."

There are not a lot of ways you can understand that quote. As I understood it, you do not have to disconnect your Lipo battery because it has Low Drain Protection. There is nowhere in the manual stated that you have to disconnect your battery to prevent it from being completely drained. 

P.S. still no word from them.

The ascu does have low drain protection but My understanding of this statement is that it is when in normal use, ie whist being used within a game. If the ascu detects the battery power is getting too low it stops the gun functioning giving you the chance to take off the worn out battery and recharge it before it is permanently damaged. I have never ever thought it meant "leave a battery connected it'll be fine". There's no off switch on the ascu so if you leave a battery connected it WILL drain it. You won't be able to fire the gun as the MOSFET will have detected insufficient power to cycle the gearbox so it won't allow it to happen.

Just my 2p anyway. More on topic though, looks like I'll be leaving the ASCU III's off the wish list then! Might go and get a bundle of the older gen2 ones. I know they work really well.

An update - it has been one month and 3 e-mails to Airsoft Systems. Zero replies. I contacted the reseller Gunfire.pl who said that since they did not do the install of the unit, they can not help me and suggested that I contact with Airsoft Systems directly. Nice little circle - isn`t it. 

Btw - anyone interested in the unit I will sell mine for as little/much as I can get for it. The only thing "broken" in the ASHU + ASCU combo is the microswitch that goes under the bolt lock. The cabling and the units themselves are in working order. Though I could not get the ASHU hopup chamber to give good performance in my Lonex, it might work ok in other AEG-s. 

P.S. You should check out their FB page. It is getting kind of hard finding any positive comments in all the negative that is going on up there. 

• 2 weeks later...

ASCU

fitted them to three rifles G&P M16a1 with CYMA GB, WE M4, and G&P XM177E2.

All installed well with a small amount of modification to the cyma selector plate (not tm spec) As long as your careful and follow the instructions They go in with ease. The only issue I had is the occasional missed shot on semi when really hammering the trigger. My ASCU V2 on the other hand never drops a shot.

ASHU

This is a little more tricky, but any good tech should be able to fit it. The main issue is the hop allows the rubber to sit too far back in the unit causing jams. If you moddify the C clip to allow the barrel to sit more forward and apply a good few wraps of PTFE to the rubber (not a great fit without it) it all works fine. The ammo sensor doesn't always pick up an empty mag on full auto because the two BB's between the nozzle and switch jump about just enough to give a false reading. I found fitting an non vented piston head and standard nozzle (cross hole type) causes enough vacuum in the chamber to "hoover up" the offending rounds.

As with all airsoft upgrades designed to fit a wide selection of gearboxes it takes a little fettling to fit each gun. A good upgrade in my opinion but not a good idea to fit unless your very well versed in gun work.

I can try and get some pics up if really needed

Thanks

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden by cazboab, June 27, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by cazboab, June 27, 2013 - No reason given

Just got one fitted and I can't say I'm impressed the tigger respone las for some reason , I'm Gunnar put a high torque motor in and see what happens

A computerized MOSFET like ASCU, BTC etc does not give a faster trigger response. The pull-to-shot time is actually longer, because of braking.

Edited by jal3
Posted (edited) · Hidden by crackisbad, June 21, 2013 - poster request
Hidden by crackisbad, June 21, 2013 - poster request

A computerized MOSFET like ASCU, BTC etc does not give a faster trigger response. The pull-to-shot time is actually longer, because of braking.

Not true. The BTC FETs have braking disabled by default and also includes a precocking feature for instantaneous trigger response.

Edited by Blacktalon
Posted (edited) · Hidden by cazboab, June 27, 2013 - No reason given

I'm happy for you that you disable that feature on your product by default, but that does not make my statement wrong. Computerized MOSFETS does not give a faster pull-to-shot time. If you disable AB it still just gives power to the motor.

Your precocking feature...well just like AB, it can be on and off. That sort of stuff is usually off by default.

And that's if it works. There certainly was mixed opinions about it when your product was called AWS.

Btw, you never answered our questions about supply and logistics. Is it the same person handling it? Can we expect the same level of supply stability as with Raptor AWS? Which you discontinued in less time than the warranty period in EU.

:)

Edited by jal3
Posted (edited) · Hidden by crackisbad, June 21, 2013 - poster request

I'm happy for you that you disable that feature on your product by default, but that does not make my statement wrong. Computerized MOSFETS does not give a faster pull-to-shot time. If you disable AB it still just gives power to the motor.

Your precocking feature...well just like AB, it can be on and off. That sort of stuff is usually off by default.

You said "Computerized MOSFETS does not give a faster pull-to-shot time".

I said FETs with precocking active DO give a faster trigger response so your statement is still not true. Just because I give the user the option to turn it on/off doesn't change the fact that the FET is still fully capable of providing a faster trigger response at the user's command. :) 

And that's if it works. There certainly was mixed opinions about it when your product was called AWS.

If I recall correctly, the precocking on the AWS FETs tried to automatically calculate/guess the best precocked position, which didn't work 100% of the time. But on the BTC FETs the users have full control over the amount of time to precock the piston and has proven to be ALWAYS consistent, so yes it does work perfectly! (and you saw a video of it too)

Btw, you never answered our questions about supply and logistics. Is it the same person handling it? Can we expect the same level of supply stability as with Raptor AWS? Which you discontinued in less time than the warranty period in EU.

Not really an appropriate set of questions to be asking in this thread...and I did already answer your question regarding the supply level. I believe I mentioned that I will attempt to have a batch of at least 500+ units coming in every month or two. At least 10 other companies are involved in the supply and logistics (not a "person") so minor delays are always a possibility.

I was not involved in the discontinuation of the AWS Raptor and was not a part of AWS when that happened. Then again, it's not uncommon for a product to become obsolete and discontinued in less than two years and AWS did keep the warranty support going for an additional year after they closed.

To avoid trashing this thread any further, PM me instead if you have anymore questions like these. :)

Edited by Blacktalon
Posted · Hidden by cazboab, June 27, 2013 - No reason given

You're right about the precocking bit, my statement was too broad and i apologize for that. Being adjustable, it should definately work better in practise.

Thank you for explaining about the company.

The reason i ask is because i have experience with the raptor mosfets / AWS brand, which were constantly delayed or out of stock. It makes it frustrating for mechanics because we can not reliably guarantee a finished product to customers.

More on PM.

Posted · Hidden by crackisbad, June 21, 2013 - poster request

Just got one fitted and I can't say I'm impressed the tigger respone las for some reason , I'm Gunnar put a high torque motor in and see what happens

When you say "trigger lag", are you talking about an noticeable increase in the pull-to-shot time? Or that some of the trigger pulls are not getting read on rapid semi fire?

The latter appears to be a known issue with the Gen3. Airsoft System's official response is to send it back for reprogramming so I'm assuming they've managed to fix the issue. If so, you should contact them to have yours reprogrammed too.

Higher voltage battery, weaker spring, DSG gearset, high speed gearset, or high speed motor. Anything that increases RoF will improve trigger response.

Also a rewire to heavier gauge wiring can help massively in some guns , the battery can only deliver the higher ampage to the motor if the cabling can carry it .

Edited by Baddbaz