Bombs have gone off in Boston marathon

Baddbaz

I'm sure it seems just as bizarre to people all over the world watching british people 'celebrating' in the streets and drinking champagne at the death of a frail old lady who had to make difficult decisions at a difficult time for the country.

/thread

Let's drop that line of discussion now, along with the clearly nonsensical conspiracy stuff, please.

Unless of course, that request makes me part of the lizard-man plot.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

police scanners are not a reliable source of information.

lol @ "weapon of mass destruction" - they would of had better luck using a bushmaster rifle!

edit:

how did I only just discover that arnies has an ironic us flag!?

got to get it out my system now!

:usflag:

I think the explosion at the industrial facility in texas deserved a lot more news coverage than it's gotten thus far.

Either way, a lot of innocent people died during the whole event; I don't really care about anything else at this precise point in time.  But then I'm old fashioned like that.

I think the explosion at the industrial facility in texas deserved a lot more news coverage than it's gotten thus far.

Either way, a lot of innocent people died during the whole event; I don't really care about anything else at this precise point in time.  But then I'm old fashioned like that.

National news isn't commenting on it a lot, but the local news stations (even for us who don't live near Texas) are giving updates. It's just the major national networks that are hooked on the bombing.

to an extent yeah - although the boston bombings were an attack rather then an accident, and there was also the police lockdown and shootout and yadda yadda. Its more newsworthy but it's also over a bit more quickly + terrorism is a bit more complex and ongoing.

If you want to talk woeful under-reportage, how about op fernbridge ;)

I'd imagine most of our news outlets are too busy writing up stories about some tripe that happened on whatever reality talent show is currently disgracing our airwaves.  I've got a screenshots saved here of the BBC site with a huge banner for some BS about strictly-come-dancing, tiny little entry way underneath it about a service member lost in Afghanistan.

People love to use the freshly laid soil of victim's graves as nice, bouncy springboards for their (generally unoriginal) opinions these days it seems.  Or worse they flick over channels on their 52" Plasmas as soon as the news comes on, because there's some *suitcase* soap opera on the other side and they somehow lack the ability to recognise the fact that not a single one of the cast have even the slightest hint of acting talent.  Then once that's done, go back to moaning they can't afford a bigger TV or any more shell suits and that you can't get clothing in any more than 100% polyester.  Probably play some online bingo, sort out how best to waste their benefits money on fags and alcohol and then come up with a plan for suing anybody they possibly can by faking an injury, before taking out a short-term loan at 1486% APR to cover more of their bingo debts.

Just generally ranting at issues in society and the way so many seem to have their priorities setup in a disturbing order.  New iWhatever first, everything else comes later.

Even 11/11 isn't sacred these days, to 'muslim' extremeists and ignorant brits alike.  As I say this is probably an old-fashioned view to many but I think the dead (across all current events stories) are receiving a distinct lack of respect of late.  Not telling people what they should think, just airing my thought.

So, in light of the strange decision to not read the suspect his rights before questioning him even though the exemption is aimed at situations where the public is in danger, when that has clearly passed, and they seem to want to be able to use that stuff in a trial later on; and not to mention the talk of declaring an American citizen an 'enemy combatant' by the Republican party, I thought I'd put this quote here as I've always found it rather admirable:

London is not a battlefield. Those innocents who were murdered...were not victims of war. And the men who killed them were not, as in their vanity they claimed on their ludicrous videos, 'soldiers'. They were deluded, narcissistic inadequates. They were criminals. They were fantasists. We need to be very clear about this. On the streets of London there is no such thing as a war on terror. The fight against terrorism on the streets of Britain is not a war. It is the prevention of crime, the enforcement of our laws, and the winning of justice for those damaged by their infringement.

Personally, statements like that, seem far more reassuring to members of the public than talk by politicians and political parties of declaring their own citizens 'enemy combatants' before a full investigation has even managed to take place, and motives ascertained; and the denial of fundamental legal rights that are centuries old.

I'm surprised the *fruitcage* hasn't already come out with some gushing about multi-faith harmony! 

I'm sure Gir will put us straight and tell us that there were LOADS of wmds we just haven't been able to find them yet though

Hans Blix didn't seem to have much of a hard time finding them... Violation of a cease fire is grounds for war. Here's the report, for your reading pleasure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/feb/14/iraq.unitednations1

Anyways, I'm pretty dissapointed in many aspects of how the suspect is being handled, after we have connected the dots with his connection to groups worldwide. I'm gonna back out of this "bash America" type of conversation, because my "screaming banshee" views are pretty obviously not welcomed here. Back into hiding!

