I’m not sure whether this type of airsoft gun should be in GAS guns thread or Tactical Equipment and Accessories so if I missed thread admin can correct me.

1fe4128d7c38.jpg

I've acquired this gun in the beginning of 2013 and there are not a lot of reviews even in Russian,  so I've decided to make mine both with pics and videos to give a better understanding what is it how it works.

So basically as all of you know quite some time ago ICS came out with their airsoft replica of Mikor 40 mm six-shot revolver-type grenade launcher which was developed by South Africa company and used by United States Marine Corps as M32 MGL to significantly increase a small squad's firepower. Unfortunately due to airsoft reality practical usage of it was extremely limited as it was able to work only with 40mm bb-shower grenades and was actually a huge shotgun rather than a grenade launcher. But as it was quite affordable I’ve seen some youtube reviews of it and some skirmishing videos using it as a shotgun. And as you have only 6 rounds in your cylinder your combatability is pretty low – it shoots fast and reloads too long. Plus you have to buy a lot of grenades and think where to keep additional on your gear.

43c2026e3ed5.jpg

5efdc6241683.jpg

In the beginning of 2012 a Moscow based retailer announced a special product with was called ICS GLM TAG Edition and in the beginning it was available exclusively in this particular shop. The grenade launcher was heavily modified by TAG Innovation to make it work with their 40mm shells and grenades initially designed for Classic Army GP-30, CA M203 Short and Madbull XM203 Extended grenade launchers. It sounds a bit weird but the shorter barrel the launcher has the more stable the projectile will fly. It’s caused by the fact almost all widely available grenade launchers do not have rifling inside the barrel, consequently after the grenade leaves the shell it has decent friction with launcher barrel sides, slows down, becomes unstable and flies wobbling in the air. The grenades itself and shells were available on Russian market since 2009 (incorporated with Strikeforce retailer), but I never seen them in usage and just heard some rumors. The price of modified grenade launcher is about 12000 Rub in Moscow ($400) comparing to 8000 Rub ($270) for a standard version. The changes were made to provide initially full-plastic gun with some robustness and to adjust and tune it and make sure that it will work with TAG Inn. products with no issues whatsoever. To start playing with TAG Innovation grenades you have to get a launcher which will work with their shells and one or several like GLM case shells which cost 3700Rub or $120 each and some grenades for 1900Rub ($60) for 10 frag-bb or smoke grenades and 720Rub ($23) for a pack of 10 training/marking powder grenades. So in my case the whole package of ICS (Elsoldado) GLM + 6 shells + some grenades to start with was about 42000Rub or $1360 and that is not very affordable as you have to spend cash every single time you use it and it’s not like with nonexistent electricity cost you spend to charge you aeg battery and $15 for several thousand of bbs.

99f3830173e6.jpg

5e4b93520ec9.jpg

24999a758d6d.jpg

68fc6e4fbba9.jpg

525b4952891d.jpg

c1ca2b0de750.jpg

30592f65c64d.jpg

93c619cfcfb2.jpg

db508c36d09a.jpg

72dd73075f4b.jpg

b673757ab3eb.jpg

You can easily distinguish TAG GLM from its basic version by the fact it has no barrel at all. TAG Innovation made an aluminum CNC-ed RIS front hand guard and stock pipe mounting part. Internally the cylinder was filed and polished to accept TAG shells and to provide stable loading/unloading.

So the grenade itself is made from trauma safe material called foam-poly-urethane (widely known as montage foam), it has an initiator inside which activates when the grenade leaves the barrel and a pyro element which provides an explosive effect. The weight of the grenade is 33 grams and its specific weight (mass-to-power ratio) is equal to 0.12 gram airsoft 6mm bb weight. Consequently any external factor can have a significant impact on projectile’s trajectory.

GP-1 is an explosive grag grenade with 50 .20 gram bbs inside (or paint bbs for paintball). The weight is 32-33 grams and muzzle energy of 15 Joules. Specific energy (energy per 1 squared mm does not exceeds 0.9 Joules). The delay time for pyro inside is 4-5 seconds and that is 75-90 meters when shooting with 30 degrees angle to horizon. Usually it explodes on several meters height or just after landing really.

