C-mag for an AEP

Maekl

Hello, its been a while since my last visit, but I thought about sharing this little project with you. :) So, the other day I saw this photo:

1.png

...and asked myself "Why the heck not?"

So now I'm building one. I had a TM 100 round midcap that I didnt really need, so I decided to use it as a base. I started off by taking it down completely and butchering the internals like this. I took this picture when I was half way there. So I did the same to the other half aswell.

WP_000217_zps845f3f23.jpg

An mp5 highcap feed mech fitted.

IMG_0124-1_zps9dcb3603.jpg

Since the feed tube that remains is a double stack and single stack works a little better for highcap style magazines, some modifications had to be done. First I did this:

IMG_0123_zpsdf4bb8f8.jpg

Then I added this brass rod to make the BB channel the correct height for single stack.

IMG_0126-1_zpse721dd99.jpg

Just testing the channel height

IMG_0125_zpsf8149bb4.jpg

These are the pics for now, but here's a vid I just filmed:

It shows the basic design of the BB compartment, and how it lifts the BB's up to the feed mech.

I will post more pics and videos when the project continues. Ideas and comments are welcome. :)

Dude, thats just pure awesomesauce! accept no smaller compliment!

AEPs are usually unfair in pistol only games, just for the sheer firepower a hicap gives them, but this is just utterly "winbutton-like"... add a lipo and wait for peoples cryes and banning of that mag in your fields

BTW: the Skorpion AEP is much like that, just a bit bigger, but it could benefit from a double drummed magazine...

I love this! You just need to add space for a Lipo to up the ROF now...

The gun already has a 7,4V lipo installed and fires about 25rps when fully charged. :) I'm well known in my area for my crazy a$$ builds already, and I've made 2 drummags before this. The first one I made back in 2009 for my UMP

and last year a bit more advanced drummag for my 50rps KAC PDW:

The later one has two feed mechs combined and feed into a single tube, meaning that the magazine is capable of feeding very long bursts with a single wind at extreme firing rates. I recently upped the rof of my KAC PDW to about 65 rps, I havent tested the mag in it yet but I belive it will handle it just fine.

Thanks for the comments. Right now there are some feeding related issues. The coil spring in the mag is quite strong and because of that the BB's coming up the feed tube press against the nozzle so hard that the fps is lower on full auto than on semi. With my normal mags that isnt there, so I know it is caused by the mag. That needs to be sorted now before I continue the project any further.. :P

Fireknife, there has never been actual highcaps for these pistol aep's. They just call the long 100 round midcap a highcap for no apparent reason.

Fireknife, there has never been actual highcaps for these pistol aep's. They just call the long 100 round midcap a highcap for no apparent reason.

Huh that is weird.

Plus I recall a 'hi-cap' that came from HK-land but never saw one :P.

This actually makes me want to get a Glock 18c or M93R as my winter gun.

'FireKnife'

For AEGs "Highcaps" use clockwork mechs and "Midcaps" are double stacked springs and "lowcaps" are single stacked spring.

You get some confusion when you have the short AK higcaps (250 rounds) called midcaps, and the 190 round midcaps for STANAG called highcaps, and AEP glock midcaps that are longer than the normal mags called highcaps, so on and so forth.

ALSO YES, very interesting project. I once fitted a "lanyard battery wire" to my old AEP USP and had a massive 7.2v nicad (from the good old days of airsoft) I tried to run it as a primary for CQB but it was a chinese gun and immediatly developed fifty problems.

IMG_0127_zps158c44be.jpg

This isnt working.. The mag simply feeds with such force that it blocks the nozzle from returning forward. I have fought with this thing for the whole day and its still not working. :no: I have a super strong return spring in there that is spacered to absolute maximum, and I dont think I can do much more to the gun itself. It works fine with my normal mags. I might have to take down the mag and change the coil spring to a lighter one.

thats a bit of a bummer, is it possible to replace the spring in the high cap for a lighter one? will it not feed even with a partial wind? i would say trying a firmer spring on the loading nozzle but not sure if that would damage the mech inside :/.

another question i meant to ask is, you mentioned that your aep turns out 25rps, is this just from the lipo or did you do internal modifications? im intirgued as replacment parts seem scarce

With a slight wind it will fire on semi, but not feed not on full. Fully or partially winded it fires on average about 8 out of 10 shots normally on semi, but on full the BB's just dont go anywhere.

Its otherwise a stock TM, but has double eagle steel gears from a gen.2 DE usp aep. On top of that I've installed a mosfet and micro deans connectors.

Unfortunately the nozzle return spring can't be any stronger than it is now. With my normal mags the nozzle returns with so much force that it throws the BB's by the hopup nub before the piston actually gets released. So... yeah. I have to tweak some things.

Okay.. some success. (and failures) The tab connecting the lipos cells broke, and since its aluminium, I cant solder it back together.. Special kind of solder is required for that. So I need a new battery now, and can't use the gun for testing before that. :angry22:

Then the good news. I was able to reduce the feeding tension by changing the gear ratio of the feed mechanism. With m4/ak/g3 and other high caliber replica highcap magazine feed mechs you cant do that, because the feed wheel is physically within the clockwork system, but in small caliber magazines, the clockwork mechanism is apart from the actual feed wheel. Because of that, I was able to play with the gear ratios a little.

If you look at the 3'rd picture I posted, there are visible 2 gears. the gear that is fixed to the clockwork system (on the right), and the gear that transists the movement to the gear that's on the feed wheel. Now what I did was, I replaced the gear on the right with a bigger gear from a disassembled m4 highcap, and moved the transition gear accordingly so that the teeth spacings corrected again. Now the spring is fixed to a much larger gear, which basically means more speed and less torque for the load its trying to turn. (If you dont get it, think about it this way - its like switching to higher gear on a bicycle or a car) I didnt count the teeth, but it has roughly the twice the amount of teeth than the original, so the torque is about divided in half, and the amount of shots per wind doubled. So it's a win-win really. :)

According to my manual tests, the nozzle now has no problem pushing the BB's in the chamber. I'll have to wait for the new battery to arrive, and see how it actually goes. But my hopes are high at this point. ^^

Archived