GHK G5 First Impressions.

Oooo...thanks for thw heads up. Ill still do the cut. Ill see if there's any effect. The TN barrel's bore is pretty slick...

Plus I'll be playing with hop buckings. The TN barrel goes into my other G5....the one I haven't set the hop for. The one I've been putting rounds through is pretty much good to go. If anything, it'll be what I base the results on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to share you some pictures of my new paintjob:   And even if it's not 100% linked, I finished my new loadout video with which main gun? The SRU GHK G5 of course! You can see the G5 durin

So with  GHK G5 in my hands its time for a quick first impressions. This will be a bit of a wall of text as my camera was not paying ball, nor do I own a photo studio like just about everyone on the A

Posted Images

Keep in mind, stock barrel is 6.03 already. 

Got a source for that?

Call me sceptical but none of the retailers or even Samoon seem to be stating it has a 6.03mm as standard and over the last few years most claims of stock barrels being tightbores seem to have been based on measuring them with inaccurate equipment for such small bores. It'd be nice if it had one as standard but history tells me to doubt a lot of these claims.

Got a source for that?

Call me sceptical but none of the retailers or even Samoon seem to be stating it has a 6.03mm as standard and over the last few years most claims of stock barrels being tightbores seem to have been based on measuring them with inaccurate equipment for such small bores. It'd be nice if it had one as standard but history tells me to doubt a lot of these claims.

And what gives if it's a "tightbore" or not? What's important is how it's built. It might matter in regards to perhaps guesstimating how many FPS you can expect to gain by swapping the barrels. But in regards to accuracy, 6.03 or not doesn't really play here; you might get a 6.03 that's marketed as a "tightbore" and get way worse accuracy.

I mean, so if it's a 6.03 you'll call it a day and won't change it even if it shoots like ###### or in a mediocre fashion?

Fox.

Edited by Fox62

I stand corrected, could of sworn I read it was 6.03 on Samoons Facebook page but hey ho.

To be fair the accuracy of the G5 isnt bad by any means, I just think there is room for improvement which can be achieved through a bucking change.

Ah, wasn't meant to be snubbing you by the way!

The G5 barrel is fine, how much you'd actually notice in accuracy terms between 6.04 -> is 6.01 is debatable. As you say, you'd be better off changing the hop rubber or otherwise.

And what gives if it's a "tightbore" or not? What's important is how it's built.

You are correct there, quality is more important than the bore itself but that's not the point I was making. It's quite common for someone to take a set of digital verniers to their barrel, find they read something like 6.04mm and immediately conclude that the brand in question fits tightbores as standard when it isn't the case due to them reading around 0.03mm/0.04mm under the actual bore size, which happens to be the difference between what we'd consider a 'standard bore' and a 'tight bore' barrel.

I've actually seen a manufacturer/distributer use digital verniers in a promotional photo a few years back showing 6.03mm on the screen, if that's how they actually determined the bore of the barrel then it's a false description, even if the quality of the barrel was good.

This is what Samoon states the inner barrel is on the stock inner barrel.

http://gyazo.com/1bcf42eeed32b51dc4c6edeaa9a6f588

Fair enough, I'll trust that until the day I can get my hands on a G5 for myself :)

Krydel, I know. I have no problem with being wrong. :P

Back to accuracy, I put a Maple Leaf (60 degree) rubber and nub in my G5 today.
Ive run out of light to do any decent testing but initial impressions are very good.
Laser line accuracy with 0.3's to about 30 meters (roughly), ran out of light adjust my hop for better range. Will give it another go tomorrow if I have the time.

Odd. 

I installed a Prometheus 6.03mm x 208mm Barrel in one of my G5's and ended up dropping between 3-5 FPS.

I changed the hop bucking to a G&G Green Hop Bucking. Upon inspection, the lip held the BB tighter so I thought...it'd have better air seal. The bump protruded way too much which called for removing material on the hop arm. Test fired the gun and I ended up having feeding issues. Upon racking the cocking handle, the bb would shoot. Pulling the trigger afterwards ended up in a dry fire...followed by bbs rolling out of the barrel with the gun pointed down.

I installed the original hop bucking back and the said feed issue corrected itself.

I haven't been able to compare the accuracy between the 2 guns I have yet. Who knows if I'll be able to do proper testing.

Due to the mod to the hop arm, my gun now has a zero hop setting for the first quarter turn of the hop dial. Inspecting the gun's hop, I should still be able to run .36's through it and have the hop set to the sweet spot of that weight bbs. I don't really intend to. Shooting .25g bbs at 315 FPS at 70 degrees  Fahrenheit using propane is just fine for me.