National news isn't commenting on it a lot, but the local news stations (even for us who don't live near Texas) are giving updates. It's just the major national networks that are hooked on the bombing.

National and International news agencies on Twitter are giving updates on the Texas explosion too.

He was advised of his rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22257451

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders  IE people are believing every news report without question.

Haven't they stated that he won't be tried as an enemy combatant? Pretty sure I've not long heard that on the good old BBC.

I referenced talk of it by Republican politicians, not that he was going to be. Also, the BBC had reported that the White House refused this so your conspiracy there falls flat.

The bomber in custody, the younger brother, IS a US citizen - although there's been talk of revoking it. His elder brother's citizenship was the one that was rejected.

As for 'one of the classic blunders', the US Justice Department confirmed days ago that they would delay reading his Miranda rights under the public safety exemption, as I said in my post. The public safety exemption doesn't mean the suspect is never read his rights, but that law enforcement are able to question him without advising him of his rights for ~24-48 hours, and then read him his rights. By all accounts, this is exactly what the FBI did (as they had said they would do) until the Magistrate advised him of his Miranda rights.

See:

Justice department officials said that in an effort to "gain critical intelligence", they decided to question Mr Tsarnaev "extensively" before giving him the so-called "Miranda" warning of his right to remain silent and to have a lawyer present during questioning.

The magistrate judge present at the bedside arraignment later advised Mr Tsarnaev of his rights and of the charges against him.

The Miranda warning comes from a 1966 Supreme Court ruling that protects suspects from involuntary self-incrimination. If prosecutors want to use at trial statements made by a defendant in custody, law enforcement officials must first have advised them of their rights.

However, justice department officials relied on a 1984 Supreme Court ruling that established an exception allowing prosecutors to use statements made by a defendant prior to the Miranda warning in response to questions from law enforcement officials about an immediate threat to the public, such as a bomb.

A federal judge recently upheld the government's right to use such statements as direct evidence in the case of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a Nigerian man who was sentenced to life in prison for trying to blow up a Detroit-bound flight on 25 December 2009. He confessed to a nurse and spoke freely to FBI agents before being read the Miranda warning.

So, less of the snide remarks about believing stuff without question. :rolleyes:

Edit:

I'm gonna back out of this "bash America" type of conversation, because my "screaming banshee" views are pretty obviously not welcomed here. Back into hiding!

I don't see any more posts like that, mostly people just seem to be disagreeing with you now.

My post isn't really meant to call out any particular member or country but more to comment on the media frenzy that springs up around these incidents. When there is no news innuendo and rumor become fact. It's seized upon by the public and can't be undone.

In the first few hours they'll say "we don't know anything". But after that the speculation runs rampant and no news organization will pass up a report that's shaky if their completion is reporting it. They are more worried about being last to report than being right.

My post isn't really meant to call out any particular member or country but more to comment on the media frenzy that springs up around these incidents. When there is no news innuendo and rumor become fact. It's seized upon by the public and can't be undone.

In the first few hours they'll say "we don't know anything". But after that the speculation runs rampant and no news organization will pass up a report that's shaky if their completion is reporting it. They are more worried about being last to report than being right.

Fair point.

Just in case anyone's interested, here's a bunch of the reports that ended up in my inbox over it (some of the later ones give a decent enough time line of the pursuit, most of it most likely already reported by news agencies though):

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 2259 GMT 15 APR 2013

LINE 2 - LOCATION: Boston, MA, USA

LINE 3 - SITUATION: Two people have been killed and at least 115 injured in two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in the United States.

LINE 4 - DATE: 15 APR 2013

LINE 5 - INFORMATION: The first explosion came at about 14:50 local time (18:50 GMT), approximately two hours after the winners crossed the line. A third incident occurred at the city's JFK Library and was concluded to be unconnected.

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

The first explosion occurred on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the finish line. The second occurred a few seconds later a few hundred meters beyond the first, along the same street.

Currently, law enforcement is searching for a darker skinned or black male with a black backpack and black sweatshirt.

Possible foreign national from the accent of the individual.

Five minutes before the first explosion this individual was attempted to gain entry to a restricted area.

When turned away, he broke eye contact and pulled his sweatshirt hood over his head.

No further info on him.

