GHK G5 First Impressions.

While I agree that the costs can be astounding for magazines, I wouldn't let it stop me getting a gun I like. Just means it'll take me little longer to be able to field the unit.

That's the thing - I like the looks, performance and build quality of the G5 at its price point ($295). However, if the choice is between the largely plastic, not-really-a-replica, no-trademarks G5 with five plastic 30rd magazines ($52 ea.) for $555, or the all-aluminium-alloy fully-trademarked G&P/VFC HK416C to use with my gorgeous 50rd ProWins for $488, well, the choice is clear. Maintaining GBBr magazines isn't cheap either, so the fewer types I have to maintain the better, not to mention, if I buy CO2 magazines of one type I can use them in both guns. I like the G5, but I don't $555 like it.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to share you some pictures of my new paintjob:   And even if it's not 100% linked, I finished my new loadout video with which main gun? The SRU GHK G5 of course! You can see the G5 durin

So with  GHK G5 in my hands its time for a quick first impressions. This will be a bit of a wall of text as my camera was not paying ball, nor do I own a photo studio like just about everyone on the A

Posted Images

That's the thing - I like the looks, performance and build quality of the G5 at its price point ($295). However, if the choice is between the largely plastic, not-really-a-replica, no-trademarks G5 with five plastic 30rd magazines ($52 ea.) for $555, or the all-aluminium-alloy fully-trademarked G&P/VFC HK416C to use with my gorgeous 50rd ProWins for $488, well, the choice is clear. Maintaining GBBr magazines isn't cheap either, so the fewer types I have to maintain the better, not to mention, if I buy CO2 magazines of one type I can use them in both guns. I like the G5, but I don't $555 like it.

you forgot the extra cost on broken down parts on the g&p/vfc gbbr's.

The WA/G&P System and VFC systems can be made decent independent of each other - But the attempt to mash the two together is just a bad idea, I've heard of nothing but compatability issues and unique parts in the 416C...

The [...] attempt to mash the two together is just a bad idea, I've heard of nothing but compatability issues and unique parts in the 416C...

Really? I haven't heard anything about the HK416C. Any links? Anyway, the point stands - if it's not the HK416C it's any other compact WA-system gun that costs less than $555, which is most of them.

Edited by PureSilver

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/208348-gp-hk416c/

Some brief info on page 2, and I believe more on GGI, although I'm yet to read it.

Fair point as well, a G&P M7A1 or something similar could be had for less than the G5 + mags. Thing is, GHK do make very good out of the box guns - Assuming you like the look of this or you're new to GIM guns (I'm not a massive fan either), it's not a bad option.

Lightweight, unique looking, good mags, reliable (GHK's PDW internals are pretty damned good), good performance and not as pricey as a brand new WOC/Ino/Viper setup. It's a marmite thing though - I wouldn't have one myself, but frankly any innovation in the GIM market is to be applauded!

• Like 2

Really? I haven't heard anything about the HK416C. Any links? Anyway, the point stands - if it's not the HK416C it's any other compact WA-system gun that costs less than $555, which is most of them.

Sure it is cheaper, but how long will the internals last compared to the G5?

I Have known plenty of people who dumped a lot of money in their G&P GBBR and gave up after a while.

• Like 1

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/208348-gp-hk416c/ [...] Some brief info on page 2, and I believe more on GGI, although I'm yet to read it.

If I'm honest, I blow hot and cold on this rifle. Some days I think, hell, why not....other times I'm in the mindset of PureSilver. Saying that, I've read bad juju on the HK416C G&P, so that wouldn't be the alt gun choice.

Yep, cheers for the links hwagan. The thread on GGi is much more informative and absolutely devastating - not a good buy at all.

Edited by PureSilver

Yep, cheers for the links hwagan. The thread on GGi is much more informative and absolutely devastating - not a good buy at all.

Ouch i can feel the pain... It's that moment you realize your crazy awesome project is just way beyond reasonable. Kudos to you for knowing when to walk away, that's more than i can say for myself...

I just laid the law down on 3 G5 mags for my PDW. It's too tight for the Inokatsu, because it's even tight for the PDW. Same tightness for my viper as well too... I'd say, Probably just needs a little sanding. Once I get my PDW perfect again (perfect meaning bolt lock back) then my PDW will play again!!!

As or right now, I'm playing with my Ino 2011, Ino 2009, Viper 2012. All seems pretty reliable. Oh PureSilver: My pro win hammer spring literally cracked in half. Sucks for the damn spring! Replaced with a G&P 150%. Probably gonna replace the hammer too...