Another thing I am impressed about the gun is that even if I end up using green gas which has lots of lube, my shots stay consistently straight and does not vary dramatically distance wise between shots. 

Yeap. Its probably my fave buy of the year. Haven't gamed with it though I've put a few hundred rounds through it. The gun is a performer...no doubt about it. If anything, I wish I had picked up the GHK PDW when they released a limited run this year. Oh well...maybe Umarex will pick that up? I'm totally surprised about this offering by GHK that I might consider trying out the newer AK platform. 

I had a wee chat with Tim from Redwolf today via Facebook. I asked him about getting a G5 and he said that he had considered it for himself at first, but had changed his mind after hearing that the bolt would wear against some parts, causing damage, if not properly lubed.

Has anybody else heard of, or experienced this?

No need to sand anything. There are some cast marks on the bolt that comes into contact with the hammer that you may want to sand down...it'll wear itself out over time if you didn't want to spend 2 minutes to sand it down some anyway.

You should have asked more into what he had to say...Perhaps you should have asked him how many G5's they've sold locally and how many have come back in for repairs...and what those repairs required.

I do the same thing as bankz does on some guns. I run my LM4's BCG dry save for the o-ring for the bolt. My TM Glocks which are fitted with Detonator and Trigger Happy Slides as well as my old TM XDM with a Detonator Slide had the rails polished and required no lube...Every single one of those guns action was buttery smooth.

-----------------

There's a side to side play of the hop arm where it pivots. To reduce the play, I have used a .01mm shim. It made a significant difference in terms of play reduction without impeding the movement of the arm when the hop dial is turned. Another thing is that I put a dab of super glue to hold the nub which pushes down on the hop bucking. I did all this in the hopes of stabilizing the hop a bit more. 

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py

Managed to have a hold and a quick go of a G5 today and I was very impressed. 4/5 Degrees outside and it was happpily shooting away! I could believe how light it is! Sans mag my Desert Eagle weighs more im sure. Cooldown didnt seem an issue, mags where very heavy though, looks very nicley made, very compact not much larger than my P90.

Almost sold on buying on soon as im paid. Though I did hear a few slightly worrying things, that many of the major internal componants where plastic? and that a few conked out beyond economical repair after 6 months of regular use. Could anyone expand on this?

Bankz...you've been around the forums long enough. Listen to those who know their ish. Get this gun.

If by chance you run into anyone who has one on the field...talk to them about it.....ask to shoot it so you can see how far/accurate these suckers are.

Bankz, I shoot mine in full auto all the time and most times do a full mag dump when providing covering fire. I only have 2 mags so imagine my reloads with bbs and gas. No issues with cool down, rate of fire, range and reliability and mine is an RATech custom.

Edited by PanteraTigris

Ahhh stop it!! I must have one!

Ive been using gas almost exclusivley since the G39 came out and since then had a plethora of different rifles and SMGs but nothing felt quite right, except the G39 - why i had 3 lol.

When i had a quick go with the G5 it instantly felt comfortable, a lovley mix between Rifle and SMG

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You will. In a few days :)

Another thing I noticed about my gun is that when setting the hop, it seems like I have to turn the dial a whole lot. Then when I back it up some...it over hops. So I have to keep backing it up. Once set however, the dial stays in place and my hop setting is good to go.

Not sure if thats the same for everyone else.

Krydel, I know. I have no problem with being wrong. :P

Back to accuracy, I put a Maple Leaf (60 degree) rubber and nub in my G5 today.

Ive run out of light to do any decent testing but initial impressions are very good.

Laser line accuracy with 0.3's to about 30 meters (roughly), ran out of light adjust my hop for better range. Will give it another go tomorrow if I have the time.

Any more follow up on testing? Also I had a discussion on another forum as to whether the hop rubber was s standard AEG or something special as the other guy reckoned it was some weird proprietary one in the ra-tech upgrade he had whereas Samoon insisted it was a standard AEG. So which version Maple Leaf did you get?

Cheers

Nat

B->

So im in the middle of talking to a chap about one now (the OD one on ZeroIn)

Chap says its had possibly around 4-5k through. Whos at that mark any issues?

post-21477-13846208708602_thumb.jpg

post-21477-13846208841837_thumb.jpg

post-21477-13846209000836_thumb.jpg

Pics of the internals. Usually i just buy and see later but rather low on cash this time! Want to be sure!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2