Additionally, law enforcement is looking for a yellow Penske box truck that tried to gain access with "medical supplies" approximately 1 hr after the explosion.

The Federal Aviation Administration has created a no-fly zone over the area, while security at key sites in Washington DC and New York has been tightened.

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

The devices, based on examination of post-strike video, appear to have been small and may have been concealed in small bags or boxes. The size of the device can be judged by the lack of structural damage to the windows and buildings adjacent to the blast sites. The smoke seen after detonation was consistent with the results of a low-velocity improvised explosive mixture, perhaps something like flash powder or a sugar chlorate mixture. Based on the relatively small number of casualties and the types of wounds caused, it is likely that the attackers packed the devices with nails or other improvised shrapnel.

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 1330 GMT 16 APR 2013

LINE 3 - SITUATION:

Three killed and at least 152 injured in two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in the United States. Following is an update on investigation status.

LINE 4 - DATE: 16 APR 2013

LINE 5 - INFORMATION:

Only two IEDs detonated. Reports from news media of more undetonated devices was false and likely due to many unattended bags left at the scene.

POI (Person Of Interest) who is a Saudi citizen in Revere, MA (suburb of Boston) on student visa was interviewed and his apartment searched last night / early this morning. He was in the hospital for injuries sustained by shrapnel to his lower extremities. He is in protective custody.

- reported yesterday that authorities were search was for a dark skinned / black male in sweatshirt / hoodie carrying backpack(s) who is also supposedly a Saudi national or other Arab (perhaps Somali) student. This has turned out to be a solid lead and authorities continue the search for this POI.

Authorities were also searching for a yellow Penkse truck. Search continues.

Media reports of "ball bearings" used in the construction of the device was false. Devices were placed in trash bins, likely resulting in shrapnel reported by first responders / med techs.

The device appears to have been constructed using black powder and its construction has been described as "crude".

Reports of device at JFK Library was unconnected to BM-15APR attack.

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

Media will, and has, breathlessly "analyzed" the events of yesterday's attack and come up with "experts" and retired LEOs. Theories and conclusions have been reached that have turned out to be false, along with supposed facts that turned out to be incorrect as well (ball bearings, for example).

The 24 hour news cycle places a demand for new information, causing many to sloppily report information as fact when it is not.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Remember the old saying, "No truth in the news; no news in the truth."

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

Expect a torrent of media reports to come out about the cause of the injuries, construction of the device, state of the investigation, origin of the attackers, followed by talking heads on TV who will claim inside knowledge.

It is important that no one rush to a conclusion - and that includes the media and their experts. Federal and local authorities will provide information as soon as they have it locked and solidified.

In the meantime, maintain situational awareness in your area and report to local LEA anything that doesn't fit the pattern you are accustomed to observing on a daily basis.

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 1745 GMT 17 APR 2013

LINE 3 - SITUATION:

Possible suspect identified by authorities in 15 APR 2013 attack.

LINE 4 - DATE: 17 APR 2013

LINE 5 - INFORMATION:

Authorities have identified a possible suspect spotted on a video surveillance camera.

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

The surveillance camera was located at Lord & Taylor department store across the street from the second attack attack site on Boylston Street.

The suspect was seen carrying, and possibly dropping, a black bag at the site of the second attack outside the Forum restaurant.

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

No further information is available at this time related to the possible suspect.

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 0930 GMT 19 APR 2013

LINE 2 - LOCATION: Watertown, MA, USA

LINE 3 - SITUATION:

Suspect #1 (on left below) is dead; Suspect #2 (on right) at-large.

LINE 4 - DATE: 19 APR 2013

LINE 5 - INFORMATION:

