Russian kit discussion

Soloman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should have never clicked on this thread :unsure:

I had intended not to spend a lot of money on gear (read; no more than the basics that I already have) and use most on guns... but... now I want to put together at least one Russian impression. All of these kits are really nice.

I have some questions, though. It seems most of this thread is dedicated to various VDV and MVD units, and not, for the most part, standard Russian Army units. This is what I'm more interested in portraying. The thing is... I'm not really sure how to go about this. I'd imagine I'd want a standard flora BDU, boots... other than that, I'm clueless. Would a regular Army unit be issued helmets? Body Armor? What kind of LBE would I want to go for? The Smersh and M23 look pretty attractive to me but again most information in this thread seems to be directed at VDV and MVD units and I'm not sure how common the aforementioned types would be among units that I'd imagine would receive more thinly stretched funding than these more elite organizations.

Sorry for all the questions, I've never been very interested in gear up to this point and now that I am I'm trying to suck up all the information I can. Unfortunately I just bought another AK so funds are kind've low at this point and I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to a buy initially beside flora. <_< But at least I'll have another AK within a few days.

Well, I would say that very few people pursue accurate modern VDV kits.

The problem with issued Russian gear is its distribution and sale is controlled by the state.

Export is difficult and when items can be sold abroad, the prices are ridiculous!

What year do you want your kit from? Also, do you have any units in mind? Different divisions are differently equipped.

If you look at pictures of the 58th Army from Georgia, you can see that the "standard" kit varied quite a bit across the board.

A good all around army kit for the late 90's until today would be flora uniform, 6b5, and Ssh-68 with an AK-74M.

I'd recommend looking at the thread on militaryphotos.net and then posting pictures you're interested in here or on Red-Alliance. Then I'm sure members will be able to identify gear you're interested in.

Well, I would say that very few people pursue accurate modern VDV kits.

The problem with issued Russian gear is its distribution and sale is controlled by the state.

Export is difficult and when items can be sold abroad, the prices are ridiculous!

What year do you want your kit from? Also, do you have any units in mind? Different divisions are differently equipped.

If you look at pictures of the 58th Army from Georgia, you can see that the "standard" kit varied quite a bit across the board.

A good all around army kit for the late 90's until today would be flora uniform, 6b5, and Ssh-68 with an AK-74M.

I'd recommend looking at the thread on militaryphotos.net and then posting pictures you're interested in here or on Red-Alliance. Then I'm sure members will be able to identify gear you're interested in.

Thanks!

Looks like I have some research to do. ;)

That Russian photos thread on MP.net is... pretty big! 914 pages!

340xvf9.jpg

Am I correct in thinking that the soldier holding the AK-74M in this picture is wearing flora, an Ssh 68 (or is that a newer kevlar helmet?) and an M22? Or is his vest body armor?

I'd prefer something that is NOT body armor, as even though I wouldn't mind wearing something that I imagine is heavy and restricts movement like that, I haven't found a price on 6b5 below $250 and I don't really want to spend that much on something so superfluous for airsoft. Not to appear cheap or anything ;)

If you look under the collar of the soldier you're talking about, he's got a telny!

These guys are VDV, so I'm not sure if you want to do an impression based on them.

Also, they're welling the new version kevlar helmets by NII Stali, the 6b26.

The armor on the left is definitely a flak vest, but he might be wearing it on top of even more armor. The guy on the left, I can't really tell he's too far back.

If you want an impression with a Splav munitions vest and an Ssh-68, it's totally doable. I'll be able to post some pictures, but it will be a bit since I'm home away from my computer. Just work your way through these threads:

Russian Military:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99988

Georgian 2008 Pics:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145019

You'll find what you're looking for :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed the telnyashka (sp?) after I posted. It seems that most infantrymen I've found were wearing body armor, or have a telnyashka poking out of their BDU or are wearing non-flora camouflage, which I've taken to be a sign that they are members of the MVD or VDV, though I'm not sure if that's a correct assumption.

Thanks for the link to the Russo-Georgian War thread, I was looking for one specifically for that conflict but could not seem to find one (nor a search bar...).

Found some other interesting pics...

Specifically the guy farthest right that's completely visible in this picture... (not sure what the guy next to him is doing?!)

610xbb7.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, he's wearing Flora, an M22 in some odd pattern I've never seen before, and the 6b26 kevlar helmet that was mentioned above?

Out of curiosity, what do the pins on his collar mean? And what kind of goggles is he wearing?

610xst6.jpg

This picture caught my eye as well... the man soldier closest to the camera and the one 4th from the left seem to be wearing the same chest rig, but I'm not sure what type it is (nor what camouflage pattern it is).

2769763345_374850ff1f.jpg

Thanks.

Archived