GHK G5 First Impressions.

So with  GHK G5 in my hands its time for a quick first impressions. This will be a bit of a wall of text as my camera was not paying ball, nor do I own a photo studio like just about everyone on the Arms-Cool forums.

So in the box you receive the G5 itself, a magazine, M4 stock adaptor, speed loader and manual.

First thing you will notice with the G5 is its weight or utter lack of it. Due to the nearly all plastic construction it weighs a mere 1453g on its own, it honestly feels like a large pistol due to this.
It feels very sturdy, nothing creaks or wobbles. The stock is rock solid both folded and extended. The plastic itself feels very close to what Magpul parts are made of, if not exactly the same.
The handgrip is similar to an M4 style except more of a 'box', still fairly comfortable to hold though.

The fire selector is stiff but clicks into semi and full quite nicely, safe feels oddly sloppy but it does its job.
Which brings me to the trigger, unlike all the WE GBBR's I've used over the years the G5 has no definitive 'break' point. It feels very vague and almost like an AEG trigger.
?Not much to say about the charging handle apart from I wouldn't recommend HK slapping it, a good hit may well break it off. YMMV.
The hop-up is accessible from the right side (or left if you change the charging handle over) however you will need a tool to move it, no room for fingers.

Im unsure what the internals are made of, possibly zinc or aluminium but certainly not steel.
The Bolt and hammer both have fairly thick mold lines along them, although this shouldn't cause a problem you may wish to polish the bolt off a little.
The nozzle has a double O-Ring at the back which I found pleasantly surprising, should help efficiency nicely.

The magazine is very P-mag-alike as many of you have seen, very sturdy construction and so far none of the 6 mags I own leak a single bit.
The GHK manual suggests you do not fill these for more than 5 seconds as it can cause problems in auto. Although I didn't experience this it does cause your FPS to rise a fair amount and cause some inconsistency.
The springs out of the box are VERY stiff. The mag is said to hold 38 rounds but I can only get 30 rounds in mine with a bit of a struggle. Im going to leave them loaded overnight and see if this helps any.
For this reason, I would also recommend you load your G5 as if it were an MP5. (lock the bolt back) Otherwise you may damage your nozzle.
The mag fully loaded and gassed weighs 604g. (30rds of 0.3g ammo)

So to the more important part, shooting.
It chrono's at 330 in 18c temps using 0.2g bb's and is very consistent between shots, surprisingly so for a GBBR.

The GHK G5 kicks like nothing else I have fired before, it delivers a seriously strong jolt to your shoulder. You might actually have to control your automatic fire with this one.
Its also seriously loud, bound to make any indoor CQB player think twice before coming near you.

Accuracy using 0.3g bb's is fairly good but I wont be able to test this correctly until I've skirmished it tomorrow.

Thats it for now, overall Im quite impressed with this very small feather weight rifle. 
My skirmish tomorrow will reveal any problems no doubt.

Commence pic dump of what few images I did manage, any questions fire away!

Uxys5o1l.jpg
RXJ6YfMl.jpg
XOfhsxdl.jpg
hmOoK6cl.jpg
c8VQAj9l.jpg
tNN8zWyl.jpg
NyGjtrWl.jpg
bAjwk6Ol.jpg
8bR9x0xl.jpg
gS5z6sal.jpg
YrdA4Crl.jpg
pkeMx1Kl.jpg
kbLzemhl.jpg
nlxaZ6Zl.jpg
998kJYNl.jpg
6GkNMSIl.jpg
ROcSVHBl.jpg
m81PuN0l.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to share you some pictures of my new paintjob:   And even if it's not 100% linked, I finished my new loadout video with which main gun? The SRU GHK G5 of course! You can see the G5 durin

So with  GHK G5 in my hands its time for a quick first impressions. This will be a bit of a wall of text as my camera was not paying ball, nor do I own a photo studio like just about everyone on the A

Posted Images

Internally it looks exactly the same as the PDW; Hopefully that'll mean pre-existing PDW internals (available from Samoon) should fit in case any bits go wrong. Saying that, the GHK PDW is generally pretty damn reliable, I had mine for about 3,000 rounds and there was no wear to be concerned about in that space of time.

When you say the hop is adjusted by a tool, do you mean an Allen key or some sort of pokey device to nudge a wheel or similar? Going on the 'If it's a PDW inside' thing, the hop was my only real issue with it. 

By tool I mean just something pokey, flat screw driver or whatever you have to hand.
The hop is a wheel type.

So here is my brief after skirmish report.
Chono in the morning at about 10c was 310fps, cant complain about that.

Using 0.3g bb's the accuracy (once the hop was bedded in) was very good, not quite as good as my WE M4 but very close. Range was also very good, out-ranging many AEG's on the field.
This is a fine woodland gun as well as CQB.

Auto for the very few times I used it worked flawlessly, no noticeable drop off in longer bursts unlike the WE range.

Two issues I had however:

1. The mags are still ridiculously stiff, no matter what BB type I use I struggle to get 30bb's in them.
2. When inserting a fresh mag and releasing the bolt forward, it will not return to full front. It stops about 7-8mm away and has to be pushed forward.
If you dont push it forward and pull the trigger, nothing will happen until you go to release the mag, the gun will suddenly fire.
Likely related to the first issue.

Otherwise great gun thus far, loving it!
Not quite loving the headache it gives me from being so bloody loud. :P

• 2 weeks later...