• 2030hrs - police received reports of a robbery of a 7/11 convenience store in Kendall Square near MIT.
  • A few minutes later, an MIT police officer, who has not been identified, was shot multiple times while in his cruiser at Main and Vassar streets, near Building 32. The officer died of his wounds at Massachusetts General Hospital. 
  • A short time later, two men carjacked a Mercedes SUV at gunpoint. The owner of that car was reportedly able to flee at a gas station on Memorial Drive.
  • The SUV proceeded out Memorial Drive toward Watertown followed by a long train of police vehicles in pursuit.
  • It is reported that the suspects threw explosives at police during the pursuit. 
  • At one point during the pursuit, the two suspects opened fire on Watertown police and a Transit Police officer, who was shot and who is now in critical condition at a Boston-area hospital this morning.
  • During the gunfight, the man known as Marathon suspect #1 (wearing black hat in FBI photos) was wounded.
  • 0120 hrs - He was taken into custody and died at (0135hrs)  at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston from multiple gunshot wounds to the upper torso and to apparent blast trauma injuries (burns, glass fragments and blast damage).
  • Suspect #2 is on the move. A manhunt is underway, believed centered in the Watertown area, 8 miles west of Boston.
  • Police are telling residents of Watertown to stay indoors unless.
  • Police are further telling anyone who works in the 480 Arsenal Street area to remain home and not come to work today. The area has a large shopping mall and industrial area.
  • No travel will be allowed in Watertown area.
  • No business will be allowed to open in Watertown area. 
  • Boston Mass Transit Authority (MTA) has announced all operations suspended today (Friday, 19 APR 2013).
  • Additionally, the areas of Belmont, Newton, Waltham, Allston-Brighton area, Cambridge and Arlington are also being searched and residents told to remain indoors. 

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

This has evolved into a fugitive manhunt. Suspect #2 fled the vehicle and is presumed on foot.

However, this search could take a long time.

For example, hunt for Christopher Dorner in California took days after he was localized to the mountain area where only 400 homes were located.

Watertown has several thousand apartments and houses to search.

Two possibilities are that the (1) suspect car-jacked another vehicle and is not in the area, or that (2) he moved a residence and taken hostages, either possibility would increase the difficulty of the search.

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

Nature of the warnings to residents of Watertown suggests this to be the epicenter and that authorities have high confidence that the last remaining suspect (Suspect #2) has been localized to that area.

However, the expanded radius into the other areas allows police to be on the lookout for movement, in case the suspect has been able to escape Watertown.

Suspect being sought is reported last seen wearing a gray hoodie, has curly black hair and is a light skinned male.

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 1110 GMT 19 APR 2013

LINE 3 - SITUATION: Suspects are reported to be from Chechnya

LINE 5 - INFORMATION

Suspect #2 (shown above) is identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19.

The man is said to be from Russia's south, not far from the Chechen Republic.

The man reportedly lived in Turkey before arriving legally in the US about a year ago.

The name is listed among the recipients of Cambridge scholarships in 2011.

The second suspect is said to be his brother.

The two immigrated at least two years ago.

Both brothers are said to have Massachusetts drivers' licenses.

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

The southern Russian republic of Chechnya is surrounded on nearly all sides by Russian territory but also shares with neighboring Georgia a remote border high in the Caucasus mountains.

Chechens have been involved in a war with Russia for decades because they are primarily Islamic.

Radical Islamic Chechens have committed multiple terrorist acts against Russia, to include the 2004 Beslan School attack that killed 380; the Moscow Opera Theater siege in which 180 were killed.

Chechen fighters have been involved in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya and Syria.

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

This focuses the bombing as a foreign terrorist attack and not from home-grown terrorist.

The motivation for the attack is unknown, however the usual reasons given for attacking US interests abroad by radical islamist groups would likely apply.

Suspect is being sought in Watertown area.

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 1555 GMT 19 APR 2013

LINE 3 - SITUATION: Information is emerging about the lives of brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who are suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon. Following is a profile on them.

LINE 5 - INFORMATION

Tamerlan, 26, died in a shootout with police on Thursday night.

His 19-year-old younger brother, Dzhokhar, is still on the run in the Boston area, focus currently is on Watertown.

Residence - The brothers lived in the Massachusetts town of Cambridge, home of the prestigious Harvard University. They are thought to have been in the US since about 2001.

How they got to the US - The Tsarnaevs are believed to originally hail from the southern Russian republic on the border of Chechnya, a predominantly Muslim area that has fought for full independence from Russia. The youngest boy thought to be born in Dagestan. There have been other reports that the family lived in the Central Asian nation of Kyrgyzstan, and that they were refugees from Chechnya's conflict with Russia in the early 1990s.

Early life - Dzhokhar attended the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, and that in 2011 he received a scholarship awarded to promising local high school seniors wanting to pursue further education. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the 26 year old was an amateur boxer who had taken a semester off from the Bunker Hill Community College in Boston to train for a big competition. The older (deceased) brother was the subject of a photo essay that is available online at

http://johanneshirn.photoshelter.com/gallery/Will-Box-For-Passport/G0000VQW7v6xWA7o/

Religious affiliation - Muslim. Tamerlan (26, deceased) said that he is "very religious". He also said that he did not drink or smoke any more - "God said no alcohol" - and expressed concern that there were "no morals anymore".