Some info from arms-cool;

GHK G5 "tragedy"

48545051817672824868810.jpg

Busted piston head O-ring.

Source; http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.arms-cool.net/forum/thread-137241-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhiyBEZZcvgSOPQhmb7jSUGqMq4pSw

A "tragedy" of other sorts, a testiment to the G5 recoil powers, or just someone with seriously sensetive skin;

Precautions Use caution GHK G5

This morning I used the G5 hit four cartridges and then my shoulder on the tragedy ...

1305243.jpg

Source; http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.arms-cool.net/forum/thread-137228-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhj63uLljjcatGRnuPkTC2bvKmQJVw

Note that he was kind enough to censor out his armpit! :D

Also, why you shouldn't do the "HK-slap" on the G5 (broken and "McGyver" fixed cocking-handle);

m9Lq5qV.jpg

Source; http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.arms-cool.net/forum/thread-135333-1-2.html&usg=ALkJrhiK-9ZG0rtZTJEyezGSxn_Wdd-XeA

Edited by NonEx

I just laid the law down on 3 G5 mags for my PDW. It's too tight for the Inokatsu, because it's even tight for the PDW. Same tightness for my viper as well too... [...] Oh PureSilver: My pro win hammer spring literally cracked in half. Sucks for the damn spring! Replaced with a G&P 150%. Probably gonna replace the hammer too...

So you're saying that the G5 magazines are too big for the Inokatsu, the Viper and need sanding even to fit in a PDW? That means that my ProWins will be too small for the G5, then, I should think. I would replace your ProWin spring with a Viper one, they're closer in appearance to the real thing, BTW.

Some info from arms-cool;

GHK G5 "tragedy" [...] A "tragedy" of other sorts, a testiment to the G5 recoil powers, or just someone with seriously sensetive skin; [...] Also, why you shouldn't do the "HK-slap" on the G5 (broken and "McGyver" fixed cocking-handle)

Yep, with a plastic cocking handle that was pretty much waiting to happen. No HK b****slap for this gun! That recoil picture is ridiculous - those aren't bruises, those are abrasions. Does this thing have a buttpad or a cheesegrater?!

I'm not sure what you are saying regarding the recoil picture ? I never said they were bruises ?

The guys posting on arms-cool are joking that it was the fierce recoil of the gun that gave him the marks and that next they'll need earplugs to deal with the deafening report of the gun. One of the ways you can tell that it wasn't is that the recoil is in-line with the buttpad, which doesn't have sharp edges, so severe recoil should present as contusions (bruises) which are deeper, darker marks than those pictured. I think what is pictured are either abrasions (cuts, scrapes - probably from pulling the gun too hard into his shoulder) or some sort of reaction (maybe a sweat rash or allergy). I was joking that the G5 must have a cheesegrater for a buttpad to leave marks like that!

Edited by PureSilver

I have heard that G&P Pmags are compatible with the G5.

Can you give us the source?

I am interested.

A G5 mag weighs about 590gr with 30bb capacity, a G&P weighs 450gr with 39bb capacity.

So buying a G&P mag would be the logical choice at least if it keeps it's gas.

Regarding those bruises; maby the user has very delicate skin.

I mean, the G5 packs quite a punch in airsoft terms, still nowhere near RS level.

Anybody managed to open up a magazine? Can't get the baseplate off mine and it leaks (only slightly, but enough to empty in storage over time).

I am interested.

A G5 mag weighs about 590gr with 30bb capacity, a G&P weighs 450gr with 39bb capacity.

G5 mags have a 38 BB capacity. You need to keep the springs compressed for about a week for the tension to adjust so they're not ridiculously stiff so that you can fit that amount in.

Edited by Krydel

I am interested.

No direct source per se. There is one vid by Public Enemy where he shoots a GHK PDW with a G5 Mag. the PDW used to run on GHK stanag mag (which will be sorely missed, btw), which are identical to GHK WA mags in every way, minus the valve lock. A logical conclusion is that therefore every WA mag runs in the PDW with its valve lock removed (the damn things create more problems than they solve anyway), and if they function in the PDW, they also work in the G5. You'll need to remove the valve locks from your Pmags, if you haven't done so already.

I am interested.

Regarding those bruises; maby the user has very delicate skin.

I mean, the G5 packs quite a punch in airsoft terms, still nowhere near RS level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIHrwsgU0E

There is a video on the Pmags in the G5