GD-1 is made as a smoke designation device. It’s not really able to cover the entire field with smoke, but when there is no wind it can. It’s relatively fire safe (the temperature of the smoke doesn’t exceed the one when dry leaves or grass can be burned).

Blue grenades are Foam only (pointy ones) and marking powder (rounded ones). And they seem to be the real international future for TAG.

I’ve made a long review in English and posted it in news section on Arnies, but I think it will be useful to repeat it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvJLO8Yfag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiJC25fA4g

Since I do own one I had face with some problems using it. The first big issue I had was the quality of the upper O-ring in the bottom part of the shell. When using two-step charge or dry firing I had these seals being blown out of the barrel and I’ve lost 4 of 6 I had. After that the shell cannot take gas inside. Luckily enough I’ve filled the TAG Innovation company web site feedback form and a week after my inquiry they have provided me with a package of new O-rings free of charge. And I really appreciate with untypical for Russia level of customer support. Another problem I’ve face with is jamming threads on the lower part of the shell when you’re trying to strip it down. One unconscious movement and you’ll stick it dead stiff. Once I managed to unscrew it once using automotive silicone lubricant designed for some sour threads.. but now have another shell with the same issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqr7D41yVXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHhGH27SfWg

And it’s not easy to adjust your gear to fit TAG grenade launcher and acquiring additional shells is not just easts your cash ($700 more) but as firing pin is activated by pressing on it you cannot care them securely enough to be sure it will not explode in your pouch.

Overall it’s a great product! A bit overpriced – YES! But it’s very unusual and rare on the airsoft field plus gives you a very specific role in the game.

Hope further development of this idea and international expansion will make it more affordable and reliable. Nowadays I’m happy that Russian Company made something new and keep fingers crossed they will continue!

And of course some shooting right bellow.

If you have any quires don't hesitate - will try to answer as much as I know

Edited by Lancaster
  • Like 2

Is the projectile itself less than 40mm in diameter? (ie can you use it in a typical grenade launcher)

Also what kind of mechanism is the 40mm base? Is it similiar to Madbull/King Arms or is it much more like ICS? (This would easily determine if one can use CO2 as propellent)

Edited by kullwarrior

CO2 is recomended for any weather conditions and can operate up to -15C. The projectile is definitely less than 40mm in diameter (haven't really measured it) and can be used in some grenade launchers, but there is an issue of non rifled barrels which will not allow it to fly stable enough. I have a teammate who tried to use them with m203 (don't know the brand unfortunately), but there was a problem of striker not able to press the knocking button on the bottom, but it still was able to fire with delays and jams (not as good as with GLM) I have no expierence with madbull/KA grenade launcher hence cannot understand what you mean by mechanism...

Edited by Lancaster
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the continuing updates on these! Very interested in the products. Great story about the yellow patch.

Hopefully we will see a UK release for these! And not a watered down version to placate the whiny Health and safety types who are worried about everything! I'm sure there are ppl on these very forums who would have plenty to say about this awesome product and how it'll never see release, it's as if they don't want it and they can only see problems with it! Where's the optimism gone? Anyways I'm also sure there is a large silent majority who can't wait for this!

but I'm hopeful it'll come! The English manual is certainly a good sign.

Cheers again, more videos of it in action!

maybe you've seen that video - there is some shooting action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRJ52C0utVY

unfortunately the launcher cannot fit any single airsoft game as it's mainly offensive vehicles/shelters killing machine and I do spend more than $200 on projectiles and gas during single large event. but it really gives you a very new and special role on the field :)

Usually it works like any other commercially manufactured explosive grenade:  3 or 5 meters (depending on certain site/game) blast radius for infantry + hit by a bb or other grenade part. If shooting into windows – all people inside are dead if the room is small enough. Regarding the vehicles first hit – vehicle disabled, second – vehicle down.  And after the hit grenade has to explode, if it fails no hit is counted. Unfortunately it works well only with light vehicles like SUVs or pick-ups. Huge trucks, BTRs, BMPs, tanks can’t “feel” the impact because of the noise and hits are counted by game masters/instructors who are supposed to be close to heavy armor

• 2 months later...