Social media postings - Russian news agency RIA Novosti has reported that "extremist material" was on the YouTube account belonging to Tamerlan. "Several albums were posted, one of them titled 'terrorist'," the agency said.

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

What was the motivation? At this point, there are three points that can be used to speculate on a motive (1) place of origin in Chechnya, (2) religious affiliation with Islam, and (3) stated feeling of being disconnected to American society, feeling as though they "fit in".

Chechnya is known for separatist radical Islamists who battled Russian forces. As well, radical Islamist fighters from Chechnya have shown up in every major fight since 2001, to include Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya and Syria. Finally, Chechens have had strong connections with terrorist groups such as Al-Qa'ida. However, these two men are said to have spent ZERO time of any consequence in Chechnya as adults.

Islamic radicals have consistently attacked the US and western interests since 11 SEP 2001. To ignore this for politically correct reasons is shortsighted. It has to be considered.

Stating a feeling of disconnection intimates loneliness and disenfranchisement. These feelings could have inspired - and have in the past - the suspects to pursue actions against the state in order to have a feeling of "belonging" to something larger than themselves - an Islamic holy war against what they viewed as a place with no morals.

How did the FBI connect the dots so quickly? Victim Jeff Bauman, 27 yrs old, was in a wheelchair when one IED (bomb) detonated. Bauman was the first person in surgery at Boston Medical Center. He awoke, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, 'bag, saw the guy, looked right at me." He met with FBI special agents and gave them a detailed description of the suspect. While sifting through hours of footage could have taken weeks, the information allowed the FBI to release photos of the two suspects just three days after the attack.

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

Further information may be discovered about their motives and certainly if Suspect #2 is captured, his interrogation will shed more light on this.

The latest information from the scene in Watertown is

• LEA are currently hunting Suspect #2 who could possibly be rigged with an IED vest, officers have been told to use extreme caution.
  • LEA Tactical Teams are preparing to hit sites in Willow Park.
  • Three POIs (Persons of Interest) are in custody. It is not confirmed whether more suspects moved with suspect #2 or if they are aiding him in some way.
  • Controlled detonations to blow-in-place (BIP) and clear reported pipe-bomb IEDs at Charlesgate.

LINE 1 - TIME OF REPORT: 0045 GMT 20 APR 2013

LINE 3 - SITUATION: Suspect #2 apprehended in Watertown, MA at 2044hrs local time

LINE 5 - INFORMATION

Suspect #2 (Dzhokhar Tsarnaev) was apprehended while hiding in a covered boat parked on a trailer in the backyard of 67 Franklin Street, Watertown, MA (as seen below).

SWAT personnel surrounded the property, established a perimeter, lit the area with floodlights and began introducing gas and stun grenades.

BREAK // BREAK

In separate actions, while executing a search warrant in New Bedford, MA, the FBI took three people into custody (two males and a female) for questioning on Friday evening (19 Apr 2013).

LINE 6 - ANALYSIS:

The situation in Watertown developed into a barricaded suspect scenario. Once it turned into that, time was on the side of the authorities and they secured the area, sealed off any avenues of escape, got comfortable and waited him out.

Authorities deployed K9 elements as well as snipers to points allowing observation of the boat. Air assets (helos) with spotlights were covering the scene and negotiators made efforts to engage the suspect and talk him out.

LINE 7 - CONCLUSION:

With the capture of this suspect authorities can now begin the interrogation process in order to learn details on motivation for the attack, methodology, other associates who might have been involved in a support or active role.

Edit: we need one of those collapsible spoiler tags.

Hans Blix didn't seem to have much of a hard time finding them... Violation of a cease fire is grounds for war. Here's the report, for your reading pleasure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/feb/14/iraq.unitednations1

Anyways, I'm pretty dissapointed in many aspects of how the suspect is being handled, after we have connected the dots with his connection to groups worldwide. I'm gonna back out of this "bash America" type of conversation, because my "screaming banshee" views are pretty obviously not welcomed here. Back into hiding!

lol that is completely irrelevant - no wmds were found

have fun killing brown people whilst calling yourself a "patriot" - the tax payer will pick up the bill...

just about clever enough to pull a trigger - just about naive enough to believe the lies they fed you. bet the recruiters saw you coming...

Archived