FYI here is the reply I got directly from GHK regarding the release of a longer version;

THanks for email to us.
We won’t release longer version of G5 riffle, we’re working on the kits able to extend the existing G5. Did you already have one? May we know where you buy from and any opinions ?
Best regards,
GHK Team

So I guess I will order a short G5 and wait for some kits to come out. I asked them when those might be available.

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

I have mine since yesterday.

And for a GBBR it packs a punch.

Range is ridiculous. But in overhop. even with .25gr an the unit completely open.

I am going to have to work around that.

he mag spring is indeed quite stiff.

Overall it is much smaller and thinner than you would think.

the polymers are top notch.

The manual is simple but contains alle the maintenance info you need.

I have to say for those who are reluctant about entering the GBBR branch due to the high cost, this is an exellent contenter so far.

Average FPS atm is 370. a bit to high for me to use in cqb.

Is it better to use propane on this one too? silicone is really leaking from the green gas. Might explain the overhop.

Got one of these at the Airsoft Arms Fair today. Beautiful piece of kit - so loud and kicks like a mule!

Anyone else's hop adjusting wheel incredibly stiff? Had to strip it again to run the wheel back and forth a few times to make it easier to adjust but its still a huge effort to do so. Hopping problems I've heard of seem to be just a bedding in problem - started off over-hopping when set to minimum/off but now its slightly underhopping .3s on just above minimum.

Does anybody know how to take apart the magazine? The follower spring is so stiff and i can only get about 20BBs in there, seems I'm not alone in this.

Here she is:

332909_4841238361049_1398257830_o.jpg

Edited by Krydel

Are these replicas of an existing RS design, or is this all GHK's work? I see quite a lot of Robinson Armament XCR in there (particularly compared to the later versions with the XCR-FAST) as well as the obvious PDW cues. Also, will these things (and, by extension, the GHK PDWs) take WA-spec magazines?

FYI here is the reply I got directly from GHK regarding the release of a longer version;

Did you already have one? May we know where you buy from and any opinions?

I like that GHK are presumably asking people that contact them about their rifles how they're getting along and where they bought it from. Since the rifles are probably sold through distributors, knowing which retailers are actually selling the most guns must be useful to GHK, and even if they already know that asking how the customer's experience with the retailer was is light-years away from most airsoft manufacturers' "the retailer sold it to you; you're their problem now" attitude.

Is it better to use propane on this one too? silicone is really leaking from the green gas. Might explain the overhop.

Yeah - putting too much silicone through the gun is brilliant for the seals but absolutely awful for the hop-up rubber. My P226's rubber is so swollen that it won't relinquish its grip on the nozzle until almost full extension. I've seen a slight FPS boost which I'm putting down to the longer seal time but the over-hopping is pretty extreme. The best thing to do is to apply silicone lubricant only where it's actually needed - not with the gas, but by itself - and use non-silicone lubricant elsewhere (white lithium grease is pretty good for bolts/slides and the like) to minimize the amount of liquid silicone in the gun, which attracts dirt and swells the hop-rubber. I find it best to use propane during shooting, and use green gas only when filling the magazines before putting them into storage. If I'm shooting a lot, I sometimes also half-fill every tenth magazine or so with green gas, and top it off with propane.

Edited by PureSilver

Oooh, good observation, poor design choice I guess. Would intefere with other accessories as well like lights and such. Hmmm.

PureSilver, it is based on the CZ Scoprio EVO 9mm rifle is what I have been told. Think they went for the 5.56 mag design just due to ease of copying their existing PDW platform as well as for gas capacity.

CZ-Scorpion-Evo-3-S1.jpg

Edited by NonEx
  • Like 1

But in theory it's not a replica of any real gun, no. Obviously takes cues from contemporary firearm design though. I would say it's more GHK saying 'screw copying an existing gun' and creating what people want - a light, short, simple, accurate carbine that shoots well and kicks hard.

Think they went for the 5.56 mag design just due to ease of copying their existing PDW platform as well as for gas capacity.

^^ This too.

In theory they take WA-spec GBB M4 mags, I hear in practise the G5 magwell is wider than some M4s and they can fall out. Tbh though, you wouldn't want to, the G5 mags really are excellent!

Hnnng really want one.

Edited by Stuey

In theory they take WA-spec GBB M4 mags, I hear in practise the G5 magwell is wider than some M4s and they can fall out. Tbh though, you wouldn't want to, the G5 mags really are excellent!

The only reason I'd get one would be for the compatibility with my existing ProWins. GBBR magazines are &$%£ing expensive; five ProWins (three brand new, two nearly new), five Inokatsu gas routers, two spare ProWin feedlips and a ProWin trigger spring cost me £215.10 - £43 a magazine! I'm not doing that again in a hurry. If the G5 won't take them, something else will.

The hop up wheel is supposed to be very stiff, it is meant to be adjusted with a flathead screwdriver. Someone on arms-cool recommended leaving bbs in the mag for around 5 hours in order to allow the spring to weaken.  I have heard that G&P Pmags are compatible with the G5.

Edited by dazdarren

The only reason I'd get one would be for the compatibility with my existing ProWins. GBBR magazines are &$%£ing expensive; five ProWins (three brand new, two nearly new), five Inokatsu gas routers, two spare ProWin feedlips and a ProWin trigger spring cost me £215.10 - £43 a magazine! I'm not doing that again in a hurry. If the G5 won't take them, something else will.

Agree. That's one of the big hurdles with gas over electric, the cost of the mags. Which kinda beggars the question regarding the cost of Systema mags, anyway, that's clearly off topic.

While I agree that the costs can be astounding for magazines, I wouldn't let it stop me getting a gun I like. Just means it'll take me little longer to be able to field the unit.